The MT-07 Forum

Yoshimura Full Exhaust in California

JuggernautOfWar

JuggernautOfWar

The stock exhaust which reminded me of an angry sewing machine was my only complaint about the FZ-07. I installed a full Yoshimura exhaust system shortly after purchasing my bike, and I couldn't be happier with the sound and sensation it provides while riding. However I will soon be moving from Oregon to Irvine California, where they have stricter noise and pollution laws in place (there are none where I live now). I am worried about my FZ-07 being street legal in California. If I have to get rid of my exhaust system and have another factory exhaust installed in its place I'll be very disappointed.

Does anybody have experience with California motorcycle emission laws? Will I have to get my bike inspected since it is made after 2013? Will I be forced to install the factory heavy, dull exhaust with catalytic converter? I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thank you for your time.

cK04uff.jpg

2015 Red FZ-07
Yoshimura Works R77 Carbon Fiber Full Exhaust
Puig Dark Smoke Touring Windshield

Interesting question best to contact Ca DMV for clarification, if out of state bikes require DMV inspection. Stock bikes without mods sold in OR are probably not legal in CA because of emission requirements. I installed full Yoshi and Hord airbox but already had CA tags and have no worries. The worst case, sell OR bike and buy CA bike already with full Yoshi.

Southern California resident here, you have nothing to worry about at all. Many people run illegal exhaust systems and have no issues. The police have better things to worry about, most just don't care unless it's stupid loud. I hear straight piped bikes and cars daily. When registering at the DMV don't mention the exhaust system, they will of course give you a textbook response.

• Like 1

Southern California resident here, you have nothing to worry about at all. Many people run illegal exhaust systems and have no issues. The police have better things to worry about, most just don't care unless it's stupid loud. I hear straight piped bikes and cars daily. When registering at the DMV don't mention the exhaust system, they will of course give you a textbook response.

This! The reality is I've never had problems nor have anyone I've known for the pipes. Like Mugen said unless it's stupid loud.
Is it technically illegal? Of course, in CA everything mod related is technically illegal LOL. But don't worry you won't get "popped" for having an exhaust on a bike.

I live in Los Angeles and ride my FZ everywhere. I have the full Yoshimura R77 exhaust on my ride with the baffle out since day 1. I've never had a problem with cops stopping me for my exhaust! Not once! Not even a glance, even when lanesplitting past them. You'll be fine, and you'll def enjoy the sound of our beautiful exhaust as you howl around!

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

California here with yosh baffle in, you will have no problem with the exhaust, they'll have to ticket about a million Harleys before they start on us. If you're buying an out of state bike and you live in Calif. then the bike has to meet Calif. emissions, UNLESS, it has over 7500 miles on odo in which case you are buying and importing a used bike and then it doesn't apply. You are doing neither so no problem.

Funny, you're coming here and I'd like to move there...

I want to get the Yosh system when I get my FZ-07, but I haven't heard one in person yet.

How loud is it baffle in and baffle out? On a scale from 1-10, 1 being stock quiet and 10 being straight pipe loud, how would you guys rate it?

@mugen I have never had the baffle in so I can only comment on baffle out sound. I'd say the exhaust note is at an 8. Reason I say 8 is because when it's idling and just put-putting around town it's tame and mild of a note. The instant you get on the throttle though, it'll give you a very loud growly rise! Most ppl confuse my ride with a Ducati or v-twin Aprilia. Though we know that's far from truth it does make me smile. I find the yoshi with baffle out perfect for my living conditions in LA. Loud enough to be heard near cars and screaming down the canyons, but also zero drone and mild when just cruising around town. Plus the power with the ecu flash makes it a stellar combo for the bike. It should have came this way from factory!

• Like 1

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

booboobusfz07

Yup like everybodys saying, technically yes its illegal, since ours is a one piece exhaust and there are no CARB approved exhausts. There are no emmisions tests or general inspections for motorcycles here. Ive never heard of someone getting an exhaust ticket unless the cop really had a grudge against you. 99% chance of you havimg zero issues. Tho i like everybody else here havent been hasseld at all for our pipes so your odds are pretty good.

I want to get the Yosh system when I get my FZ-07, but I haven't heard one in person yet. 
How loud is it baffle in and baffle out? On a scale from 1-10, 1 being stock quiet and 10 being straight pipe loud, how would you guys rate it?
Yoshimura baffling is very different from say Akrapovic titanium baffle in/out or M4 long baffle. 
The Yoshimura very slightly gets baffled, but it changes the tone.  With the baffle out, it sounds deeper but not that much louder.

My rating opinion, based on your scale you have outlined, the Yosh would fall as a 6 baffled, 6.5 no baffle.

