The MT-07 Forum

Attitude

jfk64

So I walk into Maximum motorsports in Riverhead NY,Me: what would you guys charge for a first service on my fz07?
Guy: did you buy it here? Me: no.. ( why that should make a difference I don't know) guy: well you'd get a discount if you bought the bike here.. That'll be $300 ( right off the top of his head!) well needless to say I won't be servicing it there.. I'm handy and can do most of it myself anyway.. They won't be seeing me anymore!

Guest unknown

It never made any sense to me why some dealers do that. They have a chance to earn your business and maybe sell you a bike down the road. Instead, they get butthurt that you didn't buy a bike from them and try to overcharge you. Bad business practice IMO.

Agreed.. I didn't even get a chance to tell the guy it's been a while since I've been here.. I'm in the computer because you worked on the FJR I used to own.. Oh well..

Yeah, totally bad business. In the cycling/mountain bike world, the dealers know full well all their money is made on the service side. Margins are very tight on bike (non-motored kind ha) sales, so they are typically open to anyone who wants service. And I'm talking bikes that cost as much or more than a Ninja 300 haha, so I can't see motorcycles being that much different.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Agreed.. I didn't even get a chance to tell the guy it's been a while since I've been here.. I'm in the computer because you worked on the FJR I used to own.. Oh well..
How could you part with your FJR???? :'( I'd have a chat about that conversation with the owner.

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

Don't let dealers touch your bikes! They charge a fortune and pay their techs peanuts, who getad and the good ones go open their own private shops. Go find the ex techs I their private shops. They do better work and charge over 50% less and are often the ones who trained the lower skilled techs who are still at the dealership.

Got it? Good!!

• 2 weeks later...

One reason I wanted to stay with Honda was the dealer I dealt with on my first bike. The owner is there everyday and remembers everyones name and what you ride. The multibrand dealer I went to for the 07, not so much. The sales guy 2wks later couldnt remember my name or bike I bought. Will not be going back for sure.

Archived