The MT-07 Forum

Cleaning Front Sprocket

philthyphil

philthyphil

How often do you all clean the front sprocket on your bikes? I clean my chain up real good about every 500-700 miles or so, but thus far I haven't removed the front sprocket cover and cleaned the front sprocket. I'm at about 4000 miles. Is this something I should have done by now?

I've done it 3 times so that translates to around yearly. First time I did it was just around 1000 miles and it was filthy. Sprocket cover has thread locker so be careful, even after breaking the bolt, it requires some effort to slowly unscrew it.

• Premium Member

I do it every 3 chain cleans.

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

Depends on what lube you use. Dupont stuff is really clean. 3k miles I had the cover off and all that was there was the factory white grease.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

philthyphil

I ended up taking it off today for the first time. Bike has a little over 4000 miles on it. There was a little accumulation of lube piled up in the inside of the cover, and on the little chain guide that's in there, but over all it wasn't too bad. Probably could have just left it alone. I use the dupont wax stuff in the yellow can for lube. At least I know that I only need to do it every 4 or 5 thousand miles now. Thanks for the input! I did end up using blue loctite when re-securing all of the bolts as well. 

• Premium Member
I ended up taking it off today for the first time. Bike has a little over 4000 miles on it. There was a little accumulation of lube piled up in the inside of the cover, and on the little chain guide that's in there, but over all it wasn't too bad. Probably could have just left it alone. I use the dupont wax stuff in the yellow can for lube. At least I know that I only need to do it every 4 or 5 thousand miles now. Thanks for the input! I did end up using blue loctite when re-securing all of the bolts as well. 
Oh no..... I never use locktite on that stuff if anything anti seize. Steal bolts in aluminum are always a bad combo they tend to corrode and eat the aluminum.
Its fine now but if it were me next time pull them clean them wire wheel ect. put on anti seize before you put them back in ( torque is likely 15 ft lbs or something but don't hold me to it I just snug them) . as often as you are going to remove it you want it to be easy without the risk of damaging it.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

philthyphil
Oh no..... I never use locktite on that stuff if anything anti seize. Steal bolts in aluminum are always a bad combo they tend to corrode and eat the aluminum.
Its fine now but if it were me next time pull them clean them wire wheel ect. put on anti seize before you put them back in ( torque is likely 15 ft lbs or something but don't hold me to it I just snug them) . as often as you are going to remove it you want it to be easy without the risk of damaging it.

I figured since they had loctite on them to begin with, that it wouldn't be a bad idea to put (blue) loctite back on them when re-securing them. I did clean them up really well, and put masking tape over the holes where they screw back in while I was cleaning the front sprocket. I'm not too worried about it. 

• Premium Member

I figured since they had loctite on them to begin with, that it wouldn't be a bad idea to put (blue) loctite back on them when re-securing them. I did clean them up really well, and put masking tape over the holes where they screw back in while I was cleaning the front sprocket. I'm not too worried about it. 
Its not a big deal but locktite IMO is used for stuff you don't want to come off that plastic cover has 3 bolts holding it on its not going anywhere. It just makes it nicer the next time you have to take it off is all but you have to be careful with all the bolts on this bike always hand start them and make sure they are clean tons of guys have already cross threaded and stripped out blot holes on this bike. I stripped out one on that very same cover lucky there are 3 bolt holes haha 
PS Ive been a mechanic since 98 and I rarely use locktite ( lock tight is to a mechanic like fix a flat is to a tire guy )

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

philthyphil
Its not a big deal but locktite IMO is used for stuff you don't want to come off that plastic cover has 3 bolts holding it on its not going anywhere. It just makes it nicer the next time you have to take it off is all but you have to be careful with all the bolts on this bike always hand start them and make sure they are clean tons of guys have already cross threaded and stripped out blot holes on this bike. I stripped out one on that very same cover lucky there are 3 bolt holes haha 
PS Ive been a mechanic since 98 and I rarely use locktite ( lock tight is to a mechanic like fix a flat is to a tire guy )

Blue loctite is made to be used on things that you plan on taking off again in the future. It's the red stuff that is meant for permanent holding. The whole reason that I use blue loctite on stuff like this is so when I do tighten it up, I don't have to worry about getting them on there super tight to prevent vibration caused backing out of the bolts. That way I can just snug them up, and I know that the blue loctite isn't going to let them go anywhere. This helps prevent over tightening, without me having to use a torque wrench, and gives me the piece of mind that those bolts are going to stay put. And the blue loctite is easy enough to break free with hand tools next time that area needs servicing.  

Guest 2wheeler

So this thread inspired me to see how bad the buildup would be after 5500 miles without ever checking - mildly surprised.  It wasn't bad at all. I could have got away with scraping some goop off that curved plastic guard with a screwdriver and called it a day. Instead I played good mechanic and did a good clean job. Seriously there was very little gunk built up! 

What I did learn is that there is a cutout on the inside of the cover that you need to get the hoses and a clamp secured in that cutout, or the chain will make an uncool rubbing sound. Yes, I found out the hard way.

• Global Moderator

I am closing in on 10,000 miles and have yet to clean my front sprocket. I guess I know what I will be doing when I have an extra half hour.

Archived