The MT-07 Forum

Victoria to Nanaimo and back

Burley

Been riding year-round but not much highway lately. Doing "The Loop" next weekend with some guys from my old workplace so thought it was a good idea for a practice highway run. No trip north of Victoria is complete without a stop at the original Serious Coffee at Mill Bay. I had to stop anyway as my hands were freezing. After that it was smooth sailing to Nanaimo. First time that way since my wife and I witnessed a fatal collision last summer so I had to really focus as I passed that same intersection. Lots of cool shops in Nanaimo. Found my place for a bowl of soup (did I mention I was freezing?). After that, I booted it back. Some strong winds to contend with along with some pokey traffic, but all-in-all a nice excursion. Been sitting by the gas fireplace for a while now. Still cold.

Wife and I went past a wrecked sportbike last summer. The rider was killed. They had already taken him away but the bike remained or what was left of it. Wife was shaken by the scene.

You coulda stopped at Alice's Restaurant in the south end of Nanaimo. Back in the day when the ol gal was running it the food was to die for and the portions were huge. It's still OK with the kids running it but not nearly as impressive.

A little Nanaimo history from an ex Nanaimoite ...lol.

I noticed Alice's restuarant ont the way in. I'll do that next time for sure.

Accident was a small pick-up that ran a red light and got T-boned by a semi. Intersection at Chemainus and the highway. I was in my Toyota Sienna. Didn't know I had it in me to take evasive action the way I did (I thank motorcycle riding actually). We were mere inches away from being part of the whole thing. I can still hear the impact -- like a paper bag being popped in slow motion.

But on to happier things -- planning more excursions up Island. Possibly up to my home town of Port McNeill.

Archived