The MT-07 Forum

"Auto tune"

liami

Heard something about letting the FZ "auto tune" itself before. I think the procedure was something like turning on the bike and letting it run, without any revving at all, until the fan kicked on or something like that. Anybody know about this or if that's the correct way for it? Just want my bike to get used to my new exhaust as best as it can before I get it actually dynotuned later after my new air filter

• Global Moderator

I think the bike ECU learns as you ride it. I have not heard of the procedure your are talking about. Maybe that is supposed to reset it?

• Premium Member

Are yout talking about...FlashTune "active tune" or PCV "auto tuner" and few others have an auto tune feature in which you enter the AFR values you want the bike to run at and it will require you to manually accept adjustment "trims" till it gets to the point the "trims" are practically nonexistent after a few rides...you cannot fully tune "closed loop" fueling aka ECO mode, that is a curse -_-
These auto tune devices are good but not required to use an aftermarket exhaust or aftermarket air filter

These auto tune devices are very very very hands on, it helps if you have someone who has experience in using em...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I mean just the bike's ECU itself. Heard I don't need a power commander or to plug it in. I don't have a power commander, I'm getting the ECU custom reflashed later with a dyno after I get the exhaust and air filter and filter cover on

I mean just the bike's ECU itself. Heard I don't need a power commander or to plug it in. I don't have a power commander, I'm getting the ECU custom reflashed later with a dyno after I get the exhaust and air filter and filter cover on

Our resident ecu vendor is @2wheeldynoworks. They are the greatest tuner in the country, I'm serious and will put them up against any tuner in the country. I have stories about them that I can't legally tell in public that would blow your mind.

Send them your ecu on Monday, get it back by Thursday be riding again Friday. Best tune you can get, they have every aspect of the FZ-07 mastered, have flashed more FZ-07's than anyone in the planet. I have also seen people blow their bikes up trying to tune by themselves.

The learning curve on flashing your own bike is easily risking damaging your own engine.

Are yout talking about...FlashTune "active tune" or PCV "auto tuner" and few others have an auto tune feature in which you enter the AFR values you want the bike to run at and it will require you to manually accept adjustment "trims" till it gets to the point the "trims" are practically nonexistent after a few rides...you cannot fully tune "closed loop" fueling aka ECO mode, that is a curse -_- These auto tune devices are good but not required to use an aftermarket exhaust or aftermarket air filter

These auto tune devices are very very very hands on, it helps if you have someone who has experience in using em...

FTECU's "Active tune" is different from the others that record values and then after a ride you have to accept or reject. it's a one time a ride thing, so if your tuning for a particular day at the track, good.  
FTECU's Active tune adjusts the A/F ratio on the fly as you drive and requires no rider input, it is considered a real break through. Needed is the special Lambda sensor and Active tune module, a downloaded ECU modification to apply to your ECU, Software require to flash the ECU. Best to install in conjunction with a 2WDW's flash for your particular set up.
In my case When I sent in my ECU to 2WDW, they sent it to FTECU and they applied the changes necessary to accept the Active Tune, and Nel's flash file for my bike. So for me it was plug and play, and it is awesome. As I understand it does (with the replacement of the O2 sensor with the proprietary Lambda sensor), adjust both closed loop  and open loop, but I am not positive on the intricacies of it's functions. I do know my MT07 runs stronger smoother and the power band is more even through all the RPM ranges. I'll put this in a separate thread with pictures.

• Premium Member
Our resident ecu vendor is @2wheeldynoworks. They are the greatest tuner in the country, I'm serious and will put them up against any tuner in the country. I have stories about them that I can't legally tell in public that would blow your mind.  
Send them your ecu on Monday, get it back by Thursday be riding again Friday. Best tune you can get, they have every aspect of the FZ-07 mastered, have flashed more FZ-07's than anyone in the planet. I have also seen people blow their bikes up trying to tune by themselves.

The learning curve on flashing your own bike is easily risking damaging your own engine.

And Hordpower, he is very familiar with the FZ07 motor! He is in Ohio and dynos and flashes FZ07's.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Our resident ecu vendor is @2wheeldynoworks . They are the greatest tuner in the country, I'm serious and will put them up against any tuner in the country. I have stories about them that I can't legally tell in public that would blow your mind.  

