The MT-07 Forum

Another FZ-07R is on the way.

pdt155

Hey everyone, just bought a wrecked FZ-07 to turn into a race bike!  I have a couple questions for those of you that have already started or finished the builds.  I am planning on going superbike with it, so light engine mods eventually and an R6 front end.  What is the best setup so far for rear end?  I was planning on doing an AP Moto Arts shock link and a shock, but looking for opinions.  Also any tricks or tips would be appreciated.  

The one I got appears to have had a front end incident and there is a small dent in the frame tube/radiator and some small damage to the steering stop.  Also it looks like the rear subframe is pushed over a bit.  None of it looks like anything too serious, so I am planning on running the frame as-is.  Down the road I can always pick up another frame for it as they are so cheap.

As it was coming off the transport
20170224_160156.jpg

Picture of the small dent in the frame tube (you can see a slight distortion in the sticker) and the radiator dent.  Holds fluid fine up to temp
20170224_173221.jpg

The bike came with the front tire popped off the bead, gotta take the wheels off and check straightness, but they did apparently go to Will's rim repair before I got the bike.
20170224_173433.jpg

Picture of the steering stop damage.  Definitely looks like a new front end was on this thing before it came to me.  Everything looks straight though.

free image hosting

20170227_195910.jpg

image host

Well enough of the meh parts, here she is stripped naked and running in the driveway.  Took the light off tonight as well.  Time to start ordering parts!
20170224_173817_005.jpg

All issues appear to be non issues. The only thing that would concern me is the rear end, not so much the subframe but if it is bent (which realy don't matter) what, if anything, else might have been compromised due to the bendage. Check her hind end over carefully when you get it apart around the shock mounts, linkage, swingarm pivot, motor mounts etc. Look for cracked paint that might indicate a substantial torsional force was applied.

Anyway congratulations and welcome. 
Build-n-beat it!

Thanks! Yeah I gave it a thorough look-over and can't seem to find any other big issues anywhere. Probably going to tear it down more during the build but I'll keep it in mind.

As far as the rear suspension, pick something you like that is supported/serviced localy by a trackside vendor or local shop. You'll both be happier down the road. There are many outstanding options for shocks at differing price points. If you go superbike you might consider an R6 rear wheel conversion, especially if you are doing an R6 front. AP does a reasonable kit and it would give you r6 wheels on both ends, lighter, cheaper etc.

The link is nice but not absolutely neccesary. Some guys are racing w/o one but most change to it as it corrects the stroke ratio while adding ride height and sharpening the steering (there is no downside). 

Cheers

• Premium Member

I'll be watching this thread.

For what it's worth, the rear link increases rear anti-squat as well, because the rear is lifted higher increasing the swingarm angle.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Yeah that makes sense, the link is cheap enough that I may as well since there is no downside. I am planning on probably doing an R6 rear wheel, but may hold off until funds are more settled. I am in the DC/Virginia/Maryland area, I believe Ktech has a strong following around here, and I think that is the shock that Andy at AP Moto Arts reccomends.

As far as exhaust goes, has anyone tried any of the cheaper options for full exhaust like danmoto and black widow? I assume they aren't as nice and you get what you pay for, but for a 50% reduction in price I'm willing to live with 1 or so hp less.

Any forum vendors have better prices on exhaust? The Yoshi seems to be $629 everywhere I look for the full system

Oh that would be great! Do you have a cheapish solution for the front end? I'm debating whether I want to go with R6 front end or stock. I heard with an R6 front end the triples fix the trail issue.

Oh that would be great! Do you have a cheapish solution for the front end? I'm debating whether I want to go with R6 front end or stock. I heard with an R6 front end the triples fix the trail issue.
Go see Pattonme he's got you covered. 

Well, got the bodywork kit, rear link, rearset plates, and shock on the way. Now the impatient waiting begins!

Has anyone got any preferences/deals on rearsets?

Well, got the bodywork kit, rear link, rearset plates, and shock on the way. Now the impatient waiting begins! 
If you are of a mind to, any of the name brands are top notch. They are all spendy tho. As for the fleabay/Chinese ones, they are getting pretty nice now too and generally much cheaper. Some racers won't use anything but the typical track brands. Others could care less. It really just depends on which one are you? I've tried both schools with clipons, levers, rear sets and some other ancillary items. Remember most of these smaller parts are considered 'consumables' on a race bike since it's gonna be beat on and probably thrown down the track more than once and will need to be replaced or rebuilt/repaired at some point or two or three. Things like ease of repair, access to replacement parts, trackside support are valid concerns. Something to consider is that if you need a part for a rear set or clip on chances are the racer next to you or the trackside vendor will have the name brand part. Amazon parts, on the other hand, maybe if you're lucky. Or, you could certainly fill your own kit with spares for off brands due to the cheaper prices. Either way is cool. 
Good luck and have fun.

• Premium Member
I'd say Gilles, but since it's a racebike, the Driven TT rearsets go up and back the highest from what I've found (I've had both). 
PM me on my other account (BellissiMoto), as I can give you special forum member pricing :)

- Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Waiting sucks don't it?  
Not even my project and it's killing me.

Come on, let's get crack a lacking here!

• 1 month later...
Well I've got them in, now I gotta get it on the bike, hopefully this weekend
Update? 

Unfortunately I managed to sprain my ankle quite badly, and other slowdowns. Come this weekend I'm taking it up to Barnes Brothers Motorcycles up in Pennsylvania to have them put an R6 front end on it, as well as get the bodywork drilled and make sure the frame is straight.

I would have done this all myself, however I don't have the equipment to measure the frame, nor a reference to measure from. They have built an FZ07R or two so they have them on hand to check my frame out and see if the bodywork will mount up straight and make sure the swingarm is straight.

I do have quite a pile of parts however! It should be done by early June, getting the R6 front end, exhaust, flash, quickshifter, and airbox from Barnes Bros, and the rest of the parts I have kicking around here. Been lazy with posting updates, but I'll get on it soon.

• Premium Member

Liam and the crew at Barnes Bros are awesome, he built one for himself and they've built several more. Your R will be in great hands.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

Mind if i ask: what is the going rate for a wreck in similar condition?

-HowWorkClutch

Honestly it varies pretty wildly so I can't give you a definitive answer, most wrecked ones I see in this condition seem to be around the 4k mark, I have seen a few in the mid 2k mark but they had quite a bit more damage.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, the bike has been dropped off into the competent hands of Barnes Brothers Motorcycles in Canonsburg, PA. They have build several up and are in the process of putting mine together. My bike will be a superbike with no significant motor mods (R6 front end, hordpower airbox, shock linkage).

• 2 weeks later...

Update Time!

So the bike is nearing completion in the hands of Barnes Bros. Motorcycles.  If you need someone to talk to about where to go with the project or need a bike built up, definitely give them a ring.  They have been great to work with and have been keeping me up to date with the progress the whole time.  Also they stock parts for FZ-07R builds in case you're like me and brought them the wrong rearsets >.<!

Enough talking, onto the pictures!
IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

Hurry up and get this thing on track!  Or better still, call me when it's ready and I'd be happy to beat dial it in for you at Gratten or Jennings or VIR,,, let me know ?

haha working on it! They are getting the ignition delete and the bodywork done then I'll be picking it up. Hoping to get it to NCBike next month for a shakedown

Archived