The MT-07 Forum

Removal of Warning Sticker on fuel tank

Allan

• Global Moderator

That whole saying of +.25 hp per sticker
is backwards.... unless its an old sharkmouth or flame sticker. Removing sticers adds +.25 hp and +3 charisma

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

...bringing it back because this thread hasnt seen action in over 2 weeks and more so because Allan deserves a little more limelight for creating this puppy. ;)

So forge ahead in all thy righteous glory oh trusty thread.....[attachment id=1346" thumbnail="1]

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
That whole saying of +.25 hp per sticker is backwards.... unless its an old sharkmouth or flame sticker. Removing sticers adds +.25 hp and +3 charisma
Yeah but if you combine it with some mandrake root salve and a +6 staff of Dildon? Watch out. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Global Moderator

That whole saying of +.25 hp per sticker is backwards.... unless its an old sharkmouth or flame sticker. Removing sticers adds +.25 hp and +3 charisma
Yeah but if you combine it with some mandrake root salve and a +6 staff of Dildon? Watch out.
Mandrake?
its all about the gillyweed

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Mandrake? its all about the gillyweed

Yes quite! I stand corrected. 

• Premium Member

You guys mention rumors of the "hair dryer method" working but nobody has posted a picture yet to confirm.
With this in mind, since I haven't purchased an FZ-07 yet, I'm definitely willing to spend the money just to confirm the "rumors" of the hairdryer method.
Maybe I could even post a youtube video of my $7000 hair dryer mythbusters experiment.

It's not a myth. I've used the hair dryer method on more than just my bike. I bought a used car and didn't like the stickers on it. Pull the hair dryer out bam stickers are gone. Use your finger nail to lift in the corner of sticker then SLOWLY pull sticker off as you hold hair dryer about 2 inches away from sticker. If it leaves any residue behind just use a splash of fuel on a rag and it will rub off un-blemished.

• Premium Member

I'm not doubting you, I'm just saying that I don't believe anything I don't see.
I would love to see this happen in real life.
"Unfortunately," after the experiment, I would be left with an FZ-07 on my hands.

• Premium Member

You do not need to remove the sticker. Just put one over it like you do with the license plate stickers. If you shop at revzilla at least 3 times you should have enough stickers to cover your whole bike and still have some to connect loose parts! Good luck!

• Premium Member

Well im not happy i used the heat gun method, maybe i should of waited until summer and left it in the sun. Maybe you guys haven't noticed on darker colors, but mine left the sticker outline shape. And no there isnt any glue residue. My friend cant see it, but since i have eagle eyes i see it and bothers me a little..
20151213_114233_zps8ujow3bv.jpg20151213_114317_zpspzwfva0y.jpg

pineappleunderthesea
Well im not happy i used the heat gun method, maybe i should of waited until summer and left it in the sun. Maybe you guys haven't noticed on darker colors, but mine left the sticker outline shape. And no there isnt any glue residue. My friend cant see it, but since i have eagle eyes i see it and bothers me a little.. 

I wonder if a little acetone would remove that, assuming it's some leftover dyestuff embedded into the paint? 
Otherwise, maybe it'll fade when exposed to UV from the sun?

• Premium Member

I wonder if a little acetone would remove that, assuming it's some leftover dyestuff embedded into the paint? 
I didnt want to try out any chemical especially on flat paints... unless someone has already done so and its safe for it... i just cleaned the bike and pulled it in the sun, you cant see it the sticker outline, but its visiable at night or under florescent lightning. 
20160207_114105_zpsjgcv5w8s.jpg

pineappleunderthesea
I didnt want to try out any chemical especially on flat paints... unless someone has already done so and its safe for it... i just cleaned the bike and pulled it in the sun, you cant see it the sticker outline, but its visiable at night or under florescent lightning. 

I used acetone to remove the last bits of residual glue from my sticker.  The whole WD-40 thing just smeared the glue, but a dab of acetone onto a cloth and a quick wipe removed it immediately (didn't have to scrub) and I rinsed the area with water afterward.  Paint was fine, no fading or loss of gloss (I have the red color).  With today's paints and clearcoats, acetone attack should be almost non-existent if the exposure is brief enough.  You can always try a less visible area with a quick wipe to see if you see changes. 
The reason I mentioned acetone is that it can also remove dyes, and my thought is that maybe you have a discoloration from sticker dye soaking though because of the heat gun?  Or discoloration of a tiny bit of glue that is somehow still embedded in there, and then degraded from the heat coming off the gun?  That's why I  mentioned UV from the sun, UV can bleach organic dyes.  So who the heck knows...if acetone sounds too aggressive, maybe try rubbing alcohol--I've also used a bit of that in the past since it's mild, but acetone works so much better.  

Just a splash of petrol/gasoline on a rag and it will remove it with no damage to paint. Trust me I've done this exact method since I was a kid.

Acetone melts plastic, for a fact. Peel off the plastic cover on the sticker. I used a heat gun to get it off, then car wax to remove the goop. Charcoal lighter fluid(naptha) is safer, and does a great job removing goo. Just don't use the heat gun after applying.

pineappleunderthesea
Acetone melts plastic, for a fact. Peel off the plastic cover on the sticker. I used a heat gun to get it off, then car wax to remove the goop. Charcoal lighter fluid(naptha) is safer, and does a great job removing goo. Just don't use the heat gun after applying.
The panels are painted, so the plastic underneath is protected.  And it depends on what kind of plastic:  polypropylene isn't really affected by acetone (I believe most of the underlying plastic under the paint is polypropylene). But to your point, polycarbonate (the clear stuff used in safety goggles) gets attacked quickly. But when painted, no problem. 

Well this is embarrassing. I failed miserably when I removed that sticker (but I hadn't found this forum to try any of the suggestions) and ended up with a small mark on the tank panel. It bothered me so much to have a mark on a brand new bike that a replacement tank panel was the very first part that I bought for my MT.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
tank.jpg
oh man. I tried removing it and failed miserably. Mostly because it kept breaking off into little pieces instead of coming off as one piece.
I was hoping it would be quick with the goo gone and I didn't have enough time so I just gave up. I'll finish it up when I have some time.
Don't I feel like a genius.

• Premium Member
Use a little heat from a hairdryer or heatgun...

That's why I gave up. I assumed that that would be the better option but at that moment I didn't have time to run a power cable down to the garage.

my experience justifies the 7 pages of idiot-proof instruction.
apparently not idiot-proof enough.  (rofl)

pineappleunderthesea
Use a little heat from a hairdryer or heatgun...
That's why I gave up. I assumed that that would be the better option but at that moment I didn't have time to run a power cable down to the garage. 

my experience justifies the 7 pages of idiot-proof instruction.
apparently not idiot-proof enough.  (rofl)
I applied a steaming hot towel (boiled water and soaked the towel in it) on the sticker for a few minutes and started removing with finger nails.  Basically same result as you, it takes forever and you get this crappy feeling that you've just made a mistake trying to get that thing off.  I found a flexible plastic scraper (the kind you can use for putty) and started using that.  It goes much faster, you still remove a tiny bit at a time, but at least it's faster. The plastic scraper did not scratch the paint.  The scraper gets most of the sticker off, but there is residual glue.  WD40 kinda just spread that glue around, so I used a hint of acetone on a cloth and the glue immediately came off.   

I installed an Evotech rad guard earlier on the bike, took 5min or less.then chose the task of removing the warning sticker from my tank.... Took an hour with much diligence and patience lol.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

Archived