The MT-07 Forum

Better earplugs?

talic

I just finished installing my M4 exhaust and it sounds pretty sweet! The only problem now is a get a bit of buzzing in my ears after riding it. I have my earplugs jammed in my ears all the way so I'm not sure if there's some better earplugs available or if I should start working on the baffle. Right now I'm using the green Walmart special pack with the cable to keep them together. Are there better out there? I think it's kinda crazy that these ear plugs aren't enough. The exhaust doesn't really sound THAT loud but I guess the length of time on it is what's doing it. Any suggestions? I was thinking about talking to M4 about it. Otherwise I'm happy with it other than the buzzing. (yeah it seem to be not good for my hearing after thinking about it, lol /sign)

I just finished installing my M4 exhaust and it sounds pretty sweet! The only problem now is a get a bit of buzzing in my ears after riding it. I have my earplugs jammed in my ears all the way so I'm not sure if there's some better earplugs available or if I should start working on the baffle. Right now I'm using the green Walmart special pack with the cable to keep them together. Are there better out there? I think it's kinda crazy that these ear plugs aren't enough. The exhaust doesn't really sound THAT loud but I guess the length of time on it is what's doing it. Any suggestions? I was thinking about talking to M4 about it. Otherwise I'm happy with it other than the buzzing. (yeah it seem to be not good for my hearing after thinking about it, lol /sign)
are you using the push in style, or the soft style that you have to "roll" before putting into your ear. Are you sure that the plugs seal your ear canal properly? 
Even with the standard cylinder foam yellow plugs, as long as you put them in correctly they should block a significant amount of sound.

Maybe your ears are big??? No kidding when I was in the Air Force we had to be fitted for plugs. Maybe look into something to fit a larger ear canal.

Dan

• Premium Member

Im always looking into different plugs, its overwhelming. These seem to come down to personal preference with seemingly endless choices and prices.
I dunno, if you want to keep it simple before you buy a bunch of something you dont really like, maybe try something like this...

http://www.earplugstore.com/unfoamtrialp.html

If you have larger than normal canals maybe you'll need to get some custom made.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I just purchased some Isolate earplugs from a Kickstarter campaign and they're awesome for working in the shop, but not in my helmet. The speakers from my Sena push the metal part of the plug too far in, to the point that a metal cylinder the size of a 9mm casing is jammed into my ear canal. If you didn't have a Bluetooth setup with speakers in your helmet they would probably fit just fine.

You may want to consider that when looking at ear plug options that protrude at all.

I'm using the ribbed style plugs from the shooting section at Walmart, here's something similar.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Walker-Foam-Ear-Corded-Plugs-2pk/46272214

I've been jamming them in now and they seem to block the noise before the ride. But after I'm getting the buzzing like I've been riding without any plugs on the freeway.
I kind of like them since they're cheap and they have the little cable to go around my neck, I tend to lose them without the cable.

You should give these a try. 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZB44XA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_sG6RybP1Q5X7S

I use these for when I go shooting. They are great, plus you can mold them to custom fit your ear.

Those look interesting, I might check them out.

I ordered a pair of these https://www.nonoise-earplugs.com/en/products/motorsport/ Havent tried them yet since Im picking up my new FZ07 next saturday, I have heard alot of them tho so the expectations are high!
I've got the same brand.  I love them.  The rumble notes seem to be blocked out quite well, but ordinary conversation and ambient noise still gets through enough to be aware of surroundings. 
FYI to the OP - One "trick" to inserting earplugs correctly is to gently pull the top of the ear up and backwards which opens the ear canal, insert plug, and release ear.  Always get a great fit doing this way!

• Premium Member

Check the rating of the earplugs. That would help... some block more noise than others.

I just use 3M ear plugs you can find at any hardware store. They are rated at 29dB. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

I use some cheap skullcandy headphones with these babies - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00354951S/ref=twister_B00WGVXQFM?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Get the multipack first to figure out what size works best for your canal and when those wear down (which mine haven't after nearly a year of use) then you just buy that size. This has worked the best for me for listening to music and blocking wind noise.

I've got some custom silicone plugs for the track, but they're overkill for the street and not nearly as comfortable when trying to put on my snug helmet.

• Premium Member
This has been my go to. I've had a single pair for years to go shooting. Think they redesigned it since I have bought my pair and might be a bit better.
 More than few people have suggested trying these. I have a couple pairs sitting, waiting in my amazon 'cart'.   

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I just picked up a set of Surefire EP4's off of amazon last week and got to ride with them Saturday and I can say they are very comfortable. Alot of earplugs make my ears hurt and eventually give me a headache. These earplugs are probably one of the most comfortable ones I've used. I bought medium size and they are a perfect fit (for me anyways).

OK.....Can't help myself.....You put on a loud pipe....And it's too loud.

I can't count how many kids see me coming and cover their ears. What's this doing for the public's view of us?

Sorry. Rant over.

I wish I'd worn ear plugs for wind noise from 16 on. Only started in the 90's. Now I always wear them.

I can't imagine adding loud pipes to the mix, you'll all be deaf at 30.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member
OK.....Can't help myself.....You put on a loud pipe....And it's too loud. 
I can't count how many kids see me coming and cover their ears. What's this doing for the public's view of us?

Sorry. Rant over.

I wish I'd worn ear plugs for wind noise from 16 on. Only started in the 90's. Now I always wear them.

I can't imagine adding loud pipes to the mix, you'll all be deaf at 30.

What?

dentalprodigy
I just picked up a set of Surefire EP4's off of amazon last week and got to ride with them Saturday and I can say they are very comfortable. Alot of earplugs make my ears hurt and eventually give me a headache. These earplugs are probably one of the most comfortable ones I've used. I bought medium size and they are a perfect fit (for me anyways).
Thanks for the recommendation.  I just ordered them.  

pineappleunderthesea

I buy the same foam plugs that we use at our production plant--you have to roll these with your fingers so they get thin and round, put me in your ears, and they will slowly expand to fill your ear canal. 

Foam plugs

You can also get the red MAX version of these plugs, they block a little better but feel a little bit stiffer in your ear. I've worn both kinds when I ride with no issue. I also buy the box of 200, since I keep a bunch in my jacket, backpack, etc. 

dentalprodigy

I just received the Surefire EP4 Sonic Defender Plus earplugs. Very impressed with how soft + comfortable they are.
OP I also have the M4. In the early days I also got the same symptoms you are talking about. I think from riding overtime + highway riding (wind is worse than the exhaust imo) I think I have lost considerable hearing.

The foamies (foam earplugs) do work well aswell. I can get ~1 week use out of a pair until they start to deform.

Archived