The MT-07 Forum

Integrated tail light TST vs Motodynamic

rekki

Hey guys I got a matte silver with blue wheels 2016 fz07. I wanted to get an opinion of what tail light you guys think will look better on this color scheme, also clear or smoked? I'm leaning towards Motodynamic but not sure if clear or smoke.

Thanks!

I personally liked the look of the TST one more so that was the one I went with. Both have very similar programming functionality so I think it's really down to looks. I have the smoked TST, and it looks very flush with the bike. Since it is black it blends well with the tail when the bike is off, but is very bright when on so no worries about not being seen.

I've had a smoked MotoDynamic taillight for about a year. I recently bought a smoked TST and sold the MD to a friend with a R3 for 40 bucks.

The reason I bought the TST is because I liked the design of it and it's a lot more visible when you brake. The MD taillight is hard to tell when you're braking or not. All the LEDs are lit up when you're not braking, and they just get brighter when you get on the brakes. I would recommend getting the smoked TST, it looks real nice

Thanks for the reply guys, I looked at the TST some more in vids, and it does look nicer now. Especially with its lit up leds on the outer rim when its just on. I think I will go w/ the TST now!

Do I need the relay if I go w/ the TST tail?

Thanks for the reply guys, I looked at the TST some more in vids, and it does look nicer now. Especially with its lit up leds on the outer rim when its just on. I think I will go w/ the TST now! 
Do I need the relay if I go w/ the TST tail?

You don't NEED a relay since the TST comes with resisters you connect to the taillight. I was already using a TST relay with my Motodynamic so I didn't have to use the resistors. I suggest you buy the relay though, it is simpler to install and pretty cheap. Plus, if you have led turn signals in the front, you need to wire resistors into those too to prevent hyper flashing.

Here's more info on relays vs resistors

https://tstindustries.com/blog/tech-tip-1-relays-vs-resistors/

I just had the same debate about 2 weeks ago. I liked the mold and custom light settings of the TST a lot better than the MD. If I'm not mistaken, I think the TST has a lot more LED's than MD. I pulled the trigger and got the smoked TST and it looks pretty BA on my Raven. The tail light and the TST relay was $106 OTD with super quick shipping. TST offers a discount if you bundle the relay and the tail light , but make sure you select the bundle option. You won't get the bundle discount if you add each item to your shopping cart separately (at least I didn't). By bundling, the relay only costs $6.

If it were me, I would definitely opt for the relay. The relay is also adjustable so you can customize your flash rate. TST has a very good YouTube install video that should help out. The resistors that come with the tail light feel cheap and I'm not about to tap into my wiring when I can swap a relay. I'm very anal about retaining all my factory wiring in my bikes, vehicles, etc. IMO, it is difficult to duplicate the quality and durability of factory wiring.

I did, however, opt for the Motodynamics fender eliminator over the TST.

I went with the Custom LED one and haven't regretted it at all. It is insanely bright (much brighter than the OEM), programmable, and is completely plug and play so the installation is very easy. I also personally like the patterns it uses better than the TST and MD ones as the change in color from the brake lights to the turn signals contrast very much and don't overlap each other like the others do, in my opinion the overlapping makes it harder to see the turn signals. It does cost a little more than the TST and MD but it does come with a 2 year warranty and a satisfaction guarantee.

I just had the same debate about 2 weeks ago. I liked the mold and custom light settings of the TST a lot better than the MD. If I'm not mistaken, I think the TST has a lot more LED's than MD. I pulled the trigger and got the smoked TST and it looks pretty BA on my Raven. The tail light and the TST relay was $106 OTD with super quick shipping. TST offers a discount if you bundle the relay and the tail light , but make sure you select the bundle option. You won't get the bundle discount if you add each item to your shopping cart separately (at least I didn't). By bundling, the relay only costs $6.  
If it were me, I would definitely opt for the relay. The relay is also adjustable so you can customize your flash rate. TST has a very good YouTube install video that should help out. The resistors that come with the tail light feel cheap and I'm not about to tap into my wiring when I can swap a relay. I'm very anal about retaining all my factory wiring in my bikes, vehicles, etc. IMO, it is difficult to duplicate the quality and durability of factory wiring.