I will agree whole heatedly with the above. Not only does 2WDW know how to tune/flash, Nels the proprietor is one of the most helpful and sincere people on the planet. It is a rare quality these days to get his level of expertise with such a personal touch as well. Also a note on tuning Our specific bikes.
Before you can flash tune an ECU, you need to unlock it. It takes up to a month or more to "decode" an ECU, thousands of lines of code that need to be identified with a particular function of the ECU. There are a few different firms that "unlock" ECU's and subsequently offer flash services. Examples are Flash Tune ECU, and Woolich.   They offer similar services, and tuners like 2WDWs use these software solutions to implement their flashes derived from dyno tuning bikes with specific set ups, buying subscriptions to the relevant proprietary flash software. As it turns out only a vastly experienced tuner will know which "service" is better for each brand and model of bike. As it turns out, apparently FTECU has the edge on Yamaha ECU flashing/decoding, while Woolich, for example, is better for Kawasaki. This knowledge is what you pay for when you get your ECU flashed.

My experience with Nels was this, I sent my ECU for flashing but for some reason, the MT-07 ECU file had been deleted from FTECU's database. Nels explained the situation and gave me the options, the one I took was to allow FTECU to use my ECU as a donor to extract the code. (supposed to take 10 days) As it turned out they (FTECU) found some unexplained differences in my ECU from previous MT07 ECUs. It took one month to turn around my ECU, but I paid for nothing else but my flash from 2WDWs, no shipping around the US, or back to me in the Philippines, and for my trouble FTECU gifted me an Active tune module (thanks to Nels input), programmed my ECU to accept it and applied Nels MT07 flash file to my ECU. I have to admit I was a nervous Nelly, but this level of service, generosity, and professionalism is very hard to find these days.
 And believe me, I have been around a long time boys. :)

Our resident ecu vendor is @2wheeldynoworks . They are the greatest tuner in the country, I'm serious and will put them up against any tuner in the country. I have stories about them that I can't legally tell in public that would blow your mind.  

I will agree whole heatedly with the above. Not only does 2WDW know how to tune/flash, Nels the proprietor is one of the most helpful and sincere people on the planet. It is a rare quality these days to get his level of expertise with such a personal touch as well. Also a note on tuning Our specific bikes.
Before you can flash tune an ECU, you need to unlock it. It takes up to a month or more to "decode" an ECU, thousands of lines of code that need to be identified with a particular function of the ECU. There are a few different firms that "unlock" ECU's and subsequently offer flash services. Examples are Flash Tune ECU, and Woolich.   They offer similar services, and tuners like 2WDWs use these software solutions to implement their flashes derived from dyno tuning bikes with specific set ups, buying subscriptions to the relevant proprietary flash software. As it turns out only a vastly experienced tuner will know which "service" is better for each brand and model of bike. As it turns out, apparently FTECU has the edge on Yamaha ECU flashing/decoding, while Woolich, for example, is better for Kawasaki. This knowledge is what you pay for when you get your ECU flashed.

My experience with Nels was this, I sent my ECU for flashing but for some reason, the MT-07 ECU file had been deleted from FTECU's database. Nels explained the situation and gave me the options, the one I took was to allow FTECU to use my ECU as a donor to extract the code. (supposed to take 10 days) As it turned out they (FTECU) found some unexplained differences in my ECU from previous MT07 ECUs. It took one month to turn around my ECU, but I paid for nothing else but my flash from 2WDWs, no shipping around the US, or back to me in the Philippines, and for my trouble FTECU gifted me an Active tune module (thanks to Nels input), programmed my ECU to accept it and applied Nels MT07 flash file to my ECU. I have to admit I was a nervous Nelly, but this level of service, generosity, and professionalism is very hard to find these days.
 And believe me, I have been around a long time boys. :)

And yes, Hordpower too !!

My FZ is my daily and only mode of transportation. I can't wait a month for it to just sit around and even a week is a bit of a stretch

My FZ is my daily and only mode of transportation. I can't wait a month for it to just sit around and even a week is a bit of a stretch
Normally it would take one week, mine was a special case because the reasons I explained in my post. Most ECU files are on file for immediate download by 2WDW. So apparently you don't have a car? or another bike? Inconvenience of one week is not much to deal with, but we all have our priorities. 

• Premium Member
The 1 week avg is with the basic flat rate USPS shipping...you can ship it faster ways and pay 2wdw the diffrence to ship it back a quicker way...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived