The MT-07 Forum

Change from a BMW K75?

stickynipples

stickynipples

Hi all,

I'm happy to be here.

I've been riding for a few years and consider myself fairly competent but of course nothing advanced at all. 

I have been riding an 1993 BMW K75 (75hp and 50 lb.fts on about a 500 lb bike) and am looking at getting an FZ-07 but am unsure of the purchase becuase the horsepower and torque figures are a downgrade even though the fizz is a much lighter bike. Would anyone be able to comment on whether this will be much of a change? I don't want to move sideways but also don't want to get a bike I'll kill myself on.

I have a 30" inseam and am about 160 lbs so I'm thinking the fizzer might be a perfect fit based on what I've read.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'll mostly be riding around town, commuting, and having fun on weekends with this bike. No cross-country or track days but still looking for a bike I'll have a big grin when I ride.

For riding around town its hard to find a better bike than the 07, and it will be faster than the K75 but if you want a lot faster you may want something like the fz09.
There is no wind protection so commuting at high speed is not much fun. Gas milage is great tho.
Bang for the buck , among the best there is.

• Premium Member

The FZ-07 (MT-07) is over 120+ pounds lighter with a full tank of gas than the K75 (my FZ-07 is 380 pounds with full tank)... HP/TQ wise ,the stock FZ-07 puts almost 70hp/50tq to the rear wheel, its very close if the HP/TQ you listed for the k75 are at the rear wheel( if the HP/TQ you listed for the K75 are at the motor, than the K75 is underpowered compared to the FZ-07), but it's the 120 pound weight diffrence that's gonna make a world of difference...Im barely 180 pounds geared up with a 32×33 pant size and this FZ-07 doesn't miss a beat...

Where are you located? The US and EU bikes have a few stubble diffrences 

The FJ-07 or tracer 700 offer much more element protection, improved suspension feel, more suited to 2up and much more cargo friendly from the factory than the FZ-07 or MT-07

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

bigdaddybane

I had 1995 K75, rode it for almost 3 years before switching to Japanese brands. I loved the bike and I still think it was one of the best I owned. That three banger engine was bulletproof. Anyway, FZ07 is a totally different beast. Don't worry about the power, FZ has plenty of it and lighter weight makes it even quicker. The major difference I see is related to long ride capabilities and comfort. Although FZ07 could be ridden for extended period of time, it's not a match for K75. That being said, FZ will be a winner for short distance and city riding. As norcal616 have mentioned, take a look at FJ07 ... seems to be a much closer match to your BMW. If tracer is available in North America I would likely pick that one over FZ.

The K75 is one of my all time favourite bikes. It a pity BMW didn't persevere with it.
However the difference in ride of the MT(FZ) 07 is huge. The BMW is very balanced weight wise. The 07 is rear weight biased so the riding style is very different if you want to ride in a spirited manner.
The 07 required the fuelling seen to if you want a smooth throttle response.
I agree with the above comment the the 07 Tracer would be a better bike as it has a longer swingarm and SHOULD help fix the weight balance. Beware the fuel range of the 07 , as the tank is tiny. I don't know if the Tracer has a bigger tank ( I have been caught before with inaccurate yamaha information). The motor get great fuel economy but 13litres is just to small.
Plenty of information and stuff available for the 07 now so all is fixable ( except the std 07 rear weight bias) for this bike which is genuinely fun to ride . Oh yeah ...refoam the seat. The std one is aweful ( almost as bad as my BMW F800R was).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Forgot to mention. Don't sell the 75. I is and will continue to be a classic, only increasing in value as they rare.

stickynipples
Forgot to mention. Don't sell the 75. I is and will continue to be a classic, only increasing in value as they rare.
I would totally sell it. I love the bike but I want something different. I'm not sure anyone would pay a decent amount for it though so might not be worth the effort.  
The thing is in great shape, I did a spline lube and the cuts are still perfect, can see the marks from the milling machine when it was made lol But with only 44000 kilometres it's basically new according to what people say. 

bigdaddybane
I would totally sell it. I love the bike but I want something different. I'm not sure anyone would pay a decent amount for it though so might not be worth the effort.  
The thing is in great shape, I did a spline lube and the cuts are still perfect, can see the marks from the milling machine when it was made lol But with only 44000 kilometres it's basically new according to what people say. 
I agree with gregjet ... keep that K75 cause in 10 years from now you'll likely get more money for it than today. Btw, the guy who bought my 75 is still riding it. His odo reads 197,000km.

Only you know what you like so I suggest you go sit on one, check out the lay-out, the comfort, etc, etc. and test ride one for as long as they allow because it might not be the bike you thought it was or what someone else told you it was to them. I seriously doubt you'll think the bike is a slouch. All the pro reviews say the engine is a jewel, it's the main reason to own this bike, everything else is pretty much standard and a there are few things you may want to upgrade. This bike is likely to be a good, economical/fun commuter for years to come so gd bang 4 the buck. Did I say it wheelies if you want it to? Enter, SMILEMAN!  :D

Beemer

Also wheelies if you DON'T want it to. Check out the youtube video reviews.

Archived