The MT-07 Forum

Regular or non-ethanol?

liami

I just went 65 miles on non ethanol 91 premium, when i let the bike sit idle in neutral the engine temp raises to 221 F. usually sits on 180 F constant...i have been running 93 grade since i got the bike. Will never put non ethanol in my bike again!

USMCFieldMP

Non-ethanol vs ethanol, you aren't going to notice a performance difference. I'm not 100% familiar with the bikes ECU and whether or not it uses a true wideband that can sense and compensate for fuel differences (doubt it), but the ONLY thing you might notice is a little bit better gas mileage with the non-ethanol (ethanol requires a lot more fuel per air than gasoline, but E10 & E15 won't make HUGE differences; again, that's assuming the ECU has the ability to compensate for the difference on the fly). If tuned for non-ethanol, that's a different story. The bike is rated for ethanol, so there should be no problems running it.

As far as 87 vs 93, the bike is tuned for 87, so that's all you need. If you get your bike TUNED, however, you should then pay careful attention to whether or not the tune requires 93 or not (assuming a downloaded tune). If you're going to get the bike tuned on a dyno and want the most power you can get, fill it with 93 and inform the tuner of such. You will then be restricted to running no less than 92/93, as the timing map adjustment will make running 87 a bad thing.

I just went 65 miles on non ethanol 91 premium, when i let the bike sit idle in neutral the engine temp raises to 221 F. usually sits on 180 F constant...i have been running 93 grade since i got the bike. Will never put non ethanol in my bike again!

If you let the bike sit running with ANY fuel in it... the coolant temps are going to rise to 221°F. You aren't getting air through the radiator to cool it down. Has NOTHING to do with what fuel you're running... and it's not a bad thing. Fans kick on and it cools down.

Archived