The MT-07 Forum

Removal of Warning Sticker on fuel tank

Allan

• Premium Member
I installed an Evotech rad guard earlier on the bike, took 5min or less.then chose the task of removing the warning sticker from my tank.... Took an hour with much diligence and patience lol.
aint that some sh*t? lol takes longer to find the allen then put the rad cover on. funny a hidious sticker takes some time.... 

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

To remove the tank sticker, you only need to get a plastic scraper. It will not harm the paint. The sticker will remove pieces at a time and then use some goo gone or WD40 to remove the residual stickiness.

• Premium Member

halfway into round 3:
residue.jpg

the battle has been won!
used some goof off right after this picture to eliminate the residue of shame.

• Premium Member
halfway into round 3: 

the battle has been won!
used some goof off right after this picture to eliminate the residue of shame.

Well played! There's a reason this thread is almost 8 pages.... :D 
For me there was no way in hell there would be a round two; I just couldn't stop scraping off tiny minuscule bit after tiny minuscule bit until both stickers were completely gone (damn french as a bonus sticker). It was just me and the stickers, trapped in the fourth dimension, nothing could interfere with my picking. The bike ached and sought release, our destinies were irrevocably intertwined, and I alone would provide liberation!

It was as satisfying as it was bloody tedious as it was painful; both thumbnails were so very raw. I too would not be defeated by the most heinous sticker ever devised by man.

....followed by multiple wipes of Goo-Gone.  S.O.B.

I took a moment to step back and admire, nodding, and basked in one of life's great personal achievements. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
I too would not be defeated by the most heinous sticker ever devised by man.
I gotta admit... there was a point my thoughts became more existential and/or delusional because of that evil sticker.
Thought pattern:
"Will the sticker finally come off?"
"Is the whole thread full of BS just to get me to point a hair dryer at a gas tank?"
"Is this how I die?"

babisstinson

For future reference: A really good way to remove any residual glue, etc from your paint is Claying it. It is the most widely-used method from detailers, and it really does wonders:

This how i removed mine.

Well I finally received my FZ 07 and thought I would do a video of me removing my stickers off my bike, sort of a how to video. I didn't think it was going to be that hard but it still was more of a pain in the ass then I expected. So hopefully this helps.  

Oh and thanks to the FZ-07 forum along with its members for giving me some ideas. 

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJwnlgBIz74]

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Nice video. I personally would not recommend using a paper towel to wipe your bike down, however. It's like fine sandpaper. Use a microfiber cloth or an old t-shirt.

Thanks. I should of used a mirco fiber cloth for the drying also, but I'm pretty sure there is a clear coat on and the paper towel was light and brief. It survived without scratches. Not that the human eye nor me for that matter can notice/see. I was more concerned about the acetone truth be told. But after the glue I made sure no acetone was left on with a quick wash and dry. 

I honestly still haven't done it. Lol Maybe an excuse could be that I'm waiting for that perfect method someone will post. Haha

pineappleunderthesea
I honestly still haven't done it. Lol Maybe an excuse could be that I'm waiting for that perfect method someone will post. Haha
If you wait long enough, yours will be the only FZ-07 with an original sticker, and that'll be worth gazillions of money.

• 2 weeks later...

Order new tank side cover. Comes without stickers.
Unless you're in Canada, then it comes with two.
Because...well...you know....Canadians.

[HASH]1 Best thread ever!
[HASH]2 Disconnecting rear brake light switch

• Premium Member

The longer it's on, the harder it is to remove. The Ninja 1000 I bought new, even though it sat on the dealer's floor for over a year, came off in one piece the day after I bought it. My buddies SFV650 that he had for over a year before removing still has some residue and discoloration. Same with the used FZ that had been on the road for over a year before I picked it up. Even with heat, that bitch came off in about 30 pieces and there's a hard outline where the edges were.

- Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah. I was thinking that would happen. I've had mine on for almost 2 years now... lol I'm wondering if taking it off would make it look worse

Best way. 
Take sponge, soak in hot water, do not wring out, hold on sticker and apply pressure for five minutes, remove and then peel sticker off.

Nothing else is as easy, trust me.
This worked well for me! Easiest way. That sucker peeled right off like piece of wet paper. 

• Premium Member
Order new tank side cover. Comes without stickers. Unless you're in Canada, then it comes with two.
Because...well...you know....Canadians.

[HASH]1 Best thread ever!
[HASH]2 Disconnecting rear brake light switch
Guilty of #2 .... There's still some residual shame with that one. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
Best way. 
Take sponge, soak in hot water, do not wring out, hold on sticker and apply pressure for five minutes, remove and then peel sticker off.

This worked well for me! Easiest way. That sucker peeled right off like piece of wet paper.
Damn, I missed this one. Simple yet brilliant. 

• Global Moderator

Youre still prattling in this thread puss?
i figured youd have gottent it all out by now :P

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Youre still prattling in this thread puss? i figured youd have gottent it all out by now :P
Yeah man, me too. :-[ When I see it come up on "recent posts" I can't help but look to see just what's possibly keeping this thread rolling, (partially me) and before I know it, there I go prattling on again. I shall resist @sorkyah !  
PS, Glad to hear you're alright after bailing through oil recently. Hope the bike didnt sustain too much damage.

Best way. 

This worked well for me! Easiest way. That sucker peeled right off like piece of wet paper.[a style=margin:15px 0px;padding:10px 20px;border-radius:5px;text-align:center;text-decoration:none;opacity:0.7;background-color:transparent;" href="http://fz07.org/post/77863/quote/758?page=8#]tZow8hc.png[/a]
   It sounds like this method works very well. Perhaps it should be listed at the beginning of the thread.  It could even become, dare I say it ............. a sticky. (rofl)  

pineappleunderthesea
This worked well for me! Easiest way. That sucker peeled right off like piece of wet paper.tZow8hc.png
   It sounds like this method works very well. Perhaps it should be listed at the beginning of the thread.  It could even become, dare I say it ............. a sticky. (rofl)
It "kinda" helped for me in removing the top part of the sticker, but I still had to scrape with a plastic card. And it didn't help at all removing the glue residue that is left behind, had to use a combo of wd40 and then a dab of acetone.  

Archived