The MT-07 Forum

Front Signal LED Wiring

pj311

Hi Guys,

I have a 2016 FZ 07 with DRL's here in Canada. Ive upgraded my rear signals to LED with no issue and am looking at doing the fronts now, here is my problem;
Stock wire is blue, brown, and beige.
I have purchased Yamaha turn signal harness from here it has a red yellow and black wire, this plugs directly into the bikes wiring harness.
I then have the Blinker Genie from here which has a red white and black on one end and a yellow on the other.
Finally is the LED which is a 2 wire yellow and black.

So does anybody have this same setup or know the bikes wiring well enough to tell me how to connect the signal harness, to the blinker genie, to the led?

Thanks

ducttapewd40

I don't know how the signal harnesses are going to be oriented when you plug them in, so just make sure to look at the wire on the opposite end of the harness on the bike's wiring that you are plugging it into.

One the stock wiring: black is ground, tan is daytime running. On the right side, green is your blinker. On the left, brown is blinker.

Ground will go to the genie and either side of the lamp.

Tan will go to red on the genie.

On the right side, green will go to white on the genie. On the left, brown will go to white on the genie.

ducttapewd40

Oops. Also the yellow on the genie to the other side of the lamp.

The page you have a link to for the genie has an "installation" tab which shows a good diagram for the wiring.

Thanks much, so I need to splice into the black (ground) before the genie and run a separate black wire from that to the bulb correct?

ducttapewd40
Thanks much, so I need to splice into the black (ground) before the genie and run a separate black wire from that to the bulb correct?
Yes.  I'd probably just twist the two leads from the genie and the lamp together, then connect them to the ground from the bike. 
I was wrong earlier when I said to connect to either side of the lamp.  Polarity matters on leds.  Make sure yellow on the genie goes to yellow on the lamp and splice the blacks all together.

• Global Moderator

Make sure the LED turn signals you get are okay to be on continuously. One guy posted a photo of his melted turn signal a while back.

Perhaps I'm too late with the reply, but my old LEDs had the same wiring setup:

LED with yellow and black.
Blinker Genies: Yellow and red/white/black
OEM harness from MD: Red/White/Black

The black wires (ground) from all 3 components were all soldered together.

This is how it looks, you should be able to make it out:

IMG_0026.jpg

Anyway, I ran those for about 3k miles before I removed them (reverted back to stock).  If you are wondering why I reverted back, because my wife also now rides the FZ07 (I have 3 bikes total) and I anticipated her dropping the FZ07 (she hasn't yet) so I put back stock blinkers.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived