The MT-07 Forum

Chain and master link question...

recurveshooter

recurveshooter

..... are any of you running a chain with a bicycle style (spring clip) master link? I believe the original chain has a riveted master link. I'd like to take the chain off to clean it REALLY WELL and then reinstall it. Are the spring type master links strong enough? I ran them on all of my bikes decades ago and some of them (like my Triumph 650) made a fair amount of HP and weighed 400+ lbs. Thanks - C

..... are any of you running a chain with a bicycle style (spring clip) master link? I believe the original chain has a riveted master link. I'd like to take the chain off to clean it REALLY WELL and then reinstall it. Are the spring type master links strong enough? I ran them on all of my bikes decades ago and some of them (like my Triumph 650) made a fair amount of HP and weighed 400+ lbs. Thanks - C
I personally don't anymore but you sure could. The OEM's kinda went away from them for a number of reasons. One being anytime you make something user servicable they will and that's trouble. ? If you're conscientious about getting the clip link back together properly or replaced if neccesary you won't have any problems. The problems come when people try fixing their own Illudium 234 Explosive Space Modulators when they aren't qualified to change grips. I think you can get still get clip-links up to about 530ish chains so strength isn't the problem. Another reason was chains were usually junk by the time anyone decided to take them apart anyway, so. 
P.S. if you're the kind of guy that 'plays with his chain' you should consider buying my Guzzi.

Cheers!

Archived