The MT-07 Forum

Moto Guzzi fans????

danfz07

Been looking to get a nice two-up bike to take on long rides and my desire to do something different has gotten me looking at the Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring.  I really think it may be the best looking bike out there.  Now I dont really have any experience with a guzzi.  I know ducati's used to have their issues but that is much better now.  I have had some experience with Italian motors with a 1978 Fiat 124 that made me contemplate eating a bullet at times.  Does anyone have any current experience with the Guzzi's reliability and servicing?

Thanks
Dan 

Been looking to get a nice two-up bike to take on long rides and my desire to do something different has gotten me looking at the Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring.  I really think it may be the best looking bike out there.  Now I dont really have any experience with a guzzi.  I know ducati's used to have their issues but that is much better now.  I have had some experience with Italian motors with a 1978 Fiat 124 that made me contemplate eating a bullet at times.  Does anyone have any current experience with the Guzzi's reliability and servicing?  
Thanks
Dan 

No worries. Buy her up and enjoy. Modern Guzzi's (pronounced Gute-zee) are as reliable and user friendly as any other modern choice. It is a storied brand and is the oldest European manufacturer in continuous production.  They are (used to be more so) quirky in some respects but it only adds to the owner experience, especially if you are a hands on guy that enjoys interacting with machines. They typically blend technology with an emphasis on nostalgia. They all have unique character and tend to develop their own personality with use. Not as many dealers as some other brands so weigh that before purchase. The motors are locomotive in power delivery and longevity, great for the type of riding you mention. I have owned and riden almost everything imaginable for 500,000 miles/50 years and these remain a favorite. Guzzi owners clubs are also second to none if that's your ticket.  

recurveshooter

I second the above comment. They aren't scorcher's but they do everything nicely. And for a guy who wants to work on the bike himself they are cake. The valves aren't shimmed, you take off the cover and just adjust them! Most everything is easily accessible. NO CHAIN! I bought my FZ because there is a Yamaha dealer here in town. The nearest Guzzi dealers were an hour or more away.... but I find the 750 V7 is a mighty tempting bike. Do it, life is short! - C

p.s. - I had a '77 124 Spyder also. Neat cars.

Well you guys are not helping me NOT spend another 20k on a bike. LOL I really think they may be the best looking bike ever, the California Tour at least. Love my little FZ "modern cafe racer" that I have, and I will not be getting rid of her. She is may daily commuter/makes me feel young again bike. But lets just say 40 something and kids starting to leave soon makes me want to have something me and the lady can take on some long rides. The closest Guzzi dealer is bout 5 to 6 hrs away so I really don't want to have to run back and forth for service. Always did that myself but not sure how much I can do on an Italian bike. May have to clean out some room in the garage i think

Well you guys are not helping me NOT spend another 20k on a bike. LOL I really think they may be the best looking bike ever, the California Tour at least. Love my little FZ "modern cafe racer" that I have, and I will not be getting rid of her. She is may daily commuter/makes me feel young again bike. But lets just say 40 something and kids starting to leave soon makes me want to have something me and the lady can take on some long rides. The closest Guzzi dealer is bout 5 to 6 hrs away so I really don't want to have to run back and forth for service. Always did that myself but not sure how much I can do on an Italian bike. May have to clean out some room in the garage i think
Well, I can save you $15,500 if you scroll down in the 'bike's for sale' thread.  Not a cruiser but a ton o fun none the less. It ended up in my stable through the exact same circumstance you describe. I'm retired, have 9 bikes and race so something has to go. ? 
Seriously tho you can do all the routine maint. stuff yourself, if you can work on a Craftsman tractor you can work on a Guzzi.  

Archived