The MT-07 Forum

How to: FZ-07 throttle body sync

V8titanpwr

Wow, a spot on and awesome "How To"! Thanks for sharing and I'm gonna sticky this one!
I agree, great post and I'm not skeered to do it.  Tomorrow I get to do the front struts on my Camry .. time to get dirty again.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Great write up, thanks!

Question: can you use a vacuum gauge instead of a manometer?

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

No idea on that one, sorry.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Great write up, thanks!  
Question: can you use a vacuum gauge instead of a manometer?
Purely and intuitive guess, but does a vacuum gauge only measure one thing at a time?  I'm guessing that would not work, the manometer hooks up to both throttle bodies at one time and the vacuum is sucking on both silmutanteously.  The adjustments are very sensitive and adjusting one affects the other immediately.  Seems that would not be possible.  Any real mechanics out there? ;)
  • Like 1

A regular vacuum guage will not work. As stated above, a manometer is easy to make at home or you can buy one online pretty cheap. I check my throttle bodies right before the first ride each spring. HEck, this Winter my FZ-09 will be torn all down for winter maintenance anyways so it will be easy to do. I usually fully disconnect my fuel tank and wrap it in bubble wrap for the winter. I'll go out and swirl the gas around a bit ea month to avoid rust.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I see, just thought I'd check. I have a 4 bank vacuum gauge that was used to sync the 4 carbs on my CB550. It measures the vacuum on each carb so they're all pulling about the same amount of fuel. Figure I'd use it if I could, but I'll just make the trip to the hardware store and fashion my own manometer.

Thanks fellows.

• Sad 1

Everything went braap.

Awesome write up. I'm totally going to do this myself if the dealer doesn't at my 1st service.

A quick search on Google netted this site, in case anyone was looking to buy a manometer: http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Pressure/Manometers/Stationary/Series1221-1222-1223

I would think the cheaper series 1221 with red gage fluid would suffice.

• Like 1

Life is good on 2 wheels!

If you go to the dealer to have it done they will use proper gauges not a homemade affair although my home built manometer is more sensitive than my gauges. The manometer measures vacuum the same as gauges, I have both but prefer gauges as with the manometer if you make a mistake the engine can digest the oil:( I use transmission fluid in mine as I find the red easier for me to see.

Good post OP, thanks.

The manometer measures vacuum the same as gauges, I have both but prefer gauges as with the manometer if you make a mistake the engine can digest the oil. I use transmission fluid in mine as I find the red easier for me to see.

Good post OP, thanks.
MAN-O-METER just sounds way cooler too  8-)
  • Like 1

The manometer measures vacuum the same as gauges, I have both but prefer gauges as with the manometer if you make a mistake the engine can digest the oil. I use transmission fluid in mine as I find the red easier for me to see.

Good post OP, thanks.
Right, it's about being cool and hip, who cares if it works. :P 

What an awesome & helpful write up. I think im going to have to do the throttle body sync myself since the dealership didn't do it when they did the first service. Needles to say im pretty pissed about them not doing it, but dont know if its worth the hassle of arguing with them and trying to make them do it for free.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Good post OP, thanks.
Is that similar to a man o gram?   ::)
  • Like 2

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 2 weeks later...

On my FZ-09 there is one screw that you're not supposed to change and you're supposed to adjust the other cylinders to match that one. Does anybody know if the FZ-07 has one cylinder that you're not supposed to adjust? Alternatively, does anybody have an approximate vacuum amount (mm hg) that we should sync to on the 07?

• 2 weeks later...

i did mine without taking the bike apart. just need long needle nose to get the hose on the nipple and precision screwdriver with flexible extension to get to the adjustment screw.

• Like 2

Mine was done at the 600 miles maintenance interval (which was actually at 700+ miles) by the dealer,they had my bike in for 2 hours not sure if it needed adjustment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Is that similar to a man o gram?   ::)
Since we are in a non-metric country, perhaps it should be called "man-o-foot" :P
Marco
Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sorry, a bit late to both the party and this discussion.

As you can see by my avatar (from 1981, iirc) I've had my hands on (and off, lol) a couple of bikes in the last 44 years of riding - Yeah, I'm old, my avatar may as well be also.

I've a question about that rubber hose over the left side vac port. I've not done this yet, only just reached 600 miles on mine. Thse nice picts allow me to actually see where the right side pot is - very helpful. I'll be doing this w/o touching the tank as well, btw.

That rubber hose on mine seems way too loose to be making a seal on that port. It's a bit unusual to find a downstream vac port with a hose on it. Does anyone know where that hose goes and is there a seal on the nipple underneath it. On mine it looks like there's a plastic pipe rising from the throttle body that the hose sits loosely on.

A couple other points,

vac gauges, manometers Carbtune, Twinmax - it doesn't matter what device is used to measure the vacuum as long as both gauges (2 in this case) read the same when one vacuum source is applied. My set of 4 vac gauges are so old (1970s!), I'll hook up a small vacuum pump to all my gauges at one time using 3 Y joints to check that at least 2 read the same vacuum. I'll then use those to check the sync.

And the question about leaving one air screw alone is a good one. I also- have an Aprilia in the garage and one of those screws is actually left closed. The other is used to balance any manufacturing imperfections between the 2 cylinders.

To my eye, it appears that my left side screw is turned in further than the right.

thanks,
rick

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to be doing the throttle body sync soon. Thanks for the diy guide. I do have a question though. What is the absolute amount of vacuum for both throttle bodies supposed to be? I understand you should equalize both sides, but one could open both wide open or close both completely and be able to achieve equilibrium in both cases.

In other words, if I just hook up one throttle body for vacuum measurement, what is the reading supposed to be?

TIA

• Premium Member

the difference between the 2 should not be more than 1.33 kPa (10mmhg) if you need to Adjust use [HASH]1(left side as sitting on the bike) throttle body as the standard ( so leave it alone) and adjust number 2 to bring the vacuum below the 1.33 kPa .Engine is at idle speed when checking 1100 to 1300 rpm. so you hook it up to both to see the difference.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
Is there a adjuster between the throttle bodies  to adjust the high speed balance or is that not needed.
Each TB has a screw and from what I understand is you leave the one alone and adjust the other to bring the difference of VAC down if it is above the 1.33kPa. nothing in between.  

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Yep but that can only set the balance right at the bottom at tick over, but maybe
they don't need a high speed adjustment as they can set them up at the factory I will
have a look see if I can see a adjustment but suspect there isn't one. Done a BMW and
a Kawasaki recently and they both did so that's why I asked just used to doing both.