The MT-07 Forum

Best FZ07 upgrade for new and old riders?

Cruizin

Sage advise. I would add that you should make sure that the protective wear is properly fitted, since that will make a huge difference in both comfort and efficacy of protection. Comfortable to wear means that you'll actually wear it given a choice.

• Like 3

bigdaddybane

Great advise. Unfortunately many new or experienced riders simply overlook the importance of ATGATT. Buy a good quality gear, it will outlast inexpensive junk by huge margin and offer "real" protection in those not so pleasant situations.

• Like 1

Cycle gear If you live close to one of their stores, try stuff on at the store and then go home and click here to get better than store pricing! Cycle Gear Closeouts page

Just click boots/jackets helmets etc to get all sale/closeouts

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Well stated @admin .  I wholeheartedly agree here.
I always suggest a nice lengthy browse, (and really dig around) through the endless gruesome photos of MC accidents and E.R. injuries and further consider the serious and permanent physical, mental and financial repercussions of not wearing proper gear. Buying gear that's "good enough" or because it was cheap is not good enough. If you go down best of luck with those denim jeans or that $50 mesh jacket because asphalt doesn't care about you or the "sweet deal" you got.
Spend those extra bucks instead of possibly losing something, or everything because you took the lackadaisical or cheap route.

Just last week my workmate worked with a younger fellow who I briefly talked bikes with. He almost lost his entire leg and arm because a woman who apparently blacked out, swerved over the centre line ...he was damn lucky, although he no longer has a fibula. He was wearing jeans, a hoodie and due to the running shoes he was wearing he also almost lost a foot because it ground down to the heel bone. While we talked he shook his head in shame and regret but damage is done. His scars are bloody horrific. I couldnt imagine the suffering he's endured and probably still does.
Obviously proper gear isnt going save you every time but it sure helps even the odds. 

There's a saying we throw around in our industry that I feel applies....
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" 

I added some high intensity led light pods (x4) and and handful of Bikevis Bullets to help dummies see me out there.
http://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/product_p/tt-dm.htm
https://www.bikevis.com/product/bikevis-bullets-v2-motorcycle-running-lights/

• Like 2

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Great points all around. For those who haven't had this realization yet, let me add: a helmet that fits YOUR head shape is worth it's weight in gold. Before you set your sights on that $600 Shoei figure out what your own head shape is (oval, round, long oval, somewhere in between). A great helmet it may be, but if it doesn't fit the shape of your head it will be a drag - pressure headaches are annoying and they well definitely effect you while riding. The last helmet I purchased I bought because of features and looks, it came from a reputable manufacturer and cost me a pretty penny that I was happy to pay even though I hadn't tried it on. That was a mistake. I wore it maybe 3 - 4 times before I went back to my $100 closeout special. It's a great helmet, but it doesn't fit my head shape and riding with it on felt like crap. I'm getting ready to pick up a new lid and part of that process will be going around to actual shops to try them on in person. Maybe others are luckier than I with ordering this type of gear online, but I firmly believe in a try it on before you buy it (and by that I mean try it on and when you find something you like, go online to find the same thing on closeout).

• Like 1

Here in the UK it seems to me that nearly everyone wears protective gear (there's always the exception). Another matter for me is being comfortable. Aching wrists, back or bum can be a distraction when you need maximum concentration. For me a solution has been to modify the seat. (From an oldie)

• Like 1

Just do it! 

• 2 months later...

A new right wrist that still goes to WFO mode :)

ATGAT man ATGAT

• Like 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 2 months later...
quicklimegirl

About helmets, yes they need to fit properly, of course. As to individual protective items (pants, jackets, gloves, boots & helmet) I always spend the most on a top quality helmet. My preferred choice is Shoei RF1200. It fits me perfectly, and it's really light, which is very important. I have arthritic pain in my neck from a whiplash injury I got digging up part of a tree stump. Proof yardwork is dangerous to your health...LOL. Heavier helmets make this spot sore.

Three years ago (Aug 10) I had a texting, drunk driver stop w/o warning in front of me - no brakelights, right after we'd both turned onto the same road. Just starting to accelerate in 2nd, doing about 30mph, I couldn't stop in time. I hit at about 20-25 mph. The front tire of my RZ350 hit his bumper, and I flew headfirst into the car's hatchback door. While I did get a f*cked up shoulder that required surgery & a painful 16-month PT rehab, the helmet saved me from additional injury. I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE SO MUCH AS A HEADACHE AFTERWARD!!! Yeah, it's ALL important, but a helmet is by far the most important part. There's a reason why some helmets are quite a bit more expensive, and it's not the cool graphics.

About helmets, yes they need to fit properly, of course. As to individual protective items (pants, jackets, gloves, boots & helmet) I always spend the most on a top quality helmet. My preferred choice is Shoei RF1200. It fits me perfectly, and it's really light, which is very important. I have arthritic pain in my neck from a whiplash injury I got digging up part of a tree stump. Proof yardwork is dangerous to your health...LOL. Heavier helmets make this spot sore. 
Three years ago (Aug 10) I had a texting, drunk driver stop w/o warning in front of me - no brakelights, right after we'd both turned onto the same road. Just starting to accelerate in 2nd, doing about 30mph, I couldn't stop in time. I hit at about 20-25 mph. The front tire of my RZ350 hit his bumper, and I flew headfirst into the car's hatchback door. While I did get a f*cked up shoulder that required surgery & a painful 16-month PT rehab, the helmet saved me from additional injury. I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE SO MUCH AS A HEADACHE AFTERWARD!!! Yeah, it's ALL important, but a helmet is by far the most important part. There's a reason why some helmets are quite a bit more expensive, and it's not the cool graphics.

