The MT-07 Forum

Need some advice on mirrors.

JuggernautOfWar

JuggernautOfWar

I've sat on my bike and tried to find a sweet spot with the factory stock mirrors. Not sure why, but it seems no matter where I position them all I see is my shoulders/arms and not traffic behind me. I always have to lean my body to the side of the mirror to see around my arms, which obviously makes checking my surroundings kind of a pain in the butt.

Should I just buy some aftermarket mirrors of some kind? I'm hesitant because I don't want something that looks out of place on the bike, and honestly I'm not sure if I have the tools and know-how required to replace them. Thoughts?

2015 Red FZ-07
Yoshimura Works R77 Carbon Fiber Full Exhaust
Puig Dark Smoke Touring Windshield

JuggernautOfWar

If I buy two CRG Arrows from Revzilla will I need anything else like adapters or mounts?

2015 Red FZ-07

If I buy two CRG Arrows from Revzilla will I need anything else like adapters or mounts?
The Arrows are bar end mirrors, so you'll need bar end mounts of some type. They don't come with them. I purchased Rhinomoto weighted bar end sliders which are notched for CRG bar end mirrors and weighted to minimize vibration. A bit of a pricey set up for all of that, but I'm very happy with the result.

CRG's aren't exactly cheap but they are exactly about the best thing for the money. I bought some CRG Lane Splitters and have been very happy with them. I didn't need bar end adapters, either.
Edit: Sorry, I did need bar end adapters. Rizoma's.

Beemer

JuggernautOfWar

Looks like the total cost for the bar end adapters and mirrors is about $275. That's definitely a bit pricey!

What tools would I need to remove the stock mirrors and install the new ones? I've got a set of hand tools but nothing fancy.

2015 Red FZ-07

Everything mentioned above are possible solutions:

I got Rizoma Reverse retro mirrors, but the CRG are definitely lower in price. And the bar extenders linked up are the cheapest mod, which my brother has and works nicely!

You would just need a wrench 10 I believe to remove the OEM mirrors... Someone could confirm that? :)

Safe riding!

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

The cheapest solution is to get the mirror extenders. I purchased mine off Amazon around 2 years ago for $17. I no longer have my body blocking my view in the mirrors. You can check eBay and Amazon for these extenders, since there are more sellers available. Just make sure you get one LH and one RH threaded extender since that is how Yamaha has the mirrors threaded.

You will need a 17mm wrench to remove the mirrors and I think a 10mm hex socket/key to bolt on the extenders. Good Luck!

Hopping on the CRG Arrow bandwagon. I just installed mine over the weekend with the Rhinomoto bar-ends and it is such an improvement in both functionality and looks. The stock mirrors were an eyesore for me personally as well as slightly dangerous because unless I leaned quite a bit to one side I could not see around my arms/shoulders which makes it awkward and difficult while moving. The setup is pricey but in my opinion worth it. I can now see virtually everything behind me at the quick flick of an eye - the way it should be.

Installation is incredibly simple but, generally speaking, I'd advise going down to the local hardware/auto store and just picking up a small set of metric hex keys as you'll need them for working on this bike in general (i.e., taking the seat off, doing fender elim., etc.) I used a set of channel locks with some shop towels (to prevent scratching) to get the stock mirrors off) and it was simple. Whole install took 10 minutes maybe.

One thing I am curious about... what are ya'll doing with the threaded spots the stock mirrors came out of? I would like to get some black button head bolts or something but didn't know if anyone had done anything else.

• Premium Member

It seems you get what you pay for with mirrors. Last thing you want is to constantly have to F around with them while riding, a dangerous distraction IMO.
I have the rizoma retro bar-end and love em. Not cheap but they are beautifully made and will outlast the bike.
The other suggestions here are popular too Im sure for good reason.
I highly recommend picking up a socket set. You'll most definitely need one to do anything on this bike.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Just ordered the CRG Arrows myself from oemcycle.com/ebay, 180 for the pair and free international shipping. not to bad.
Thinking of having the standard barends machined, over a 100$ for the rhinomotos with shipping is just painful.

• Global Moderator

@el937, some guys have bought black plastic plugs at the auto parts store to fill the hole. The photos I have seen look good and they are only a few bucks.

Yeah, I used a cheap plastic cap a few months as well, then I bought some Yamaha OEM plugs. Yup, Yamaha actually makes OEM plugs for that on the R3. I think I posted a pic on here somewhere.

But the yamaha part number is

90338-09012-00

Just do a google search for various prices, and do an image search on it as well to see what it looks like. Its a beefy, rubber/plastic cap.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

To fill the hole of the stock mirrors, I went to my local Ace hardware store and found some very cheap plastic flat plugs that fit right into the hole.

Alex

How much vibration do you guys get with the CRG Arrows?

PO of my bike has some cheap bar end mirrors installed and I can hardly see anything in them because they vibrate like crazy. Just wondering if it is worth adding new mirrors to the upgrade list.

@flooger I get virtually 0 vibration with the CRG Arrows... I'm sure the round ones are the same as CRG's generally seem to be well-constructed.  I will admit I do get a little vibration at speed but it is not enough to even remotely skew my understanding of what I am seeing.  I am super happy with these mirrors... I was hesitant to spend the money on the mirrors + Rhinomoto bar ends but honestly I am glad I did.

Mirrors, shorty levers, frame sliders, and fender elim have completely changed the look of the bike for me (for the better).  Only getting started!!

This tread made me order these... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Mirrors-Extension-Riser-Adapter-MT-09-MT-07-Fazer-FZ-09-V-max-1700-/351105531872
Cheap solution to the problem if they work
I've had these on 3 bikes and they work. You still see a little of yourself, but up-and-out was the inexpensive but effective answer for me (and no vibrations). As to plugs, I got packets of 'chrome' ones on ebay and plugged them into various allen-head bolt head holes. 

Just do it! 

How much vibration do you guys get with the CRG Arrows? 
PO of my bike has some cheap bar end mirrors installed and I can hardly see anything in them because they vibrate like crazy. Just wondering if it is worth adding new mirrors to the upgrade list.
I don't currently have these but have ridden with CRG arrows in the past. They are solid and visibility is great. 

• Premium Member

These extenders work for me.  Not cheap, but they look like they came from Yami.

386.jpg

Archived