The MT-07 Forum

DIY: Gauge Cluster/Speedo Relocate and Custom Flyscreen

jmacas87

Disclaimer:
Moving the speedo and cleaning up the front end are things that have come up in the past with different owners. I did this project purely out of my need to tinker, and to see what I can come up with. I've seen a couple of guys do a good job with the relocate using their full sized winscreens. I wanted to come up with a low profile, minimal "flyscreen" style windscreen that is basically just there to hide and cleanup the speedo relocation/brackets. 
I'm not actually running the setup right now as I like the naked front end look. I'll keep it in my back pocket for the future should I want to run it. 

Onto the build:

I only needed a few things for this project. 

-A donor windscreen that I could hack down to custom flyscreen size:
https://www.amazon.com/Areyourshop-Windshield-WindScreen-Bracket-2013-2015/dp/B01I9CA5UU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1488989063&sr=8-5&keywords=fz07+windscreen

-Corner bracing from a local hardware store. 

-M6 Screws (I happened to have socket head cap screws laying around)

-1/4 inch x 1/2 long plastic spacers 

Here you can see the setup. The windscreen and brackets are basically a puig touring size knock off. Basically all I did was bend up the corner braces to make a couple of brackets for the speedo. Under the windscreen brackets, I used the spacers to make room for the speedo area.
Y7FirAfl.jpg

Here's the speedo mounted before the flyscreen.
Dzx2Qlwl.jpg

Hack mode: windscreen edition. Jigsaw, dremel, sandpaper check.
oeEc0J6l.jpg

Newly made "flyscreen" mounted

s9wvhWZl.jpg
sHUggv5l.jpg
NakCmnil.jpg

zOTjtsNh.jpg
1n8SvnSh.jpg

Still need to polish off the cut edges with progressive grits of sandpaper. The setup is solid and the viewing angle of the speedo is great. Obviously the small flyscreen size isn't really meant for wind deflection or protection, it's mostly to cleanup the front end. Although in a full tuck at high speeds (a la trackdays) it may help airflow pass up over your helmet, time will tell maybe I'll run it at my first trackday.

All in all, just wanted to provide another option for the FZ tinkerers out there!

• Premium Member

Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 1 month later...
versysrider

Great job, looks factory. Some aluminum fat bars would really finish it off.

Got a part number or something on the new speedo brackets? Did the brackets come as they look, black, with mounting holes and foam tape? Were they from a national chain of hardware stores?

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

That looks great, and kind of what I have been looking to do. Where exactly did you cut the screen. Did you just trim down the top?

Dan

• 2 months later...
That looks great, and kind of what I have been looking to do. Where exactly did you cut the screen. Did you just trim down the top? 
Dan

Yup just chopped the top where I wanted it

• Premium Member

Nice! The screen came out great

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived