The MT-07 Forum

Drag bars or Renthal Ultra lows/street fighters

titleist32

I really want to give the bike a little more of an aggressive look. It seems like there are a few options out there for bars. I really like the look of drag bars but I'm concerned they might kick my butt on a longer ride? Anyone have experience with the different types of bars listed? They seem to be the most popular and really have the look I want. Just curious what people's opinions are. Pictures and links would be really nice. Thank you guys.

I used to have drag bars on my bike. They made the bike look a bit more aggressive and the ergos were nice at first, but I changed to Rizoma bars for more comfort.

Drag bars
https://www.amazon.com/TC-Bros-Choppers-101-0007-Drag/dp/B00OQTECEQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487563856&sr=8-4&keywords=drag+bar

Rizoma
http://www.rizoma.com/universal/handlebars-clip-on-bars/ma001/en

I have the red Rizoma bars to match my bike and it should be pretty similar to the Renthals. Where do you live? I have some free drag bars if you want it. I'm in Los Angeles

I used to have drag bars on my bike. They made the bike look a bit more aggressive and the ergos were nice at first, but I changed to Rizoma bars for more comfort. 
Drag bars
https://www.amazon.com/TC-Bros-Choppers-101-0007-Drag/dp/B00OQTECEQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487563856&sr=8-4&keywords=drag+bar

Rizoma
http://www.rizoma.com/universal/handlebars-clip-on-bars/ma001/en

I have the red Rizoma bars to match my bike and it should be pretty similar to the Renthals. Where do you live? I have some free drag bars if you want it. I'm in Los Angeles

I'm all the way out in the quad cities (Moline IL/Davenport Iowa)

martyinaustin

i believe i have the Renthal ultra-lows on mine. just did about 480 miles in 3 days or so and they were great. no issue at all. took me a while to get used to the "bite" of
the lower bars but now i love it. fwiw...
IMG_3296.jpg

If it's mainly looks you're after, the drag bar is the way to go.
Actually riding the bike will decide whether or not you like how they feel.
Pay attention to cable routing and cable free play and adjust if necessary.

The Renthal Ultra Low handlebar is the mid-way compromise.
To me, it doesn't look aggressive, and actually think it looks kinda' dorky at times.
However, that's what's currently on my bike after having ridden last year with the drag bar.
Actually, I went from the stock handlebar, to the Renthal, to the drag bar, and now back to the Renthal.

The drag bar has a sportier ergonomic position, but aggravates my bum wrist too much under braking.
Otherwise, I'd keep it on the bike.
If you are in perfect health with your back and joints, you may prefer it.

+1 for the Ultra Lows. I just got back from another go at the Three Sisters in TX. First time had the stock bars; Ultra Lows this time around. To me, the bike now feels slightly more planted in turns and above 80MPH (also increasing the rear preload to 5 felt better). 440mi on Saturday, and the muscles between my shoulder blades are a little tight but definitely bearable. I think the slightly wider bar of the Ultra Lows helps. I agree with everyone saying it's similar to the stock, just a slight bit of forward lean.

martyinaustin

holy crap Lowpass89...i wonder if we passed each other? i was out there too on Thursday...in the area Wed-Friday morning.
i feel the same way...though this is my first try out there...i love the ultra-lows and yeah, it looks wacky especially w/ my
Dart Manta, but f*ck it...and oh yeah...glad i had the heated grips too!

i need to take another shot at the roads soon...this time going the other direction! wanna go again lowpass?????

marty

I love the look of the drag bars but it seems to me that everyone ends up getting the renthal ultra lows at some point and there probably is a reason for that....

Ive just put drag bars on. I like them but time will tell. Love the price and love that it gets me lower. If I change them it would be for clip ons.

Dan

TTD_Palmer_9_05_16_1425.jpg
I do track days and 300 to 600 mile Sunday rides. Renthal Ultra-lows are perfect. Any lower would be a killer for stop and go and touring/slow speeds.

holy crap Lowpass89...i wonder if we passed each other? i was out there too on Thursday...in the area Wed-Friday morning. i feel the same way...though this is my first try out there...i love the ultra-lows and yeah, it looks wacky especially w/ my
Dart Manta, but f*ck it...and oh yeah...glad i had the heated grips too!

i need to take another shot at the roads soon...this time going the other direction! wanna go again lowpass?????

marty
Probably not if you went back towards Austin.  We came up from the Corpus area but didn't get to Leakey until around 10pm Friday night (freakin' cold haha).  That area has the closest twisties near me, so I'll be back! Also want to hit up River Rd in New Braunfels and stuff around Lake Travis soon! 

Ive just put drag bars on. I like them but time will tell. Love the price and love that it gets me lower. If I change them it would be for clip ons.  
Dan

Just thought I would add that the drag bars came off tonite and woodcrafts went on.  I just couldn't get used to the straightness on the drag bars.  I needed something that cut back a little more for my wrist.  Haven't put any miles on the woodcrafts yet but the feel much better just sitting on the bike 
dan

Archived