I'm also thinking of doing TST tail light and Motodynamics fender elim. For the Motodynamics fender elim, do I need to buy any wire adapters for the license plate light or is it just plug and play? 
Thanks

tst is the brightest led on the market and with all the modes and how it fits our bike so nicely. why go anywhere else? specially when you can do the black out model.

From a safety standpoint, the TST would theoretically be more safe/visible than the MD taillights because the TST fills in the center with lights (changes light pattern) when you brake as opposed to the MD which always has the same amount of leds lit up no matter what. The mind has an amazing ability to tune things out and you want everything possible to combat that.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I'm also thinking of doing TST tail light and Motodynamics fender elim. For the Motodynamics fender elim, do I need to buy any wire adapters for the license plate light or is it just plug and play? 
Thanks
Nope, you don't need to buy anything extra - it's plug and play and is very bright. That was the main reason why I chose the MD FE over the TST. That and the fact TST's FE kit didn't even include a plate light. TST's only available plate light has, in my opinion, poor mounting design and wire connections. Their plate light utilizes a double sided tape that adheres to the back of the license plate and is a one time use. TST's reason for this is so it could be universal for other fender eliminator brands. I get their approach, but it just seems really silly to me. Just my .02

• Premium Member

6 of one half dozen the other, but if you ask me smoked MD, only because thats what i bought :-)

'16 FZ07

I don't think you could go wrong with either but I did the TST with clear lens. On both of them, the smoke just ends up being a little too dim for me during the daytime. Visibility trumps looks when it comes to lights. I did TST front and rear with their fender kit. Very happy with it.

Dan

I don't think you could go wrong with either but I did the TST with clear lens. On both of them, the smoke just ends up being a little too dim for me during the daytime. Visibility trumps looks when it comes to lights. I did TST front and rear with their fender kit. Very happy with it. 
Dan
Thanks all, I decided to go w/ TST and motodynamic fender elim. 
Dan - can you show me pics of your bike w/ the tail in clear lens. I would like to see how the color scheme looks w/ it.

Thanks

Dan
Dan - can you show me pics of your bike w/ the tail in clear lens. I would like to see how the color scheme looks w/ it.

Thanks

Sure thing, I will snap some pics later today when I get home.  I also have the TST lights on the front. 

Dan

Thanks

Sure thing, I will snap some pics later today when I get home.  I also have the TST lights on the front. 

Dan

Thanks! Preferably ones with light off and some on.

Can anyone with the TST tail light answer this for me? Looking at the YT vids it looks like when on signal it bleeds over to the other side,making it look like both indicators are lit/flashing. Is this true or not? I really like the look of the TST but I don't want someone to be confused on which way I am indicating.

Vid in question

Can anyone with the TST tail light answer this for me? Looking at the YT vids it looks like when on signal it bleeds over to the other side,making it look like both indicators are lit/flashing. Is this true or not? I really like the look of the TST but I don't want someone to be confused on which way I am indicating. 
Vid in question

I have the TST Tail light and it flashes fine in person.  you can't go by the videos.  makes it look bad.  I also installed the relay because the tail light was hyperflashing when i installed it before i even put the TST front indicators on.  I didn't get any resistors with my order but i did order the relay at the same time maybe that's why.

Good to hear as I like the TST a little more then the MD one. I already have LED indcators running on a LED flasher relay so I should be good! Thanks again!

Vid in question

I have the TST Tail light and it flashes fine in person.  you can't go by the videos.  makes it look bad.  I also installed the relay because the tail light was hyperflashing when i installed it before i even put the TST front indicators on.  I didn't get any resistors with my order but i did order the relay at the same time maybe that's why.

I also have no issue with the flash bleeding over to other sides of the light. If the left turn is on, it looks like left turn is on. Like the post above , i think the camera is just playing tricks on the eye.

Thanks! Preferably ones with light off and some on.
This is the clear that I have  IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

I was trying to upload a video of it working but my computer savvy is inadequate.  I could email it to you if you would like.  I will say that the smoke looks good but is not no where as bright as the clear during the day.  At night it probably doesn't matter.  I have compared them side by side and the clear is super bright during the day.  I would rather be seen than look cool.  And when they are on, you cant see the smoke anyway.   
Dan

Archived