The MT-07 Forum

Holy Shoei!!!

danfz07

I have always been an Arai guy and in 25 years of riding I have never owned a Shoei.  I know that is a little hard to believe and I have owned several other brands such as HJCs and Bells.  Well I finally broke down to try a shoei after my Signet Q had to be returned due to fit and just not liking how much noise it made tucked.  Picked up a RF-1200 in the white and black Mistify graphic.  It came in last nite and this morning was my first ride with it.  I cannot believe how quiet this thing is.  My bike sounded louder due to the lack of wind noise.  I always wear ear plugs and all the vents were closed (kind of nippy this morning) but this is the quietest lid I have ever put on my head.  I also never realized how crappy visibility was on all my other helmets.  I have low woodcraft clip on bars so I am pretty tucked and I can see amazingly well and do not have to drop my head to see my gauges.  I have always had to do that with my other helmets.  So far I am VERY impressed with this thing.  Best part I was able to pick it up on a clearance due to them discontinuing the graphic for only $400 bucks.  I would pay full price for one of these and think it was worth every penny and more.  Sorry Arai, looks like I'm a Shoei guy now!

Congrats on the new lid! I have the same in a different graphic and love it as well, though it is my first helmet. I can only hope that there is improvement on future releases when I find myself in the market again! Enjoy!

I have always been an Arai guy and in 25 years of riding I have never owned a Shoei.  I know that is a little hard to believe and I have owned several other brands such as HJCs and Bells.  Well I finally broke down to try a shoei after my Signet Q had to be returned due to fit and just not liking how much noise it made tucked.  Picked up a RF-1200 in the white and black Mistify graphic.  It came in last nite and this morning was my first ride with it.  I cannot believe how quiet this thing is.  My bike sounded louder due to the lack of wind noise.  I always wear ear plugs and all the vents were closed (kind of nippy this morning) but this is the quietest lid I have ever put on my head.  I also never realized how crappy visibility was on all my other helmets.  I have low woodcraft clip on bars so I am pretty tucked and I can see amazingly well and do not have to drop my head to see my gauges.  I have always had to do that with my other helmets.  So far I am VERY impressed with this thing.  Best part I was able to pick it up on a clearance due to them discontinuing the graphic for only $400 bucks.  I would pay full price for one of these and think it was worth every penny and more.  Sorry Arai, looks like I'm a Shoei guy now!

Link to where you bought it please?

Link to where you bought it please?
I put a link up on the "what you bought for your fz today" thread but sure I could put one here too.   
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/product/shoei-rf-1200-mystify-full-face-helmet/375-0109-1101-03.aspx

Good report, was eyeing the 1200's myself recently
Granted I only one commute ride in it, but I cant believe how good it is.  The graphics look amazing, you can really see the quality.  The fits is spot on for my head.  Little snug in the cheeks but those tend to get better with in a few miles.  The shield is the easiest one I have ever changed.  The vents are easy to operate and seem to flow plenty of air, although that is tough for me to comment on given the temp I have ridden in.  If you are thinking of getting one, I would search for some of the old graphics and try and find one you like for 1/3 off the price.   
Dan

Pretty funny - after a couple decades of wearing only Shoei helmets, the latest issues from them have changed shape enough that Shoei makes nothing that fits my noggin. In fact, I couldn't wait to get one model off after about 30 secs. With my RF1000 getting a bit nasty, I really couldn't put t off much longer. Arai RXQ to the rescue. The price tag sure did hurt, but the helmet felt like it was custom made for my the shape of my head/face.

Can't speak to the RF1200, but the RXQ is far quieter than the old RF1000. I suspect like tires, newer tech is always better than old when it comes to helmets.

As for the shield, man I miss Shoei's attachment system. I've tried a couple times to get up the nerve to remove the face shield and decided it just wasn't worth the risk of breaking the dang thing when it didn't want to budge - just to clean it.

I took a 200 mile ride yesterday and was still just as impressed. For what I do day in and day out it may be the best lid I have put on. I do notice a little more noise when all the vents are open but still very good. Fit still seems to be great. I do like the fact I ride in a snell rated helmet. I have a great flip up but for what ever reason it still bothers me when riding. I like the fact that I am riding in the safest thing I can put on my head. Maybe that is why I was always an Arai guy. They may awesome stuff and I always thought they may have been the safest out there. This shoei is awesome though!

eh, don't think you have to worry about the safety level of that Shoei. You already know the materials, fit-finish are excellent. Besides, all Snell approved helmets meet the same standards. Ultimately, a helmet that's very comfortable to wear (no pressure points and reasonably quiet) results in less fatigue and that one thing becomes as important as any safety test. So enjoy.

Hate popping bubbles but there is no proven best helmet when it comes to helmet safety. The manufacturers themselves state they cannot test for every possible type of impact so the jury is truly still out. A person can say certain features of a helmet are the best among others but that's where the bragging rights stop.  - signed, Party Pooper

Beemer

pineappleunderthesea

I've had my Shoei Qwest for 5 years or so, it's been a nice helmet. I chose that one because it was designed with more of an upright rider, so the vent scheme works well.

The one thing about Snell ratings is that they don't seem to take into account rotational impacts. So I'm not sure that a Snell rating means you have the safest helmet. That's assuming of course that helmets that have liners that take into account rotational impacts actually work and just not a Marketing ploy...

Hate popping bubbles but there is no proven best helmet when it comes to helmet safety. The manufacturers themselves state they cannot test for every possible type of impact so the jury is truly still out. A person can say certain features of a helmet are the best among others but that's where the bragging rights stop.  - signed, Party Pooper
True that - Whether DOT or Snell, they are basically only designed to  protect us from falling straight down off of the bike. Of course, a helmet that's not comfortable and tires us out or worse, not worn - well, it's not gonna help much hangin off the seat.  
Aria "claims" that the round shape of their shell is less likely to grab in an impact to the ground - sounds good, but who knows. Slam head first into a wall at 60 mph, well, that sound won't be good. 

I have a decent Bell Helmet in the closet that I bought for a part-time passenger. It fit her well, but fit/finish of the interior and exterior bits that went into making it are not up to Shoei/Arai stds. Of course, neither was the price tag! Though I'd never ride w/o, I'm happy not to test any of 'em. 

I think as far as the safety part goes any modular helmet has a weak point in the hinge, if I can do without adding a weak point then I will.

suspiciouspackage

Besides my Scorpion (which is still for sale, shameless plug), the RF1200 is the only helmet I've used. And I use earplugs for anything I go above 45mph. It surprises me that people will say it's a quiet helmet when I feel like it's loud. But I have sensitive hearing and am used to earplugs, so that might be why. But I haven't ridden in a "loud" helmet either without plugs.

Don't get me wrong, I love my helmet though. I can change visors without taking my helmet off and I think the all white is pretty sexy.

I think as far as the safety part goes any modular helmet has a weak point in the hinge, if I can do without adding a weak point then I will.
I take it you're saying the chin is susceptible to breaking because of the it being attached at a hinge point. I would agree. I was thinking about buying one just so I could flip up the face to get fresh air and a lot of it quickly if I wanted but my youngest brother said the same thing you said and talked me out of it.  

Beemer

suspiciouspackage
I take it you're saying the chin is susceptible to breaking because of the it being attached at a hinge point. I would agree. I was thinking about buying one just so I could flip up the face to get fresh air and a lot of it quickly if I wanted but my youngest brother said the same thing you said and talked me out of it.
I remember my MSF course, someone asked the instructor about the safety of modular helmets. He said he heard a story of a guy who crashed and the hinge failed. Let's just say the bottom of his face wasn't pretty enough for photos anymore. I took it with a grain of salt though. If you think about it, you have to be hitting the ground really hard on your chin for that chinbar hinge to fail. And even then, I'd be more worried about snapping my neck and dying or being paralyzed. Plus it's a really awkward way to go down other than slamming into the back of something and going headfirst into the ground.

• Premium Member

I'll tell you this, each time I've crashed my head hit the ground hard, any part of your body hits first then your head follows. No way would I ever consider anything other than a full face but that is just me.

Sincerely,
Guy that still has his face

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Full faced helmets were few and far between when I 1st started riding back in 1970. Wouldn't leave home w/o one now. I still have all my old full face hats starting with a Bell Star from 1981 or so, sitting on a mantle collecting dust.

As for the modulars, they are far more secure now than they were say 10 years ago. Of course, get into an "incident" with the chin part up and it won't do much good.

I remember my MSF course, someone asked the instructor about the safety of modular helmets. He said he heard a story of a guy who crashed and the hinge failed. Let's just say the bottom of his face wasn't pretty enough for photos anymore. I took it with a grain of salt though. If you think about it, you have to be hitting the ground really hard on your chin for that chinbar hinge to fail. And even then, I'd be more worried about snapping my neck and dying or being paralyzed. Plus it's a really awkward way to go down other than slamming into the back of something and going headfirst into the ground.
Yup! You never know what angle you're head is going to slam or how hard but at the time I just figured a full face has to be stronger so I went with it, not taking anything else into consideration. If I bought another helmet it just might be a modular one, if it looks sporty enough.  

Beemer

Besides my Scorpion (which is still for sale, shameless plug), the RF1200 is the only helmet I've used. And I use earplugs for anything I go above 45mph. It surprises me that people will say it's a quiet helmet when I feel like it's loud. But I have sensitive hearing and am used to earplugs, so that might be why. But I haven't ridden in a "loud" helmet either without plugs. 
Don't get me wrong, I love my helmet though. I can change visors without taking my helmet off and I think the all white is pretty sexy.
LOL  do 23 years in the Air Force and we will see what your hearing is like!  Ive worn ear protection most my life and I am still destined for hearing aids soon.  Maybe thats my problem, everything seems quiet next to an F16 
Dan

I really didn't start this to be a discussion on modular vs full face helmets but maybe we should start at new thread. I am still digging the new shoei though. Had several rides in it now and it is shaping up to be one of the best lid I have worn. Still like everything about it and haven't found really any flaws. For the money it may be the best thing out there in my opinion.

Dan

I love my Shoei GT Air that I bought in september, never had a better helmet. Perfect fit for me and it doesn't fog up in cold weather like all the others did.

Love my Shoei 1200 -- that being said: ATTN SHOEI: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a helmet with built in camera and 4+ hr battery packs!!!!

My Shoei 1200 is not quiet. I have been riding around Thailand for months and while it is extremely comfortable and well vented it makes a heck of a lot of wind noise. If I push up on the padding at the base of my helmet behind my ear while riding I can get one side quiet until I let go. I don't need bigger cheek pads but perhaps if Shoei offered a wider pad at the bottom I would have a more peaceful riding experience.

Love my Shoei 1200 -- that being said: ATTN SHOEI: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a helmet with built in camera and 4+ hr battery packs!!!!
maybe just wear a microwave oven

Archived