The MT-07 Forum

Jerky throttle?

level41

I've noticed my FZ has a bit of a jerky throttle; like people mentioned.
It has about the same torque at 2-3k rpm, as my CBR had at 6-7k rpm, and gets really fast to it.

I notice, when I accelerate most other bikes I've owned, I had to twist the throttle ten to twenty degrees, to get normal to good acceleration.
The FZ, I need to twist 1-5 degrees. That's a big difference.
A small millimeter adjustment in the wrist results in the bike jerking forward.
Not an issue when I'm riding myself, because I know what and when the bike will respond to my wrist,
But my passenger doesn't know.

So, I'd like to know what my options are to make the bike responding softer, without paying a whole lot of money to a new fuel controller?

I have thought of:
1- Change sprockets (front +1t, rear 0 to -6t). (cost: $20 front sprocket, $40 rear).

2- Drill a hole in the exhaust, to make it sound better, but also to make it ride a bit leaner, as I won't be adjusting or changing the fuel controller, and won't take it out at top speed, so overheating from running lean, won't be an issue. (cost: $10 for a long drill, to reach the chamber from the exhaust. I have the machine already).

3- Adjust the stock fuel controller? Anyone done that, or knows how to? (like eg: solder a resistor in the fuel injector feeding line, for it to open slower? Is it even possible?)

4- Play with any internal sensors, like O2 sensor, cylinder temp sensor (if it has any?)

Tech expertise is appreciated!

• Premium Member

Find a smaller diameter cam design for your throttle tube...which would require you to turn your wrist more... a quick throttle is the opposite with a bigger cam wheel..other than an ECU reflash is your best bet...

As for idea [HASH]3 adding a resistor to the fuel injection is not recommended, you can adjust the stock ECU settings with the appropriate home bench flashing kit from like FlashTune for example or use a fuel tuner such as Powercommander, EJK to do some simple adjustsments to the fueling...

Check your chain slack... if you got it tight it will amplify the touchy throttle in my experience

the touchy throttle is mainly do the fuel table Yamaha set up, when you let off the gas fast enough it actually cuts off the fuel pretty much completely which gives the FZ-07 the aggressive engine braking behavior by turning the motor into a big air brake, with a Reflash or using a home bench flashing kit you can turn the " decel fueling " back on which will still provide a bit of fuel when you let off the gas to really reduce the engine braking behavior... all of that to get eekk out maybe 1.2 MPG ?

Proper suspension will help settle the chassis...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I highly recommend the 2wdw flash, it's butter smooth compared to stock and throttle response is much more linear. I know it's a more expensive option but it's worth every penny.

Xeon

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

Yeah, suspension up front is a bit soft for riding with 2.
The rear one got my girl almost flying when we hit a railroad crossing a bit faster than we should have.
But the rear suspension adjustment is hard as a rock, and the tool they provide to change the suspension, is not gripping well in the teeth... I can't seem to adjust it.

The chain slack is within parameters (~1.25-1.5 in).

And I'm not about to pay $400 for hardware that will just edit those fuel parameters.

I'm definitely doing 1.
I might be interested in seeing if I can find a smaller diameter cam design for the throttle tube

I've noticed my FZ has a bit of a jerky throttle; like people mentioned. It has about the same torque at 2-3k rpm, as my CBR had at 6-7k rpm, and gets really fast to it.

I notice, when I accelerate most other bikes I've owned, I had to twist the throttle ten to twenty degrees, to get normal to good acceleration.
The FZ, I need to twist 1-5 degrees. That's a big difference.
A small millimeter adjustment in the wrist results in the bike jerking forward.
Not an issue when I'm riding myself, because I know what and when the bike will respond to my wrist,
But my passenger doesn't know.

So, I'd like to know what my options are to make the bike responding softer, without paying a whole lot of money to a new fuel controller?

I have thought of:
1- Change sprockets (front +1t, rear 0 to -6t). (cost: $20 front sprocket, $40 rear).

2- Drill a hole in the exhaust, to make it sound better, but also to make it ride a bit leaner, as I won't be adjusting or changing the fuel controller, and won't take it out at top speed, so overheating from running lean, won't be an issue. (cost: $10 for a long drill, to reach the chamber from the exhaust. I have the machine already).

3- Adjust the stock fuel controller? Anyone done that, or knows how to? (like eg: solder a resistor in the fuel injector feeding line, for it to open slower? Is it even possible?)

4- Play with any internal sensors, like O2 sensor, cylinder temp sensor (if it has any?)

Tech expertise is appreciated!

ECU flash should help smooth out the entire range, including the jerky off-on throttle the FZ inhibits. its $$$ but everyone who has it says it's well worth it

http://fz07.org/board/54/wheel-dynoworks-mail-ecu-flashing

The 2wdw flash changes a lot more than just fuel trims, which is why it's more valuable than a simple FC. I've had run both a PCV and the flash, they have a very different feel, hence why I recommend the flash for your particular situation. I understand that cost is an issue, but for what it's worth, if you ask around, everyone is very happy with the flash.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

Guys, I don't think he wants to spend 300 bucks on anything like that especially when it will most likely sacrifice some of his MPG (don't kid yourselves folks, getting that reflash will drop your MPG).

