The MT-07 Forum

Can you push your bike in gear with the engine off?

emmerich

Just wanted to see if this is a universal thing with our bikes or something else was going on.

When my bike is in gear, with the engine off and the clutch fully pulled in I cannot push the bike forward without a LOT of resistance.

However, if I start the bike and put it into gear, with the clutch lever pulled in, I can push the bike normally as if it was in neutral.

What causes this and is it anything to be concerned with?

Normal.

You're turning all the transmission gears, half the clutch pack and all the final drive parts by hand. When the engine is running there is oil pressure to suspend the bearings properly and fully disengage the clutch which makes it feel much more frictionless than when it is off.

Now stop pushing it around and just ride it. ?

Should be true for all bikes or anything using wet clutch.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I could have swore I had pushed it around in gear while it was off before so I thought something had been screwed up when I changed the clutch perch.

At any rate thanks; I just rode it to work 8) Weather im the midwest is stellar right now!

Yes, it won't always happen, but it just tends to happen because the plate tends to stick together when the engine is off.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I park in my garage facing out towards the street, and I found it easiest to just pull it up the hill from the side instead of sitting on the bike and trying to tip toe reverse it in. I also push it out while off so that I'm not wasting that little extra fuel while going to close the garage when I leave. I found the same resistance you're talking about recently. I try pushing and find it super difficult. I just pull it backwards until it stops itself again, then push it forwards a bit harder and for some reason that makes it much it easier to push when the bike is off, in gear, and clutch in. Still a bit more resistance than in neutral, but it mostly solves that locked up issue you speak of

• Premium Member

Oil pressure! and a hot bike will be easier to muscle around in gear than a cold one....usually

Riding it is easier than pushin, or just put it in neutral

'16 FZ07

Archived