A member of our forum died in his way to work a couple years ago, leaving behind his wife and unborn child when a careless car pulled out in front of him. Rip.

quicklimegirl

I'm sorry to hear that. Too many people die or are maimed by careless, idiotic car drivers who fail to yield the right-of-way, often turning left in front of them.

My zeal for wearing proper helmets goes quite a bit beyond merely myself.

I watched my ex-husband quickly fade away at Seattle's Harborview Trauma ICU in 2004 because he chose to stupidly try "fitting in" to the pseudo-outlaw fashion show style when he bought a HD Fat Boy. He was riding on WA SR-14, a two lane highway, in E. Washington. A car started making a possibly illegal pass. His choices were: 1) Hit the car head-on @ 65mph; or 2) Leave the Road and plow into a side embankment full of ancient volcanic rock. He was in full leathers, but wearing what I derisively call a "tupperware bowl." Fake DOT sticker. About 1/2" inside padding. Zero shock-absorbing liner. Just a hard shell & nothing more. The Neurosurgeon told us his SECONDARY brain injury was a large split in between both frontal lobes. The main injury was a partially crushed brain stem. The afternoon of the 8th day, when his EEG was flat, we pulled the plug. It would've been far more merciful (and instantaneous) if he hadn't worn anything at all.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for your loss, Quicklime. I've lost several good friends to stupid drivers so I can imagine the loss. I'm a firm believer in bright lights and loud pipes, no matter how obnoxious some might find them.

• 3 weeks later...

Best upgrade for ANYONE?

Hands down, the best low cost upgrade is the Progrip Rally 714 grips.👍

Cushioned gel grips that are comfortable, absorb vibration, reduce numbness and are durable, come in multiple colors and for about $10 USD, cheap. The first thing that I do with any Moto that I buy.

They are legend for those who know.

Sold as an MX grip but work great on anything imho. Available online or order locally.

Edited by Spitfire

• 2 weeks later...

The upgrade for my bike that made the biggest difference is a toss-up between my Cyclops bulb and my Akra c.f. pipe. With both the differences were like night and day.

Safety wise, a helmet has to be #1 but it doesn't have to be an expensive helmet to protect your head well or the best. Educate yourself before you spend money on a helmet.

Beemer

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Safety, is a helmet, or dedicated riding pants, I see too many ppl riding in jeans.

For the bike, a 2wdw tune. Even on the stock bike its totally worth it. and free re-flashes if you ever upgrade other stuff.

• Like 1

'16 FZ07

As owner of the website that motivates people to get out there and ride, I feel compelled to always remind people to wear good gear. The best gear you can afford. The gear that protects the best often costs the most.

But expensive gear is cheaper than an emergency room visit. 

Expensive gear is cheaper than a hospital stay, cheaper than cleaning out road rash. Cheaper than emergency brain surgery, facial reconstruction. 

Expensive gear is cheaper than a funeral. 

All of Revzillas on sale on closeout gear is here https://www.revzilla.com/search?_utf8=✓&query=closeout

Some of those expensive helmets, jackets, pants and gloves are 1/2 priced. And all are much more important than loud exhausts and flashy wheels. 

If you have someone in your life that you love, make good gear your first upgrade. I know too many dead guys who would still be alive if they were wearing up to date good gear. 

• Like 3

Great advice.

Good quality gear isn't always expensive. And expensive gear isn't always quality. I have a pair of Dainese riding pants that were almost $400 new ( I bought them used). The knee armor and waterproofing are top shelf, but the hip pads are rubbish and the overall material isn't very strong. In fact, I bet they'd shred if I ever went down at speed. 

On the flip side, I paid $60 for a BILT jacket that many would regard as cheap gear. I've gone down in that jacket at 60mph on pavement and walked away without a scratch on me OR the jacket. Cheap, but very well made jacket. 

I'm super picky about boots, though. I have several dollars invested in just two pair of boots (dirt and street). I bought a pair of SIDI Adventure Rain boots and immediately returned them. Expensive boot that many many consider the top of the food chain, but they were extremely flimsy in my hands. SIDI faithful would laugh at this, but I replaced them with a pair of ICON Elsinores. While the ICON don't look nearly as "technical" as the SIDI's, they are far, far more sturdy. 

Big $$$ doesn't always mean quality. 

• Like 2

ICON is my favorite brand for MC goodies.  I feel they offer top quality gear at middle of the road prices.

The most important factor in your gear is that it fits properly and is comfortable, otherwise you will not wear it.

• 3 weeks later...
intensity_white

nevermind

Edited by intensity_white
meh

• 1 month later...

Im a bit of a brand whore, but i prefer Dianese for my leather.

Not as gaudy as alpine stars or icon 🤮

I just wear my Thorogood work boots, because I cant carry my tools and work boots while i wear some riding boots.

I went down in June and my gear did its job, but my ankle got a little smashed. I think riding boots would have protected my ankle a bit better, but I walked away just fine.

DSbZhgql.jpg

cV21nEql.jpg

B78NRKKl.jpg

A9BJdjdl.jpg

d2BgczFl.jpg

WtUmf9nl.jpg

4qQH74Pl.jpg

CvdYPN2l.jpg

Edited by Carne Seca
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ive started to buy a few loud/dayglo motorcross jerseys to throw over my riding jacket.  I find them on sale usually $20-$30. Helps with drivers seeing you. Just another cheap saftey option.

I wear a medium or large motorcycle jacket with pads of course... And I  get Moto Jerseys in a  2XL size and it works really well!

At moment I buy Troy Lee SE or GP "Air" jerseys sincei live in Hawaii

To get you started!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Motocross+jerseys&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Edited by Kyuzo