The MT-07 Forum

Lithium vs Silicone Grease?

optytrex

So checking the owner's manual, there's a section that indicates the break lever should be lubricated with Silicone Based Grease. I find it odd seeing as ever other section I can find only mentions Lithium-Soap-Based Grease. I couldn't find another post about this so:
What's the difference (pros/cons)?
Can I just use the Lithium grease I got/what's the worst that could happen?
Thanks for all the help peeps!

Silicon grease is best used around or on rubber gaskets or seals, other oil based greases can degrade rubber. You can use dielectric grease or silicon grease found in the plumbing isle at the box stores.

I used some of the grease you can buy in the tubes from Walmart for my bearings, is lithium based and brownish. Everything else I have white lithium spray grease I just slip on everything else after it's been cleaned. I'm actually giving my new chain a go with the spray on white grease and so far so good, it attracts particles a little more but my cleaning frequency gets rid of that before it builds up too much anyways.

All of the rubber bits that sees brake fluid is EPDM - a rubber that does not like petroleum whatever. So hence the silicone recommendation. You could use synthetic grease meant for calipers like https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24110-Ultra-Brake-Caliper/dp/B000HBNV6W  on that lever w/o issue. Parts stores anywhere will carry this or similar. 

If ya don't go nuts with the stuff, I don't see why a good Li based grease couldn't be used on the pivot. But you should not use anything other than silicone (well, maybe teflon dry lube) on the actuation pin that pushes on the master's piston.

As for the chain, I've been using a mix of 140W gear oil and white Li grease in my auto oiler on my Aprilia for about 15 years now. The current chain is near 12k miles and not needed a single adjustment.

Lithium grease (esp. chain grease/wax) has a product to clean the chain.
I guess that product (thinner oils that evaporate), might be bad for the seals, but I don't think or believe the actual lythium grease/wax can do any harm to the seals.
It's a lot thicker than silicone grease for sure.

but I don't think or believe the actual lythium grease/wax can do any harm to the seals. 

sorry, but that's just wrong -  
The rubber compounds used in a chain are not the same as what's used in your master cylinder or any other part of a system that sees Dot 3/4/5.1 brake fluid (Dot 5 is silicone, it comes with its own problems, but won't hurt EPDM) . Brake fluid eats paint and will dissolve the butyl rubber seals on yer average chain. Conversely, petroleum products (like lithium based greases, paint thinners, kerosene, even paraffin (aka "soap/wax" based greases) will damage anything made of EPDM rubber - the stuff used for roofing and hydraulic brakes/clutches)

Here, have a look at this compatibility chart  http://mossrubber.com/pdfs/Chem_Res.pdf 

it's yer bike. do/believe what ya want.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are talking about the lever pivot, I use Tefgel. Stupidly expensive but unmatched is the right spots. Waterproof, heat proof, fine with rubber, incredibly load tolerant,, won't run and brilliant in areas where there is not large bearing excursions ( like a lever pivot or swingarm pivot).
It is AWEFUL to apply as it sticks to everything. DO NOT USE ON THINGS THE MOVE FAST OR NEED TO FULLY ROTATE FREELY as it is antiviscous ( ie it gets stiffer as you try to move it faster)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived