The MT-07 Forum

Low RPM issue

fzinla

Hello all, I have an FZ-07 with 2,500 miles on the dash. I noticed that in first and second gear, when I am at less than 3,500 RPM or so, I feel some vibration. I do not know how to explain it but it feels like the bike is bogging. The bike is stock with no modifications.Once I pass 3,500 RPM it becomes smooth again. It is not very noticeable. A friend of mine rode my bike and did not notice it at all but I can definitely feel it. I bought the bike used and it has always had this "issue". Does anybody have any idea of what this is?Bike is well maintained and runs great.
Thank you.

AlbatrossCafe

I bet if you open the throttle hard at those RPMs, it will vibrate even harder. This is 100% normal. This happens in just about any engine at low RPMs, but is more prominent in twins. Don't sweat it.

When I open the throttle it still shakes until about 3,500 RPMs. Once above 3,500 I do not feel the shaking anymore.
What is interesting is the "shaking" for a lack of a better word, does seem to be in sync with the exhaust notes. It is really hard to explain but I am sure you are very familiar with the distinct "pounding" or "thumping" sound that the FZ-07's exhaust... well every "thump" goes with the "shake" of the bike.

I really hope it is normal because I really love this bike. Took it out yesterday for a 120 mile journey and it was the best time I have had on a motorcycle. Agile when you need it and with plenty of power to get you moving at very respectable freeway speeds not to mention the massive torque.

I'm betting it's just the normal vibrations the engine produces. Chain could also be too lose or tight? If you could find someone close to you that had an fz07 you could ride a second one and see if it feels any different.

When I open the throttle it still shakes until about 3,500 RPMs. Once above 3,500 I do not feel the shaking anymore. What is interesting is the "shaking" for a lack of a better word, does seem to be in sync with the exhaust notes. It is really hard to explain but I am sure you are very familiar with the distinct "pounding" or "thumping" sound that the FZ-07's exhaust... well every "thump" goes with the "shake" of the bike.

I really hope it is normal because I really love this bike. Took it out yesterday for a 120 mile journey and it was the best time I have had on a motorcycle. Agile when you need it and with plenty of power to get you moving at very respectable freeway speeds not to mention the massive torque.

Its a twin cylinder thing. nothing to worry about. Keep revs higher

It's more a character of the bike than an issue and it's not going to hurt anything. Have a coke! :D

Beemer

I will be better if the fuelling is correct ( ie reflashed or fuel controller of some sort). As stated all motors labour at rpm below where they are designed to run but the fuelling makes a difference, especially on EFI motors.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I will be better if the fuelling is correct ( ie reflashed or fuel controller of some sort). As stated all motors labour at rpm below where they are designed to run but the fuelling makes a difference, especially on EFI motors.
I have absolutely no idea what all of that means!Forgive my ignorance but what is it that I have to do/check? The bike is stock BTW. 

You don't have to DO anything, if you are fine with it.
All motors "labour" ( shudder, surge etc) when below design rpm for the speed the vehicle is doing. It's a function of reciprocating motors.
Read the threads on reflashing and fuel controllers and you will come to understand. This forum has a wealth of information on the fuelling subject. Problems and solutions.
At a glance the stock motor is poorly fueled and controlled , including at low RPM.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Does anyone know how many inches we are away from the vibrating engine??? O_o
Trying to sell the bike to girls I see...  (rofl)

Does anyone know how many inches we are away from the vibrating engine??? O_o
Trying to sell the bike to girls I see...  (rofl)
Ha! Girls in the know go with H.D. or Whirlpool for that. ;) 

Beemer

Yeah, the FZ likes to cruise at 3k rpm or higher, and accelerate at 3.5k or higher.

I think it's the restrictive exhaust.
If you open up the exhaust, it'll most likely run fine at 2k rpm, and acceleration at 2.5k rpm.

Unlike most cars, it has a high rev engine, so you'll have to get used to riding it in the higher revs.
Try to keep the needle around 4k rpm when accelerating often, or at 6 if you need to accelerate fast.
It might mean you'd have to downshift a gear or two.
The vibrations aren't catastrophic, but are not healthy for the engine in the long run.

Archived