The MT-07 Forum

magnetic tank bag mod

danfz07

Not sure if this is the best place to put this so Mod's move if you feel necessary.  Just got done finishing up the mod to mount a magnetic tank bag on the bike.  I used a combination of different rare earth magnets of various strengths.  I got the magnets here http://www.magcraft.com.  I used .500x .375, .375x.250, and .375x .125.  You probably don't need to use this same combo but i was testing various thickness magnets to find what worked best.  What I found worked best is the larger the better.  I'm not worth a crap at video/you tube stuff but I tried to take some pics.  
IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2187.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

After posting the pics I realize how bad they are. Here are some pics of the finished product. They hold very well. I put four of the larger magnets in in the edges of the bag and they hold like glue.
IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

free image hosting

This is not a good idea. The permanent presence of a strong magnetic field on top of the fuel tank can be very dangerous. I suggest you look into the phenomenon of magnetic hysteresis. The atomic dipoles found in the fuel can align themselves as a result of the presence of a strong magnetic field and I'm totally making this shiet up.

Great job mate, I really admire your ingenuity! I'd never had thought something like that myself.

• Premium Member

There's been a few unfinished threads on this idea, nice to see a completed job.  Looks good, nice and simple. If you're concerned about scratches on the panels you could lay down some 3m protective tape.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• 3 months later...
ducttapewd40

I'm about to start this project. I bought an Ogio mini tanker bag yesterday which works fine with the straps included but I'd rather just stick it on. I'm about to start measuring clearances, but I think a handful of 1" magnets will do the trick. The magnet pockets in the bag could even stand to have some larger magnets stuffed in them.

ducttapewd40

20170604_160822.jpg

So after some measuring and experimenting with the magnets included with the bag, I think I have a plan. I ordered a 5 pack of 1"x .125" disc magnets. https://totalelement.com/collections/all-discs/products/1-x-1-8-inch-neodymium-rare-earth-disc-magnets-n48-5-pack?variant=28412489605

Once I get going on the install I'll either make a video or take a bunch of pictures.

ducttapewd40

I got my magnets in the mail today and just got them all glued in place. First off, the magnets from the link in my last post are insanely strong. Don't let them snap together with your finger in the middle or you're going to have a bad time. The only other material involved was a bottle of Gorilla brand gel super glue which is also pretty strong and the gel aspect means its a lot easier to get it to stay where you want it until it dries without running all over the place.

Not much to report that isn't pretty straightforward since we all know how to unscrew some panels and glue things. The results were good and the bag sticks plenty strong enough to trust it.

A few tips though: I did run into some flash from the molding process right where I wanted to stick one of the magnets, but that was easily removed in a few minutes with some sandpaper.

To get the magnets right where I wanted them I put the bag on right where I wanted it before I removed any panels. Then I stuck scraps of painter's tape on the tank where the magnets in the bag's flaps would sit. When it came time to glue a magnet down I stuck an extra magnet to that scrap of tape with double sided tape, put a good glob of glue on the magnet to go on the underside, and just let the taped on magnet pull it into place from the other side.
20170609_195905.jpg

20170609_200644.jpg

20170609_205903.jpg

20170609_203032.jpg

20170609_202649.jpg

20170609_202702.jpg

Good ingenuity going on here. I opted for a Bagster tank cover and tank bag instead - cover is in the mail, already have a two-story touring tank bag from a previous bike. But using magnets will give you a wider range of choices.

Archived