The MT-07 Forum

Crush washers

liami

I want to get a pack of crush washers just to have them for future oil changes. Apparently it's hard to find what I'm looking for. What size crush washers would I get?

1/2" or 13mm crush washers from any parts store work great. You can get a large pack for around 4$ at most parts stores. They usually have them in aluminum (like stock), or copper.

Noob question here: What are crush washers used for when changing the oil? I've changed my own oil on my cars countless times but never used a crush washer.

• Global Moderator
Noob question here: What are crush washers used for when changing the oil? I've changed my own oil on my cars countless times but never used a crush washer.
Crush washers just help to ensure you do not have an oil leak after an oil change.  The washer that is on when you take out the oil drain plug was crushed when it was first first installed.  I always use a new crush washer when I change the oil in my car or bike.

Crush washers just help to ensure you do not have an oil leak after an oil change.  The washer that is on when you take out the oil drain plug was crushed when it was first first installed.  I always use a new crush washer when I change the oil in my car or bike.
So even if the car did not come with a crush washer on the oil drain plug you add one?

• Global Moderator

@mugen, I have always had crush washers on my cars. You are almost certainly fine reusing the washer that has already been crushed, but it is cheap insurance. The worst that would happen is you would have a very slow leak that you would notice before any damage was done.

So even if the car did not come with a crush washer on the oil drain plug you add one?

Any car I've done an oil change on either has a crush washer or a rubber seal on the face of the flat surface.

• Premium Member

IF the plug came with them it is cheap insurance to use a new one for each oil-change, but in reality doing so is usually unnecessary. In a pinch you can reuse and old one and check to be sure it's not leaking, but my suspicion is you will find it's not... even after a number of reuses.

MANY vehicles do not (or, did not) specify a new washer each change and never leak(ed), and in fact it was not until I bought a new 1982 Honda Accord that I encountered "sacrificial crush washers" on drain plugs. I still have a bunch of used ones from the Honda out in the shop somewhere, hehehe!

I rarely change a crush washer. Never had an issue or leak. I do check the oil drains and filters regularly for leaks.
I rode a brand new bike home. Stopped along the way for a bit only to find a puddle of oil under the bike. They had not tightened the drain and it had backed out half way.

Archived