The MT-07 Forum

NOT FZ but track related.

gregjet

Has anyone seen the lastest MotoGP race suit that Vinales is wearing at Losail practice? It appears to be something other than leather. Does anyone know what it actually is?

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

I heard the new suits are glorified airbags, heard something about a rule change just before winter hit here...

Edit...2018 all suits must have airbag system...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Has anyone seen the lastest MotoGP race suit that Vinales is wearing at Losail practice? It appears to be something other than leather. Does anyone know what it actually is?
It looks like a more blinged out version of a standard A* suit. The Moto GP guys get Kangaroo and Stingray instead of bovine leather. Maybe some new mix of heavily perffed Stingray overlay in spots. Who knows, they get all the crazy cool stuff. 

Well the last Qatar test has just finished. If you were a betting man ( I am not), you would be pretty brave at the moment to bet against Vinales. I said when he was in the tiddlers that he was probably the best rider I had ever seen. Haven't changed my mind. Maybe he has suck ALL of John Surtees last bits of spirit out and left only the shell...
True the races are the races, but right now he looks amazing.

Well the last Qatar test has just finished. If you were a betting man ( I am not), you would be pretty brave at the moment to bet against Vinales. I said when he was in the tiddlers that he was probably the best rider I had ever seen. Haven't changed my mind. Maybe he has suck ALL of John Surtees last bits of spirit out and left only the shell... True the races are the races, but right now he looks amazing.
It's no accident Yamaha snatched him away from  Suzuki. Look what he did there in the short time Suzuki has been back in GP. Holy fawk.

To be fair to the Suzie, they did handle better than anything else last year. Power was the problem, but at that level even a tiny deficit looks huge . They were easier on tyres as well and that would have helped also consiudering the state of the tyres at the end some races.

• Premium Member

I don't follow MotoGP, but know KTM is back with a new V4. What do you guys think of the new KTM and it's chances of success?

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I don't follow MotoGP, but know KTM is back with a new V4. What do you guys think of the new KTM and it's chances of success?
I think they'll do pretty well all things considered. They have been involved in racing for ever and are all in. Their Moto GP effort is a steel trellis frame like our FZ's are (the only steel tube frame on the grid). Their engine is pretty cool and they have extensive experience building steel tube chasis. They are relatively fast for this early in their effort but do lack experience on many of the tracks at this level. Power wise they are close, handling is getting better, electronics are getting dialed in but here is where lack of experience hurts them. Looks like a similar season to suzuki's first season back, decent showing. My guess will be Yamaha/Honda battling for top manufacturers honors, Suzuki/Ducati for third, then KTM/Aprillia. My .02, be fun either way!  

• Premium Member

Mossrider pretty much said what I was gonna say...I expect a few teething problems, gonna be a tad more interesting now with a new manufacturer, offer diffrent race ideas, etc...might see some innovative stuff happening... and yes KTM has lightyears of resources and technology but can they harness it? alot if it's gonna fall onto the riders and the riders ability to get changes or not...

I bet KTM runs WP suspension secretly with Ohlins internals ?

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 2 weeks later...

Having ridden Sally's KTM 690 Duke with "standard" suspension I can attest that WP can build suspension well. Even that set is the best stock suspension I have ever ridden. It is better than a lot of suspensions that I have aftermarketed ( weight and brilliant chassis helps a lot of course). They have years of MotoGP experience with the small bikes so they aren't starting from scratch.

Anyway The big first race has arrived and I am a bit less excited. I know practice isn't racing, but Vinales is just dominating so ridiculously. I am fearing a procession ( at least at the very front ) following him. Don't get me wrong , I think he is one of the best ever, but I am fearing a bit of a whitewash at present. But as they say " the BS stops when the flag drops".
Zarco up there this last one. Folger before. Iannone on the Suzuki. Marquez of course. Cal has had some goodies. Dovi is finally shuffled to the pointy end. Second seems a lot less well defined.
Jack Miller looks like he is done though. Unless something happens , he is a way back also ran again.
Rabat doesn't seem to have ever clicked in the bigger boys.
Karel Abrahams is back ...why?
Hours to go...

• 3 weeks later...

MotoGP ARGENTINA : Oh dear. Vinales is looking like making it into a procession year. Always been impressed with his unagressive precision riding but I wasn't hoping he wouldn't be that good.
The circuit looked to me like it was aweful for racing bikes at that level. Everybody looked like they were fighting their bikes.
Zarco and Folger were impresssive again.
Karel Abrahams...WHY....?
Rossi was Rossi...nuf said.
Cal Crutchlow looks excellent again. Factory ride next year?
Looks like the vaunted Honda tracl was definitely a Yamaha track...

Archived