The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 or FZ-09

highflyer

Hey everyone,

I am looking to get a new bike this year, I'm considering both the 2017 FZ-07 ABS and the 2017 FZ-09, and I'd like your feedback.

I'm 45, 145 lbs, 5'11", and I've been riding on and off for most of my life (Honda Trail 70, Suzuki GS450L, BMW F650, Honda CBR250RA, Honda CRF50F pitbike). I'm a conservative, intermediate to advanced street rider.

My primary current bike is the CBR250RA. Most of my riding is local, and I love to flog it, riding the slow bike fast. I've also taken multiple 3000 mile trips on it without issue (I've made a few sport touring mods). Future riding looks similar. In a year, I may ride a total of 6-7k miles:

- 2500 miles locally
- 1500 miles regionally (5 or so overnight trips)
- 2000-3000 miles nationally (1 long trip)

Whatever bike I choose, I will put on a windscreen and probably some pannier racks.

Being more flogable like my CBR, the FZ-07 is appealing. It's not a bike I would outgrow. Better range. Better looks.

The FZ-09 is a beast, and I'd be using a far less of it's potential almost all the time. Slipper clutch, ride-by-wire and traction control are nice. Better suspension. Though the headlight structure makes it look like your riding WALL-E around.

Which bike should I get?

I don't know, the new Street Triple looks pretty damn good, I would certainly do that over an FZ-09 but I really don't like the looks of the 09. But if you want to save some money the FZ-07 is a great bike that could really just use suspension upgrades.

There's a really cool Moto Guzzi LeMans for sale in that section for the mature, raucous, sporttour, canyon strafer....?

bigdaddybane

Have you checked FJ-09? Great tourer, good suspension, better wind protection, ABS, traction control and same power as FZ-09 ...

• Premium Member

I don't see how anyone could make a suggestion for you given the personal nature of such a choice--unless they know you a WHOLE LOT better than I suspect any Forum member does.

I think it best you sit down with the specs and compare features, weight, power, etc. Only YOU can decide how these all fit together into your own "use-equation." I cannot see how this could be exactly the same for any two people. Most seem to consider a bike decision pretty personal.

You mention that several unique features of the 09 would be nice, but do you really CARE about them? If so, this should help you decide pretty conclusively. Also, you are not the biggest guy and I'd guess the 07 power would be adequate but would it be??? Only you can decide that, too. This all presupposes that you have been to a dealer and actually sat on both or ridden them. If all you can do is sit on them, from what I hear from those who have with both, each "feels" different. You didn't mention price so I'm thinking, the same as for me were I in your shoes, it wouldn't be a deciding factor one way or the other. However, since I'm almost the same size as you (an inch taller), for me the light weight of the 07 was important.

So, "try" both back-to-back and compare specs. Then, decide for yourself... AND, ENJOY the hell out of whichever you pick!!! And, no matter which, tell yourself it was the best for you and move on... and on... and on... :-)

The new FZ-09 looks pretty awesome IMO, but you will never know which one you like better without trying them out at a demo ride or something.

As @avanti has said, everyone is different. And it will ultimately be a personal choice.

Looking at your motorcycle background, the FZ09 can easily be ridden but it definitely is overkill.

The FZ07 will be infinitely more rideable in all aspects. Just too damn easy to ride. No effort. Like you can basically ride it on autopilot. There will never be a situation that will feel hairy (as far as power goes). I think at your weight the rear suspension is good enough (although the front forks will still suck). Unless you intend to ride aggressive (super twisties fast and track days).

The FZ09 is definitely more fun but I can ride either or all day long. If I were to choose, and if I were to be very practical, I'd go FZ07 for a few reasons. 1) I've never been on the FZ07 and encountered a situation where I thought to myself: I need more power or torque. 2) MPG. 3) Very little effort to ride. You can ride with nothing but instincts turned on and you'll be fine (this is obviously after you are familiar with the bike). 4) saves you money in the short term and long run.

Like I said, FZ09 is more fun and a blast bar none, hands down, no contest. But it is impractical. And unnecessary. If all you care about is having fun, nothing but fun, go FZ09. FZ07 is fun too, don't get me wrong- but if you ride both, you'll understand what I am saying, the FZ09 will crush any fun out of the FZ07. If FZ07 is all you have and you never touch the FZ09, the FZ07 is fun. But the FZ07 will do everything else better.  If you were to own both, the FZ09 would make absolutely no sense because the only reason you would ride it is just to have fun on it and nothing else.

Anyway, try to test or ride both if at all possible and good luck.

If picking the FZ09, I recommend the XSR900 unless "nuvo-classic" isn't your thing. Best of the sisters, IMO.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I like the new Fz09. Both are great bikes. I guess it comes down to budget, insurance, and operating costs. The 09 will certainly cost more over time.

It all depends on how you ride, where you ride, and who you ride with. If you're riding with a bunch of supersports, have roads you can speed on, then go 09. Otherwise the 07 is a great do everything bike and will hold its own in the twisties.

