The MT-07 Forum

Holy Shoei!!!

danfz07

Keep in mind that adding a windscreen of pretty much any height will cause every helmet to be louder.

I've always worn earplugs but found I could live comfortably w/o on my naked FZ with my Arai - that is - until I added an MRA screen to the mix. Now I'm back to earplugs all the time on both bikes. My Aprilia's screen is bigger and so is the noise inside the same helmet.

My Shoei 1200 is not quiet. I have been riding around Thailand for months and while it is extremely comfortable and well vented it makes a heck of a lot of wind noise. If I push up on the padding at the base of my helmet behind my ear while riding I can get one side quiet until I let go. I don't need bigger cheek pads but perhaps if Shoei offered a wider pad at the bottom I would have a more peaceful riding experience.
Did you double check sizing to ensure that you had the right shell size?  I fell in between the small and medium and went with the small.  It fits snug and the neck roll provides a pretty good seal without being constricting.  I still wear earplugs regardless as it is impossible (IMO) to have "quiet" and "great airflow" in the same helmet.  Does the sound improve with the vents closed?  Do you have the chin curtain installed? 
Just some thoughts.

I just bought an RF12000 on eBay for $180. Really great helmet. Love the pinlock system, the graphics look wicked, and I feel more safe in it rather my old modular that was loose on my noggin.

Only problem is.. the helmet is 7 years old. Which I should've asked the seller before buying it. From what I understand the material on the inside eventually breaks down. So I'm kinda concerned about falling but maybe I'll try and go with God this season and next season I'll buy a brand new one. We'll see.

I ride in 36+c weather so keeping my helmet fully vented is very necessary. Also I do not have a chin wind guard in because I often find myself scratching my face in the course of a days ride. My Shoes was sized and I am a large head. Perhaps I am just an odd fit and going to have to live with high wind noise behind my ears. Regardless I won't ride without my Shoei :)

Keep safe all.

After now having quite a few rides in the RF-1200 I am still loving it. liner seems to be breaking in nicely and I installed a Cardo Freecom in it. The helmet is still very quiet for me but my bike is pretty much completely naked. I do have one of those very small front pieces that adds nothing more than something to look at. Noise does increase some when the larger top vents are opened but with the center slider open I cannot tell any difference. I also believe that rider position has something to do with the noise and I am pretty tucked with my woodcraft clip on bars. Overall I am extremely impressed with the lid. While I have liked most all of my other helmets i don't think I have ever had one that just worked out so well for me. If I were to have any nit pick it would be that the cheek pads put a little pressure on my ears that after a while make the foam ear plugs start to hurt. Without plugs there is not pressure so I am trying some other plugs to see if that helps. just ordered some of the surefire plugs to see if they make things better.

Dan

suspiciouspackage
I just bought an RF12000 on eBay for $180. Really great helmet. Love the pinlock system, the graphics look wicked, and I feel more safe in it rather my old modular that was loose on my noggin. 
Only problem is.. the helmet is 7 years old. Which I should've asked the seller before buying it. From what I understand the material on the inside eventually breaks down. So I'm kinda concerned about falling but maybe I'll try and go with God this season and next season I'll buy a brand new one. We'll see.
The RF1200 is only 2 years old, coming up on 3, someone correct me if I'm wrong. It sounds like you have an RF1100.

Besides my Scorpion (which is still for sale, shameless plug), the RF1200 is the only helmet I've used. And I use earplugs for anything I go above 45mph. It surprises me that people will say it's a quiet helmet when I feel like it's loud. But I have sensitive hearing and am used to earplugs, so that might be why. But I haven't ridden in a "loud" helmet either without plugs. 
Don't get me wrong, I love my helmet though. I can change visors without taking my helmet off and I think the all white is pretty sexy.
LOL  do 23 years in the Air Force and we will see what your hearing is like!  Ive worn ear protection most my life and I am still destined for hearing aids soon.  Maybe thats my problem, everything seems quiet next to an F16 
Dan

I blew my ears out at rock concerts in the 80's. Motley crew in 84, we were standing front row right in front of the amp smokin weed with girls on our shoulders flashing their Taa taa's at the band. The girls got invited back stage and we went home with ears ringing and my hearing has been shot ever since. The things we did for taa taa's.

I strongly advise against buying used helmets. I say this because I care, not to be a snob. You want the helmet to be at max protection capacity. I toss helmets after three years. Period. It may have been dropped and the internals could be broke down or damaged.

Please, at least go to my thread titled "closeout pricing on helmets jackets and boots", located in general discussions board. In there is links to retailers closeout pricing pages and there are new helmets as low as $65 and some $600 helmets on super closeout pricing as well.

Good gear is so important. If you get in a wreck, that split second as you are flying thru the air, you want to be wearing good fresh gear.

Also, for good karma, don't sell used helmets either. Just throw em out and you may save someone's life or brain.

Gear is expensive, I'm often wearing over $1000 in gear while riding but it's cheaper than neuro surgery or worse, a funeral.

LOL  do 23 years in the Air Force and we will see what your hearing is like!  Ive worn ear protection most my life and I am still destined for hearing aids soon.  Maybe thats my problem, everything seems quiet next to an F16 
Dan
I blew my ears out at rock concerts in the 80's. Motley crew in 84, we were standing front row right in front of the amp smokin weed with girls on our shoulders flashing their Taa taa's at the band. The girls got invited back stage and we went home with ears ringing and my hearing has been shot ever since. The things we did for taa taa's.
The things we STILL do for taa taa's!!! 

That first indoors Concert will definitely take its toll on the ears. 100% to 80% or less in a few hours

I strongly advise against buying used helmets. I say this because I care, not to be a snob. You want the helmet to be at max protection capacity. I toss helmets after three years. Period. It may have been dropped and the internals could be broke down or damaged. 
Please, at least go to my thread titled "closeout pricing on helmets jackets and boots", located in general discussions board. In there is links to retailers closeout pricing pages and there are new helmets as low as $65 and some $600 helmets on super closeout pricing as well.

Good gear is so important. If you get in a wreck, that split second as you are flying thru the air, you want to be wearing good fresh gear.

Also, for good karma, don't sell used helmets either. Just throw em out and you may save someone's life or brain.

Gear is expensive, I'm often wearing over $1000 in gear while riding but it's cheaper than neuro surgery or worse, a funeral.
Yeah, I'll see what I'm going to do. I really do like the helmet. I'd prefer not to eat the loss, but I guess we'll see.  
My birthday is coming up the 27th of this month and I already know I'm going to get the AVG sport willow perforated leather pants, and I'm going to ATTEMPT to buy some sidi race boots. I would be fully protected with those additions as I have some nice gloves and a leather jacket. It's just the helmet's manufacturing date that's bothering me.

Dan
I hope it wasn't that old school dirt weed, that sh*t sucked! ;) Awesome big hair band that Motley Crue, one of the few I actually liked. Girls, girls, girls! 

Beemer

Archived