The MT-07 Forum

Suspension for EXTRA LIGHTweight riders

crescentwrench

crescentwrench

Hoping to hear from some other lightweight riders (under 120lbs) and how they have modded suspension.

I have yet to measure sag but it has always felt like the front is a hair too stiff. I figured it would soften up just enough after a year or two from regular use but it has not...

I cannot shell out for totally new components at this time. I imagine adjuster caps are only for increasing the front preload though not decreasing?

• Premium Member

This applies to the shock only:

With the preload adjuster in the mid position the sag will be correct for a 150lb rider so it sounds like you would want to run the preload adjuster on the lowest ramp. Also inside the shock which is not adjustable unless you tear the shock down I feel that the bleed hole is way to small and needs to be enlarged.

crescentwrench
With the preload adjuster in the mid position the sag will be correct for a 150lb rider so it sounds like you would want to run the preload adjuster on the lowest ramp. Also inside the shock which is not adjustable unless you tear the shock down I feel that the bleed hole is way to small and needs to be enlarged.

You're talking about if I throw those caps on there? Because as I understand nothing suspension related is adjustable on the stock bike, right?

• Premium Member

You're talking about if I throw those caps on there? Because as I understand nothing suspension related is adjustable on the stock bike, right?
No I was referring to the rear suspension not the forks. But yes pretty much nothing is adjustable unless you dig inside the forks or shock. 

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

There is a 2 piece wrench that comes with the bike to adjust the stock rear shock. The owners manual shows you how to adjust the rear shock with this wrench. I believe the rear shock has 9 adjustment positions and norwest thinks you should put it on position 1 (1st notch) based on your weight. The first notch is least firm and the 9th notch is the most firm.

crescentwrench

OK, got it, thanks you guys.
I don't feel uneasy with the rear so much as the front, but I might adjust it anyways to see - maybe it will be even better.

I imagine adjuster caps are only for increasing the front preload though not decreasing?
They do both, increase or decrease preload. Neither changes stiffness, for that you need different spring rate.   You can change preload without caps, just cut few spacers in different length. 

• Premium Member

Check your sag front and rear to confirm whether you need softer springs. Shoot for 1.5" with you sitting on bike.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

crescentwrench
Check your sag front and rear to confirm whether you need softer springs. Shoot for 1.5" with you sitting on bike.
1.5" difference between totally unloaded (off the ground) sag versus me sitting on it?  Or difference between on the ground no rider, versus me sitting on it?

Also can I ask everyone... is it suspension or tires when the rear end of the bike in the middle of a turn starts feeling like really quick little bumps? Like it feels like the rear is going over some tiny bumps on the ground really fast sometimes while I'm leaning in the middle of a turn? I noticed it mid-turn, pretty even weight distribution (at least it feels like it), not pulling on the gas yet and no longer slowing... really mid-turn.
Thoughts?

Edit to add... could also be described as little tiny bounces, or like a skipping rock...

Check air pressure first,
And look at tyre profile for a nice continuous curve

Front spring are rated at .86~ as measured by TWF,
So you could go lighter, ie .7-.75
And add a drop in valves.

Rear shock is rebuildable.

Contact norwest^ he has both ends sussed
It will be a fix for little money.

• Premium Member
1.5" difference between totally unloaded (off the ground) sag versus me sitting on it?  Or difference between on the ground no rider, versus me sitting on it?

Also can I ask everyone... is it suspension or tires when the rear end of the bike in the middle of a turn starts feeling like really quick little bumps? Like it feels like the rear is going over some tiny bumps on the ground really fast sometimes while I'm leaning in the middle of a turn? I noticed it mid-turn, pretty even weight distribution (at least it feels like it), not pulling on the gas yet and no longer slowing... really mid-turn.
Thoughts?

Edit to add... could also be described as little tiny bounces, or like a skipping rock...
Sag is the difference between the suspension at full extension to the rider sitting on the bike in their normal riding position.  So, pull up on the front and back of the bike and take a measurement from a location inline with the axle center lines.  And then sit on the bike in your normal riding position and have someone take the measurement again.  The difference is your sag.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

crescentwrench
Check air pressure first, And look at tyre profile for a nice continuous curve

Front spring are rated at .86~ as measured by TWF,
So you could go lighter, ie .7-.75
And add a drop in valves.

Rear shock is rebuildable.

Contact norwest^ he has both ends sussed
It will be a fix for little money.
Cool thanks. Pressure is fine. Curvature normal, no flat spots. Running stock tires.  

Thoughts?

Sag is the difference between the suspension at full extension to the rider sitting on the bike in their normal riding position.  So, pull up on the front and back of the bike and take a measurement from a location inline with the axle center lines.  And then sit on the bike in your normal riding position and have someone take the measurement again.  The difference is your sag.
Got it, thanks. Gonna be with a riding buddy tonight I'll see if he can help me measure. 

Archived