• Like 1

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Hmm interesting. Hopefully I'll get to hear one in person at a meetup or something by the time I save up for it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Dont change a thing, come on down to the sunshine and rip it!!!

• Like 1

'16 FZ07

• Premium Member

There are certain parts in Orange County that set up "noise traps" so just be aware. Particularly on PCH in Huntington Beach, near communities tired of hearing all the motorcycles zoom by. And other than the Snake, when cops are ticketing every modded bike, you should relatively be fine.

But if you really are concerned, someone posted a few weeks ago a Yoshi pipe made specifically for the FZ07 that follows CA emissions.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

There are certain parts in Orange County that set up "noise traps" so just be aware. Particularly on PCH in Huntington Beach, near communities tired of hearing all the motorcycles zoom by. And other than the Snake, when cops are ticketing every modded bike, you should relatively be fine.  
But if you really are concerned, someone posted a few weeks ago a Yoshi pipe made specifically for the FZ07 that follows CA emissions.
Wait where are these "noise traps" in HB? I live there and haven't ever seen cops sitting on PCH anywhere to be honest. I often see people speeding or hanging out of windows and sunroofs but no cops to be seen. And most of the houses on PCH are rented condos that are often vacant.

And can you link the CA legal Yosh exhaust? I'm interested

• Premium Member
Wait where are these "noise traps" in HB? I live there and haven't ever seen cops sitting on PCH anywhere to be honest. I often see people speeding or hanging out of windows and sunroofs but no cops to be seen. And most of the houses on PCH are rented condos that are often vacant.  
It was last year and had a lit up sign that specifically stated no loud motorcycles on a stretch of road or you'll be ticketed. I couldn't tell you which part. So it's not like you weren't warned, but what can are you to do if you're already on a group ride?  
It's not a pipe you'll find on the Yoshi site, which is what I thought was interesting. Whoever posted it linked it in that thread. I can't find it, but I think it was on a Yamaha Parts type of site. The pipe had a Yoshi-FZ-07 logo on it. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

It was last year and had a lit up sign that specifically stated no loud motorcycles on a stretch of road or you'll be ticketed. I couldn't tell you which part. So it's not like you weren't warned, but what can are you to do if you're already on a group ride?  
It's not a pipe you'll find on the Yoshi site, which is what I thought was interesting. Whoever posted it linked it in that thread. I can't find it, but I think it was on a Yamaha Parts type of site. The pipe had a Yoshi-FZ-07 logo on it. 

Oh I know what you're talking about. I have it bookmarked on my computer at home. I vaguely remember it being more expensive than the original Yosh system?

But now that I've seen the thread about the new Graves system I'm torn between the two.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I was highly concerned about the same thing having bought my bike in texas and trailering it to cali.. So far, have not had any problems so far with the r77 system.. Love the sound. I recommend baffle in just so you have a little better peace of mind, slight performance increase as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you're bringing it form out of state and it has less than 7500 miles, do you have to get a smog check or is it just part of the law and generally unenforced?

No smog checks on bikes in Calif., The 7500 miles is required to buy an out of state vehicle and bring into Calif. when it doesn't come with Calif. required smog equipment. Stops people going out of state to buy new non Calif. smog equipped vehicles and bringing them back into state. 7500 miles is a 'used' vehicle.

• 2 years later...

What about repair shops? I hear some shops won't even do an oil change if you have an aftermarket exhaust

sansnombre

Your question seems to be: During the transfer of registration from OR to CA, will CA DMV require a visual inspection of the motorcycle and spot the "illegal" exhaust. Also, can you bring in a cycle that is not CA emissions designed and have it licensed and running in CA without having to retrofit the emissions gear?

I lived in CA most of my life, and nearly always had an aftermarket exhaust on my bikes (one was an extremely loud Kerker KR racing pipe on my GPz550), and was never pulled over for sound. I think you're good here.

Just speculation, but I think CA DMV will NOT require you to have a visual inspection of the bike, and you will not be dinged for the pipe. Also, I'm nearly certain that the emissions requirement is only for products originally sold in CA and not transplants - they get a pass, I'm nearly certain. Think of the costs of having all vehicles moving into CA having to pay the retrofit costs! I'm not sure what happens when cars have to have a smog test though, but motorcycles are exempt from that, so nothing to worry about here either.

So I think you're in the clear on all counts, but it should be relatively easy to see if DMV will require a visual inspection, and that should answer your questions. But I can't seen why they would need to visualize it in this case.

I did just the opposite and recently moved from CA to OR. Wet as Fu(% up here in the PDX area . . . .