The MT-07 Forum

Stripped Oil Pan (re: I'm an idiot.)

KamelReds

Do we know who did the last oil change?
That's who screwed it up.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member
15 lbs? The manual says 31 I torqued mine to 31 foot pounds. No problems at all for me. Maybe you kept going after the torque wrench clicked?
I know what the manual says.  However most cars don't even use 30lbs, so I went on the safe side of 15lbs given how soft the aluminum is.

Also, not my first time using a torque wrench.

Do we know who did the last oil change? That's who screwed it up.
Me! Thing is, it was torqued correctly when I did it. 
My best guess, in between my last oil change and this one I was hit on my bike and I'm thinking that the accident somehow did something to the pan.  Oh well. 

New pan will be on this weekend.  $90 for a pan, plug, crush washer, and pan gasket is seriously cheap!

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

15 lbs? The manual says 31 I torqued mine to 31 foot pounds. No problems at all for me. Maybe you kept going after the torque wrench clicked?
I think someone was thinking about the oil filter, which is 12 lbs. torque. I myself don't mess around with torque on certain things. With an oil filter I just guestimate as I tighten it by hand and check it afterwards for leaks. They've never leaked afterwards. 

Beemer

I'm with Beemer, there's some torque values listed in the service manual that I'm not comfortable with, drain plugs and oil filters are a 'feel' thing for me, but just in case I safety wire both.

Agreed - especially when there's an aluminum crush washer involved. Hands and experience are much more reliable to feel when it's tight enough.

• Premium Member

Even a little oil or wet fluid will change TQ values, your relying on the friction to give you your TQ readout...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Most oil filters nwdays have a rotation after seating as a guide to final torque. They all use different "rubber" ring seals and have different flexability in the threaded area so their recommendation will probably be more use than a quantative numerical torque setting.
I use two different brands of oil filter on my car and one gives a 2/3 turn the other 3/4 after touchdown ( with oil on the seal).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived