The MT-07 Forum

Removal of Warning Sticker on fuel tank

Allan

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I recently took mine off of my new bike, and it was still a pain. The hot water sponge trick did little to help, so I got a hairdryer and a credit card out. Took a little bit, but once they heated up, they came off easy enough. It's tricky, though, because you want the glue under the sticker to heat up but you don't want the paint to get too hot. It was slow going at times, but eventually, all 5 came off (2 on the tank, one on each side of the front fairing [on my GSXR], and one on the chain guard). Some 3M goo remover and a cloth later, she's good.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Global Moderator

Youre still prattling in this thread puss? i figured youd have gottent it all out by now :P
Yeah man, me too. :-[ When I see it come up on "recent posts" I can't help but look to see just what's possibly keeping this thread rolling, (partially me) and before I know it, there I go prattling on again. I shall resist @sorkyah !  
PS, Glad to hear you're alright after bailing through oil recently. Hope the bike didnt sustain too much damage.

Yeah... not too much damage
insurance adjuster says all warning labels need to go on as well
..... screw that noise
i aint taking this damned sticker off again
though the 5 bucks the dealer charges for it will be a welcome addition to my pocket :P

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

pineappleunderthesea

Hmmm, why would they care about that?  Plenty of bikes don't come with them (basically every cruiser out there).

• Global Moderator

Hmmm, why would they care about that?  Plenty of bikes don't come with them (basically every cruiser out there).
not gonna argue with him like i said.. 5 bucks in my pocket :)

Im not sure which is funnier. The legit question or the assholes asking why this is even a question. Yeah, its a sticker, just take it off. Funny thing is, its vinyl coated, stuck to plastic and not meant to take off. Heat it up and it peels right off? No. Hot sponge? No - same thing as a hair dryer. Goo Gone? No. If your sticker pulled right off, I question if you even actually pulled it off. I cant count the number of toys or stickers Ive removed or should I say, tried to remove. 1 sticker on a tank is nothing compared to 8 stickers on a dash of a RZR. LOL if you wanna, question this thread if you wanna. Truth is, the bullshit safety stickers are meant to stay and they do not want you removing it. If you're 'patient' lol. No. If you want that 1 bullshit sticker gone, there is no 1 method thats going to make it magically easy to remove and not know it was there. Prepare to spend 1 hour to remove it and clean up the mess. Dont worry, that scuff is just left over security glue. Worst case scenario, if you do scratch the plastic, you can buff it out. Even more worst case scenario, (and maybe easier / faster), buy a new side panel sans sticker.

Seriously though, the damn warning stickers they do not want you to remove. Its their ass if you do something stupid so they make sure they CYA.

Hot sponge = hair dryer = ... Just be prepared to spend way more time than you thought taking off that sticker and cleaning it up afterwards.

• Global Moderator
Im not sure which is funnier. The legit question or the assholes asking why this is even a question. Yeah, its a sticker, just take it off. Funny thing is, its vinyl coated, stuck to plastic and not meant to take off. Heat it up and it peels right off? No. Hot sponge? No - same thing as a hair dryer. Goo Gone? No. If your sticker pulled right off, I question if you even actually pulled it off. I cant count the number of toys or stickers Ive removed or should I say, tried to remove. 1 sticker on a tank is nothing compared to 8 stickers on a dash of a RZR. LOL if you wanna, question this thread if you wanna. Truth is, the bullshet safety stickers are meant to stay and they do not want you removing it. If you're 'patient' lol. No. If you want that 1 bullshet sticker gone, there is no 1 method thats going to make it magically easy to remove and not know it was there. Prepare to spend 1 hour to remove it and clean up the mess. Dont worry, that scuff is just left over security glue. Worst case scenario, if you do scratch the plastic, you can buff it out. Even more worst case scenario, (and maybe easier / faster), buy a new side panel sans sticker.  
Seriously though, the damn warning stickers they do not want you to remove. Its their ass if you do something stupid so they make sure they CYA.

Hot sponge = hair dryer = ... Just be prepared to spend way more time than you thought taking off that sticker and cleaning it up afterwards.

lies, the hot sponge bath of Pele is the only way to remove said sticker if that doesnt work, perhaps a few words from Hedylogos or the stare from Medusa could wrench it free of its grasp from the Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene wall to which it has been bonded.

• Global Moderator
I like what you did there Mr. Scientist.
Engineer in training. not so much scientist.... had to look up the non abbr. form of ABS as i can never remember it
i am a huge greek history buff though :P

I used a heat gun for a few seconds on low setting. Heat is the key, comes right off. As soon as it cools, bam it gets really hard to scrape off. Just used my thumbnail carefully.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

That was not as easy as some folks made it seem. I used a hairdryer and goo gone and it took longer than it should have. It's off now though.

• Global Moderator
I used a heat gun for a few seconds on low setting. Heat is the key, comes right off. As soon as it cools, bam it gets really hard to scrape off. Just used my thumbnail carefully.
Heat is not the key...
had mine sitting outside on a 120°F day last summer for several hours before attempting to remove mine
that heat soak didnt do shit other than burn my hands when i went to move the bike

• 1 month later...

Just to add my experience I had yesterday/today. 

Let the bike sit outside in sun for 3 hours like suggested earlier in this thread. Did not work, left a lot of residue. Went to the store and got some goo gone this morning, and I tried to get the remaining residue off. After 30 minutes and many applications, I got nowhere. Still a ton of residue, and if anything just smeared it around a little. Went to the store about 1 hour ago and I got "Turtle Wax Label & Sticker Remover". Sprayed it on, and wiped  it off with a clean cloth 1 minute later, and no residue at all. No sticker mark left either. EXTREMELY HAPPY!

I hope this helps someone else out. It was really stressing me out this morning. 

• Global Moderator

Turtle wax... sticker and label remover?
What sorcery is this...
Something that can defeat the dreaded warning stickers cant possibly be a good thing

• Premium Member
Just to add my experience I had yesterday/today.  
Let the bike sit outside in sun for 3 hours like suggested earlier in this thread. Did not work, left a lot of residue. Went to the store and got some goo gone this morning, and I tried to get the remaining residue off. After 30 minutes and many applications, I got nowhere. Still a ton of residue, and if anything just smeared it around a little. Went to the store about 1 hour ago and I got "Turtle Wax Label & Sticker Remover". Sprayed it on, and wiped  it off with a clean cloth 1 minute later, and no residue at all. No sticker mark left either. EXTREMELY HAPPY!

I hope this helps someone else out. It was really stressing me out this morning. 

Where were you 10 pages ago? ;) Nice find.  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

pineappleunderthesea
Turtle wax... sticker and label remover? What sorcery is this...
Something that can defeat the dreaded warning stickers cant possibly be a good thing
I had looked at that before removing mine, it's basically a mixture of acetone and other petroleum oils.  So I basically "made my own" with some WD40 and acetone I had in my garage by applying the WD40 first (it did nothing), and then applying the acetone.  The acetone did the trick, it removed all that residue immediately.

I used egg whites and salt like someone suggested somewhere on this thread........it didn't work.

Works for pre-run meal though...

That made me hungry. Gonna boil some eggs.

I used egg whites and salt like someone suggested somewhere on this thread........it didn't work.
Eggyolkio doesn't know what he's talking about. He's an egg-head!

Beemer

Where were you 10 pages ago? ;) Nice find.
Haha I just got my bike last Saturday! I wasn't on this forum that long ago. And I happened on this stuff purely by accident, I went there to get WD-40 as suggested in the thread earlier and was walking through the automotive section at walmart. Saw the stuff for 4.99 and figured it couldnt hurt to try it for the price!

• Global Moderator
Really ..... 10 pages for that darn sticker removal?????? unbelievable
Come now... its all @mrpuss's fault

I have now been riding sticker free for 5000 miles and I can now say I will never go back. I would like to thank you all for your support, I couldn't have done it without you.

Really ..... 10 pages for that darn sticker removal?????? unbelievable

Lol... This will probably be one of those no nonsense thread that keeps on going.

Greatness

Archived