• Premium Member

I have both the FZ-07 and the FJ-09...the FJ has the top speed to run with sport bikes with ease, its far more comfy, tad more nimble and less taxing to ride long distances...i mainly use the -07 as my DD when its warm out and the FJ for the weekend cruises, icky weather and riding 2up... I feel the FZ is quicker to 1/8 mile then the FJ just keeps going...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Hey everyone, 
I am looking to get a new bike this year, I'm considering both the 2017 FZ-07 ABS and the 2017 FZ-09, and I'd like your feedback.

I'm 45, 145 lbs, 5'11", and I've been riding on and off for most of my life (Honda Trail 70, Suzuki GS450L, BMW F650, Honda CBR250RA, Honda CRF50F pitbike). I'm a conservative, intermediate to advanced street rider.

My primary current bike is the CBR250RA. Most of my riding is local, and I love to flog it, riding the slow bike fast. I've also taken multiple 3000 mile trips on it without issue (I've made a few sport touring mods). Future riding looks similar. In a year, I may ride a total of 6-7k miles:

- 2500 miles locally

Whatever bike I choose, I will put on a windscreen and probably some pannier racks.

Being more flogable like my CBR, the FZ-07 is appealing. It's not a bike I would outgrow. Better range. Better looks.

The FZ-09 is a beast, and I'd be using a far less of it's potential almost all the time. Slipper clutch, ride-by-wire and traction control are nice. Better suspension. Though the headlight structure makes it look like your riding WALL-E around.

Which bike should I get?

Since you asked, I'd buy the FZ-07 because that's what I chose.

I test rode both bikes (both were 2015 models) about an hour apart from each other.
I was ready to purchase the bike I preferred after the test ride.
I chose the FZ-07 by a country mile because it was more fun to ride.
The only advantage the FZ-09 had was more horsepower.
It didn't feel more fun to ride.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback - it's much appreciated. I will hopefully test ride both bikes in the next month or two (depending on how real spring is here in the Northeast this year), and I'll post when I pull the trigger and get a few miles on whatever I choose.

• Premium Member

Yep FJ-09 sounds like the bike for you or something similar. The FZ-07 or 09 can be made in to a touring bike but why not get one already set up for it.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

And plus quite a few warm weather places FJ-09 owners are ditching the stock handguards and putting FZ-09 bar ends on, some ditch the windshield... I choose the FJ-09 over the FZ-09 becuase the FJ fixed a lot of the common flaws with the FZ, namely suspension, fuel tank size, ECU fuel mapping, a bit wider rear subframe to accommodate 2up and cargo bags and more protection from the elements...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

pineappleunderthesea

Just go for the FZ-10 and feel the powaaaah!
But seriously, I chose the FZ-07 over the FZ-09 because a wanted a nice daily rider that had some balls for weekend riding, and the FZ-09 was overkill for those needs.

Hey everyone, 

- 2500 miles locally

Which bike should I get?
I also came from a cbr250, my wife got tired of riding so I wanted some power again.  The FZ07 is easy to ride. The range and mpg were the same for me on both bike, 55mpg, I am 6'1" and about 230 geared up.  From what I have heard the 09 doesn't get but about 35+ mpg but no where near as good as the 07.  The fz07 was nice and easy to ride, much like the weebee was. I am sure you won't be disappointed with either. I would check out craigslist and see how many of each are for sale in your area, tends to be a good indication.  There are only 2 07's for sale near me and 4 09's.  Not a huge difference but it might be different in your area, and the 07's seems to be holding their prices a little better.

I am a female rider, age 60, 5'9" and started riding about 1 year ago when I retired from teaching. I started on the FZ-07 (after taking the MSF course). Love it....but guess what. I just purchased the 2017 FZ-09 a couple days ago. Oh-my-gosh! What a bike. I am in love!! Got the Intensity White and am modding it up already. I was going to keep the FZ-07 for kicks but I just don't know how much I'd ride it. So, I'm selling the 07, and that is how much I love the 09. 

Alex

I am a female rider, age 60, 5'9" and started riding about 1 year ago when I retired from teaching. I started on the FZ-07 (after taking the MSF course). Love it....but guess what. I just purchased the 2017 FZ-09 a couple days ago. Oh-my-gosh! What a bike. I am in love!! Got the Intensity White and am modding it up already. I was going to keep the FZ-07 for kicks but I just don't know how much I'd ride it. So, I'm selling the 07, and that is how much I love the 09. 

@amencorner...Enjoy your YouTube vids...keep em coming.

I had a friend tell me recently that the next time he visited he was going to make a dish with zucchini that I would love. He was adamant and excited about it but I told him not to because I hated zucchini. He said, "not this zucchini dish, I do this to it and that to it." I told him again I hated zucchini, no matter how he prepared it. He finally understood.

I recommend you take a ride on those two bikes and decide for yourself what dish you like. ;)

Beemer

bigdaddybane
I've seen your FZ09 on YT ... congrats!

Archived