The MT-07 Forum

motospirit9999 kickstand-foot plate from ebay

avanti

• Premium Member

This was a totally frivolous purchase but I thought at $15-ish at my door from China that it looked kinda neat and would enlarge the foot of the kickstand a little, which probably would be okay.  So, I bought one specifically advertized for the MT- and FZ-07.  It arrived in reasonably short order and I went to install it... NOT!  The kickstand-foot wouldn't fit in the machined indentation as intended.  The most obvious problem was that the machined insides of the hollowed-out area were perpendicular all the way around and the "tube" that connects to the kickstand-foot is welded to the foot at an angle greater than 90-degrees and... interferes... duh. 

So, I contacted the seller to inform them, not that I was going to mess with returning such a cheapo item.  I reported the problem with a picture of the kickstand showing the angled tube.  I also said that I would re-machine the part to fit, but felt this needed to be corrected for future buyers.  They responded quickly requesting another picture and wondered if they might have sent the wrong part.  I assured them that the part seemed to be the right one since the unique shape of the machined area was correct (well, almost, I learned later).  I also forwarded another picture, as requested, but explained that my first picture showed the problem quite clearly.

Later in the day I went out to the shop and beveled the rear (toward the bike) surface of the vertical inside of their plate so that it should have fit; low-&-behold it still didn't since I then discovered that nearly every other vertical surface they had machined was off just a little, as well.  Hence, I redid these which allowed the piece to finally fit onto the kickstand foot.  I thought I would probably have to modify at least one of the aluminum retainer pieces, as well, but both fit fine.  Then, I discovered that two retainer "set-screws" apparently intended to make sure the new plate did not move about were both too long.  Since I had some appropriately small stainless washers I used those to install these two screws and will shorten them tomorrow or the next day, given that I'd run out of time at that point. 

Finally, I reported all this to the seller, along with new pix noting where I had to remove material from their product and explained about the screws, as well.  As my last statement, I suggested they might wish to retain me to do actual "on-bike" testing of their products to assure that they fit before selling them, hehehe.  My recommendation here... don't buy this crap unless you wish to mess around with it so it's usable!

Yam_FZ_MT_07_plate_2.jpg

Yam_FZ_MT_07_plate_3.jpg

Yam_FZ_MT_07_plate_4.jpg

• Premium Member

...ohhh China....tisk tisk. Nice photo shoot btw, carpet and all! Classy. :D

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

...ohhh China....tisk tisk. Nice photo shoot btw, carpet and all! Classy. :D
Agreed, that's a durable looking carpet. Me mum used to have sum like it, where did you get it?  
Maybe someone would have less trouble with these (IDK, don't have them). I found these online @ amazon for cheap (China??? prolly) and they come in four delicious colors. :D Looks like they may have a slightly bigger foot print as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Stand-Kickstand-Support-2013-2015-Yamaha/dp/B018QLYQ1I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487511150&sr=8-4&keywords=kick-stand+plate+FZ-07 

Beemer

• Premium Member

Yeah, Beemer, there were a number of different plates of varying design available on "the bay," but for some reason, which now escapes me, I opted for this one--I think it may have been because the retainers looked more substantial.

As for the carpet, most of my 1200sqft "shorage" (shop+garage) is carpeted. However, what and where differs. I've had some ugly industrial down for over 30 years that I took out of the house right after we bought it and the rest, as pictured (at the shop end), is from Walmart... cheapo 6'X 8' "throws" that have proven surprisingly durable and easily vacuumed/swept or temporarily rolled-up and moved out of the way--as when rolling a "loaded" engine-puller or cradle about. I started using carpet to park vehicles on and work on (except at my work benches and power-tools where I use foam mats) because I don't like using creepers or lying on concrete--okay, I'm a wuss, admittedly. :-)

Archived