The MT-07 Forum

Akra or M4?

crazykyle709

crazykyle709

I'm looking for something loud, deep, throaty, and aggressive. I would be taking the db killer out of the Akra. Here is what I would be paying for each one Akra Carbon w/ EJK $883 or M4 w/ EJK $581. Which one would be the loudest and deepest in your opinion? Thanks!

crazykyle709
Akra all the way ... btw, you don't need EJK if you pick this exhaust.

That would be awesome! I thought I heard that I would need a EJK if I take the db killer out.

Akra all the way ... btw, you don't need EJK if you pick this exhaust.
That would be awesome! I thought I heard that I would need a EJK if I take the db killer out.
You are right, you will need one of you take the db killer out.

Even though the manufacturer states you don't need a fuel controller, none of them there must ride an FZ-07 with just the pipe because they would know about the excessive popping and would've bought an EJK or other. They say that to make it look more enticing. The excessive popping will compel you to get one. An EJK will not only help to eliminate the popping on decal or in between shifts but it will smooth out the throttle and eliminate most of the engine braking. you'll be glad you spent the money, honest!  Also, any other modifications to the fuel/air mixture can be tuned in with the EJK as well.

Then there's the ever popular 'flash tune' that does even more but isn't adjustable on the fly. They're both nice, your decision.

Which pipe? The M4 is plenty loud from what I've heard in video's but it's going to require more work and ruining your pipe. You may want that stock pipe for when you sell your bike.

Beemer

crazykyle709

I'm not too worried about ruining stock pipe with the M4. Also I'm not too worried about the work of installing it. Between the two which is louder with the db killers out? I want loud but I also don't want it to sound straight piped with no tone.

I'm not too worried about ruining stock pipe with the M4. Also I'm not too worried about the work of installing it. Between the two which is louder with the db killers out? I want loud but I also don't want it to sound straight piped with no tone.

M4 will be louder for sure.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

M4 for a bump in midrange and low end, Akra for a bump across the entire rpm range . (Going off dyno's posted)

Looks like shorter exhausts boost low's and mid's and full length or extended length systems provide a higher rpm bump... something something header length something something backpressure

From what I've heard the M4 may be louder than an Akra C.F. pipe but without an accurate side by side video sound comparison it's hard to say for sure. No one around here with an M4 pipe. GL!

Beemer

M4 for a bump in midrange and low end, Akra for a bump across the entire rpm range . (Going off dyno's posted) 
Looks like shorter exhausts boost low's and mid's and full length or extended length systems provide a higher rpm bump... something something header length something something backpressure
image.jpg ? Sorry I had to. 

image.jpg ? Sorry I had to. 
. You get it !!! lol perfect . That's what I was thinking hahha

I have the M4 with no EJK or tune and I love the sound. It's really low and mean sounding. There is a lot of popping on decel, but I actually like how it sounds. I also like the look of the carbon M4. I don't know if its the "best" exhaust, but I'm extremely happy with it and the price was pretty good too.

dentalprodigy

I've recently heard the akra without baffle. I have the M4. In the loudness department, I think M4 is louder.

Guest 2wheeler
eliminate most of the engine braking
Hey Beemer, I don't think that is true. I was told that the engine breaking is a byproduct of an EPA thing relating to majorly shutting down the fuel supply when you cut off the throttle. I was told that only can be fixed by tweaking with a flash not a straight up fuel controller such as the EJK. 
Obviously I may have gotten bad info, but it would be good to know which is correct. Anybody have the poop on this?

When I installed my EJK and Ti Akra exhaust, the engine braking was slightly reduced, but certainly not eliminated.

eliminate most of the engine braking
Hey Beemer, I don't think that is true. I was told that the engine breaking is a byproduct of an EPA thing relating to majorly shutting down the fuel supply when you cut off the throttle. I was told that only can be fixed by tweaking with a flash not a straight up fuel controller such as the EJK. 
Obviously I may have gotten bad info, but it would be good to know which is correct. Anybody have the poop on this?

How do you think a flash tune eliminates it, by giving it less gas??? You're going to believe what you want. I recommend you ride an FZ-07 with an EJK and form your own opinion.  

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...
Does the DB killer in the M4 make a big difference over not having it in?
Huge difference. Bought my bike a few weeks ago with an M4 installed, but it didn't come with the DB killer as the previous owner had removed it. It is very loud. Loud enough to make me pay for a stock baffle from M4. Put it in this past weekend and it is much quieter (I think it reduces it by 8 decibels (think of it as every 3 decibel increase the loudness doubles or so). So you could say it is substantially reduced. 
It is almost too much for me. I would like to split the difference, but I am afraid to take a drill to add holes to a newly purchased baffle.

hugson2wheels

If you want loud and throaty Akra titanium no baffle. It's beautiful lol... Although I recommend earplugs.

I'm going to cut the pipes from the baffle flush to aquire that "in between" sound. In other words, the two pipes that go into the exhaust are going to be cut flush as to totally eliminate them. Hopefully that will be a good balance.

I don't mind the sound but sometimes I feel bad for my neighbors even though I take it easy when I'm near my house.

P.S. I wouldn't bother with the EJK. Flash your ECU at 2wheeldynoworks. No comparison between the two.

If god created us in his image, does that mean god is an egomaniac as well?

If you want loud and throaty Akra titanium no baffle. It's beautiful lol... Although I recommend earplugs. 
I'm going to cut the pipes from the baffle flush to aquire that "in between" sound. In other words, the two pipes that go into the exhaust are going to be cut flush as to totally eliminate them. Hopefully that will be a good balance.

I don't mind the sound but sometimes I feel bad for my neighbors even though I take it easy when I'm near my house.

P.S. I wouldn't bother with the EJK. Flash your ECU at 2wheeldynoworks. No comparison between the two.
Thanks for the Info! I just bought my bike on Saturday and was looking at exhaust options. M4 should be arriving today, I'll try it with and without. I'm just excited to be able to hear it finally lol 

hugson2wheels

Haha... I feel ya man. I had my fz-07 sounding like a sewing machine for a few weeks and it sucked. Mostly because drivers don't hear you coming. Loud pipes save lives.

If god created us in his image, does that mean god is an egomaniac as well?

• 2 weeks later...

as far as i have heard when people look in detail, thats correct. things like a power commander cant actually control some aspects of the ecm. the full flash will correct and improve on all aspects of the bike, and while no one else has mentioned it, to correct the afr to be richer and extend the life of your bike.

When I installed my EJK and Ti Akra exhaust, the engine braking was slightly reduced, but certainly not eliminated.
was it a full flash system or a piggy back system? because on the flash tune system there is a specific setting to "eliminate" the engine breaking. most of the way if not all the way.

Archived