The MT-07 Forum

vinyl wrapped tank

danfz07

Wondering if anyone has wrapped any of their bike.  I have been considering either a wrapping or dipping some of it.  If so, what are your thoughts on the durability of it?  How much did it cost and where did you get it done.  I kind of live in the middle of nowhere so I would have to send it in to be done. 

Thanks
Dan

chademinent

I used a spray on wrap, like plastidip but way more durable. Looks like OEM paint but can be removed. Its called Autoflex Coatings and can be done an any color imaginable. Check out my build page and message me with any questions. http://fz07.org/thread/5796/hulagn-2015-fz07-build?page=4

I vinyl wrapped my own bike myself. Every plastic except for the black "carbon" looking parts (like the intakes and front fender). I vinyl wrapped it all clear because I love the original color, just want protection. It was great, super protective...but I didn't do the greatest job and had lots of air bubbles. So I pulled it off recently, planning on redoing it. Never got around to it so I just run stock plastics except my tail. That's all vinyl wrapped carbon fiber and I love it. Do it yourself but take your time to get it all right when you do. It's protective enough. When I got rear ended, my vinyl got ripped up in the back but I don't think it actually touched my plastics at all

I also started wrapping the middle strip under the tank protector with a matching blue but never got to the bottom part...474779ef69b7698fc92c9fab3164e003.jpg21ec2f9a7ed0d4ee42e2c7eebd81a557.jpg727cdd22005cdb6d537c6ad2d1fdd8a1.jpgffba4ddf97d8f6a1664003a6b1d0c226.jpg

Thanks man. I didn't really take my time for the carbon fiber wrap, so it has plenty of flaws. My only advice is take your time to make it perfect the first try. There are a lot of lines and curves to this particular bike, be patient and work in the harder areas first

I vinyl wrapped my own bike myself. Every plastic except for the black "carbon" looking parts (like the intakes and front fender). I vinyl wrapped it all clear because I love the original color, just want protection. It was great, super protective...but I didn't do the greatest job and had lots of air bubbles. So I pulled it off recently, planning on redoing it. Never got around to it so I just run stock plastics except my tail. That's all vinyl wrapped carbon fiber and I love it. Do it yourself but take your time to get it all right when you do. It's protective enough. When I got rear ended, my vinyl got ripped up in the back but I don't think it actually touched my plastics at all
Those pics look great!  Where did you get the wraps?  Do you have any other advice other than "take your time"?  lol   
Thanks for sharing 

Dan

3M 1080 CF12 BLACK CARBON FIBER 60"x12" Vinyl Flex Wrap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058DIDTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6p3TybGP3TRCQ

This is the carbon fiber wrap I used. A roll of 5'x1' is perfect for each fairing on the bike. If it was 6'x1', you might be able to get both sides in each piece of vinyl wrap. Other tips...take the fairings off the bike, it makes a big difference than wrapping it while on the bike. Use a heat gun and enough heat to make the wrap pliable, but not so hot that it'll melt. Watch a lot of videos on vinyl wrapping for the general idea. Start from middle of vinyl wrap, rub outwards for application. If I think of more helpful tips, I'll post them

• 2 weeks later...
outdoorfunguy01
Wondering if anyone has wrapped any of their bike.  I have been considering either a wrapping or dipping some of it.  If so, what are your thoughts on the durability of it?  How much did it cost and where did you get it done.  I kind of live in the middle of nowhere so I would have to send it in to be done.   
Thanks
Dan

I suggest you visit gatorwraps. Professionals there will be able to address all your concerns plus you can request a quote. They have branches and installers located in just about every large city.

14666209_615314981985419_9117796793880190840_n.jpg?oh=89e83cddbc219ba701e75fcfe1346994&oe=596D18C0

This is my girl, done in a local shop in Greece. The pattern was custom printed for my bike after I told them what I had in mind. According to the owner of the shop this was one of the easiest full projects he's done on a bike, because it's just 5 rather small pieces of plastic. I can see it being done by anyone, I chose to go to a shop because I wanted a custom design.

It's been over four months now and I don't see any degradation. I'm not planning on keeping it on for ever anyway, probably keep it for a year or so and then do something different. The cost was 200€(~210$). 

More pics on the shop's fb page here.

^^^
That looks awesome. Love digital camo, and a greek member?! even more awesome lol

'16 FZ-07 Matte Silver/Blurple
Instagram:Mintsopoulos

Archived