I just looked at your posting history TC, most notably your "FZ-04?" topic. TBH I think you bought the wrong motorcycle. Maybe a CB500F would've been more your speed. On average, 6 more MPG according to Fuelly.com and you could tweak it even further for your ecoriding habits and tendencies. The medium balance you are looking for is around 500cc. But to be even more honest, you probably should stick to 250-300cc range I'm sorry to say.

Changing inherent ticks and habits and notions is very hard for people.  You need to change your preconceived parameters you have placed upon yourself to ride and enjoy the FZ07.  You need to fully realize this.  So its up to you, throw away everything you have solidly placed in your mind and enjoy the FZ07 for what it is or continue to waste your time and energy trying to make the FZ07 what it clearly isn't.  IDK, good luck on whatever you are trying to achieve overall.

What is this jerky trottle you speak of? unless the fz differs from the mt I find the bike as smooth as a 600r.

I think you just need time/experience/acclimation to the throttle. You are comparing or using muscle memory based on your previous bike. Give it time and your body will adapt.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Just never close the throttle completely.

I realised that it was a problem for me when we're 2 on the bike. If I close the throttle all the way and try to accelerate after, it always feels weird. In think the transition between the engine braking and the acceleration is not smooth enough.

But an ecu reflash should remove these symptoms i guess

I second, third, and fourth recommend the 2wheeldynoworks ECU flash. My MGP dropped from 52 to 50. For what you gain from the flash it is worth the loss. IMO. I hated the fuel cut off on deceleration. The flash took care of that.

Another recommendation is to wrap your hand grips in tennis racquet grips. This will increase the diameter of the hand grips causing you to have to roll on the throttle more. It makes acceleration a little more smoother.

+1 on the 2WDW ECU flash. Made the bike run a lot smoother especially going from off throttle to on. The MPG drop is negligible.

I think you just need time/experience/acclimation to the throttle. You are comparing or using muscle memory based on your previous bike. Give it time and your body will adapt.
I was thinking the same. Not an issue when I'm on the bike alone, just my passenger. 
Trying to find a way to have her not bounce her helmet on my back every time I shift.

Yea I have the same problem when I have my son on the back. I just use the clutch more and try to anticipate stopping farther back.

Smooth throttle control has helped me the most. My dad's bike is a jerky bastard in any gear
I've learned just simply rolling off smoothly and it doesn't jerk. But i got the bike preowned and not sure if the Ecu flash was already done

He's talking about acceleration when he gives it throttle, not engine braking. You can adjust your throttle input if you have to. A little practice goes a long way. If the throttle is mostly a problem when you take off from a stop you can also practice slipping the clutch for a smoother start also. Since you seem to be unwilling to spend much money I recommend throttle and clutch control. You can do it, level42 and the pain in your [HASH]2 will go away.  ;)

Beemer

He's talking about acceleration when he gives it throttle, not engine braking.;)
Actually, he mentioned the passenger's helmet banging him in the back - that's abrupt decel.  Exquisite timing with the clutch can smooth that out with every shift, but the ECU flash makes us all seem like more skilled riders..

He's talking about acceleration when he gives it throttle, not engine braking.;)
Actually, he mentioned the passenger's helmet banging him in the back - that's abrupt decel.  Exquisite timing with the clutch can smooth that out with every shift, but the ECU flash makes us all seem like more skilled riders..

It's a combination of both.
She tries to keep her head straight, while I accelerate, and when I shift, it almost feels like we're braking.

Put a 17t front sprocket on, and it does miracles! Smooth shifting all the way.
No accidental wheelie in 2nd Gear possible anymore. I feel much more confident in the bike's performance, even in wet weather!

It's a combination of both.
She tries to keep her head straight, while I accelerate, and when I shift, it almost feels like we're braking.

No accidental wheelie in 2nd Gear possible anymore. I feel much more confident in the bike's performance, even in wet weather!
How the hell are you able to accidentally wheelie in second gear? are you using the trottle like you were on a 50 cc scooter?

I believe we're talking about two different things. Someone mentioned engine braking and I didn't think that was the problem here. If you have harsh engine braking it will decel hard when you let off the gas at high rpm every time but the whip-lash effect you get on any bike from improper shifting is controllable as you mentioned. That's why I said he's not talking about engine braking. We cool now. 

Beemer

It's a combination of both. She tries to keep her head straight, while I accelerate, and when I shift, it almost feels like we're braking.

How the hell are you able to accidentally wheelie in second gear? are you using the trottle like you were on a 50 cc scooter?
I agree. If you're knowingly giving this bike a lot of throttle and knowingly banging into 2nd a wheelie is no accident and you should've known a wheelie happening was a good possibility. Is this the main reason for the head banging, I wonder??? Anyway, stop blaming the bike. 

Beemer

I agree. If you're knowingly giving this bike a lot of throttle and knowingly banging into 2nd a wheelie is no accident and you should've known a wheelie happening was a good possibility. Is this the main reason for the head banging, I wonder??? Anyway, stop blaming the bike.
No one is blaming the bike. And I'm using the throttle in matters of degrees, not tens of degrees, like on my 250/300/500cc bikes.

And I'm really not wheeling with precious cargo behind me. I try to ride very careful.

Yeah, you really can't roll that throttle the way you do a 250cc small engine. You WOT small bikes all day long. You cannot do that on the FZ07 as you have learned. Change your throttle input mindset and you should be good.

Archived