The MT-07 Forum

Hi from Michigan

skousik

Hey everyone,

I'm a lurker/new-ish motorcyclist. My plan is to buy an FZ-07 when I sell my current bike, some time this summer/fall, so I've been reading this forum like a fiend learning everything I can. The whole reason I got into motorcycling was because I saw an ad for an FZ-07 a couple of years ago, and it's been calling me ever since.

I currently have a 2008 Ninja 250R as my first bike, and I've put 2k miles on it since September. Given that I'm in Michigan, I've been mostly riding while it's snowing/below freezing (I've dropped once because of ice/slush at ~5mph, but otherwise been fine). I'm amazed that my carbureted motor starts up in 15º weather, but it does.

I plan on riding year-round with the FZ as well, so I'm curious if anyone has done any winter riding (especially with Shinko 705s or some other dual-sport tire on).

Cheers!

IMG_4604.jpg

• Premium Member

I'm also from Mi,Ive ridden in below 36 but I stay off the snow. The bike is a naked so in cold weather wind protection is minimal. Heated everything is required. I would look at the FJ-09 you can ride so you know how to not kill yourself so far. The FZ-07 is like 70 ish hp the FJ-09 is just over 100 for reference.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I'm also from Mi,Ive ridden in below 36 but I stay off the snow. The bike is a naked so in cold weather wind protection is minimal. Heated everything is required. I would look at the FJ-09 you can ride so you know how to not kill yourself so far. The FZ-07 is like 70 ish hp the FJ-09 is just over 100 for reference.
Thanks! Yeah, I've been avoiding riding when there's much snow on the roads - though my Battlax tires are surprisingly capable if there's just a thin layer.

The FZ-07 has the right "look" for me, though I have no idea why. I think even the FZ-09 is hideous by comparison, and the FJ is right out :P but I didn't consider how important the fairings on the Ninja are for wind protection. I also have 12V heated gloves, which have been absolutely necessary. Maybe with a heated vest and socks I'd be fine on the FZ.

• Premium Member

The FZ-07 is a great bike ( its FUN ) it was my first bike I commuted on it the first year I had it plowing out over 15,000 miles that season riding in 30s. My hands even with heated grips get cold I think heated glove would help a ton. If you fell in love with the bike then get it and don't look back. You have a ton of options to configure the bike just how you want it.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

ducttapewd40

I usually wait until the lows stay above freezing and the salt and gravel have had a chance to get off the roads before taking it out. I used to get on it a little sooner when I lived in town and the drive was short but now if I take it to work, I'm going to be on it for 33 miles on country roads.

The ninja 250 to the FZ-07 will be a good transition. On my first test drive of the FZ it reminded me a little of my fiancee's 2005 ninja 250 that was her first bike. They're obviously different in a lot of ways like the FZ making a lot more power, but the power delivery from the parallel twin engines, seating position, low seat height and such were pretty similar. You're going to love having fuel injection and 3x as much torque though.

• Premium Member

Welcome, and I think you've made a good choice. I owned a Ninja 500 right before my FZ-07 (and lots of other bikes prior to that). The Ninja is a great little bike. The FZ-07 puts you in a little more upright position with less wind protection, so stock will probably make you a little more susceptible to the elements. One thing that most folks do though is buy some kind of fly screen to offer a little more protection, and improve the look, in most cases. I have the Givi screen, and with that, slightly lower bars (Renthal Ultra Lows), and rear sets, I was able to get my position lower than the Ninjas and the wind protection improved a lot too. I have some electric gloves and I have commuted down to 30F with some freeway speeds and it is not a problem. I think hand guards would gain you a few degrees, and heated grips would probably make your hands a none issue. The torso isn't a problem with the Givi screen and some good layering.

Why can't left turners see us?

Thanks, everyone!

Welcome, and I think you've made a good choice. I owned a Ninja 500 right before my FZ-07 (and lots of other bikes prior to that). The Ninja is a great little bike. The FZ-07 puts you in a little more upright position with less wind protection, so stock will probably make you a little more susceptible to the elements. One thing that most folks do though is buy some kind of fly screen to offer a little more protection, and improve the look, in most cases. I have the Givi screen, and with that, slightly lower bars (Renthal Ultra Lows), and rear sets, I was able to get my position lower than the Ninjas and the wind protection improved a lot too. I have some electric gloves and I have commuted down to 30F with some freeway speeds and it is not a problem. I think hand guards would gain you a few degrees, and heated grips would probably make your hands a none issue. The torso isn't a problem with the Givi screen and some good layering.
That's some solid advice! Have you felt that lowering the bars makes it uncomfortable to ride for long distances? I know after I ride for 3-4 hrs on the Ninja, the forward-leaning seating position makes me have to constantly shift my weight between my lower back and arms to be comfortable. 
Also, I'm a shorter rider (5' 6"), but I got a chance to sit on someone's FZ, and I could flatfoot better than I can on the Ninja, hehe. The FZ even tips side-to-side much easier, and *feels* lighter (even though my Ninja weighs 25 lbs less).

• Premium Member
Thanks, everyone! 

That's some solid advice! Have you felt that lowering the bars makes it uncomfortable to ride for long distances? I know after I ride for 3-4 hrs on the Ninja, the forward-leaning seating position makes me have to constantly shift my weight between my lower back and arms to be comfortable. 
Also, I'm a shorter rider (5' 6"), but I got a chance to sit on someone's FZ, and I could flatfoot better than I can on the Ninja, hehe. The FZ even tips side-to-side much easier, and *feels* lighter (even though my Ninja weighs 25 lbs less).
For me, comfort has as much to do with being in a "balanced" position as how much forward lean I have (within limits).  In the interest of full disclosure, I have an aftermarket seat too, and with the other changes I've made, I'm more comfortable for long distance than stock by a pretty large margin.  The FZ-07 even stock though is a very comfortable bike for commuting and city traffic.  The upright position just makes it a little fatiguing at freeway speeds for long stretches.    

Ah, got it! What aftermarket seat did you get? (If you have a build thread somewhere else, link me to that?) I'm making a build list of things I wanna do once I have the bike, so I'm always curious... As for fatigue on the freeway - I suppose I'm happier when I'm not on the freeway anyways :P

• Premium Member
Ah, got it! What aftermarket seat did you get? (If you have a build thread somewhere else, link me to that?) I'm making a build list of things I wanna do once I have the bike, so I'm always curious... As for fatigue on the freeway - I suppose I'm happier when I'm not on the freeway anyways :P
I had Laam Custom Seats make a seat for me. Here's a link to a thread about it.
Oh yea, and +1 on avoiding the freeway. ;)

• Premium Member

Welcome, I live just north of GR ...majority of the time after winter i don't ride till the temps and wind stay above 35°f all night...I'm a 3rd shifter and at 6am it's still dark out currently and the route to work consists of all semi hilly twisty open country back roads which are still damp enough to make my little 92' pickup truck rear end kick out randomly... But I still ride my bike after I wake up and the weather has been good, yea I will go cruise around and run errands till dark...

I highly recommend the seat concepts seat w/gripper top...I'm 6' at 160#, so naturally I need a seat to make my skinny butt happy...I can ride to the UP, cruise around and head back home taking the side roads majority of the time and not have any major annoying discomfort...and the gripper seat material is awesome because under hard accleration I barely slide back without gripping the tank with my legs...or slide forward when braking...

I cannot comment on the dual sport  tires as I do not ride a motorcycle in the snow, but I will ride my dirt bike tho... there are a handful of peeps here who have put dual sport tires on...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 1 month later...
IMG_4921.jpg

Sorry I fell off the map - grad school pulled me in deep. But in better news, I am now an FZ owner! Here she is in the stable, parked next to the Ninja that I gotta get around to selling.

Thanks for the advice on the seats! Now it's time to start shopping for all these upgrades (as time and money permit........)

Archived