The MT-07 Forum

Hip Armor?

texastj

I've been looking into getting some riding pants and opted for the knee pads, how many of y'all run with hip pads? They're only and additional $25 so that's not the issue. Just curious how many people use em and if they're necessary. I don't track or stunt the bike, just casual riding.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rokker-d3o-hip-protectors

I have slim riding pants with hip armor. My only beef is it gives you the appearance of hips.. lol.

Both my wife's pants have hip armor. It was a godsend to her. She dropped her bike 6 times (yes...) and I believe 5 of those times her hip armor did its job. One of the time she just hopped off and landed on her feet.

So its not really for track use, its for any use. You will most likely impact your hips first when you go down.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

I've been looking into getting some riding pants and opted for the knee pads, how many of y'all run with hip pads? They're only and additional $25 so that's not the issue. Just curious how many people use em and if they're necessary. I don't track or stunt the bike, just casual riding. 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rokker-d3o-hip-protectors
That's a good question. Most people will tell you that you should wear protective gear 'just in case' because you never know how (or if) you're going to wreck. I personally haven't seen on this site that many people use hip protection but I can say I do. I use Bohn Armor and it has hip protection along with tail bone, thigh and knee protection. It isn't cheap, though. 
https://www.amazon.com/Bohn-Bodyguard-CoolAir-Armored-Pants/dp/B001T5EURY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489083132&sr=8-2&keywords=bohn+armor+pants

Beemer

pineappleunderthesea

I had dropped my previous bike while slowly taking a left on a road that had a whole bunch of rubble. The bike immediately went under me, and I fell sideways with it, hitting my left hip and left shoulder. Shoulder was more or less fine the next few days (I had shoulder armor), but my hip was a big disgusting sore bruise for quite a while, since I did not wear hip armor. All this from basically a 2-foot fall while going maybe 5 mph.

I now wear hip armor with my Scorpion Covert Pro riding jeans, as well as my Revit motorcycle pants. So just another data point for you in case you think you have fragile hips!

I think I have young strong hips haha. Thanks for the input. I'm waiting on Rev to price match something else and then I'll probably order the hip pads. Worst case scenario, they're uncomfortable and I don't wear them. I'm only out $25. Best case I go down and they protect my hips for only $25.

I crashed in Joe rocket leather pants with little to no hip padding low siding at about 40 MPH. My hip was the only thing I hurt, just soreness from impact for about a week or two. I've since upgraded. If a gentle low side did that I don't want to be ill-prepared for a bigger crash. My hips were fine on my more recent accident in the better gear, but my face and shoulder hit first so I wouldn't expect my hip to get very injured anyways.

If you ever go down, and you almost certainly will eventually, you won't be thinking about how much you spent on your gear unless you didn't spend enough.

Archived