The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 is my first bike

titleist32

After a lot of excuses and reasons to not get a bike I finally just committed. I always wanted a supersport but after sitting on them I didn't think they would be ideal. I live in the quad cities (boarder of iowa and Illinois) and there is a broad range of riding options from urban to back country roads. I picked up my FZ07 right before everyone had their tax returns back and the weather got nice for the dealers to bump up the pricing. After a little talking I picked her up for $500 under KBB with a little "acting" like I wasn't sure. They tried to bump me up to the FZ09but I just didn't feel comfortable on it. It seems like an amazing machine but not for my first bike. I am a little concerned I am going to want more, I'm  a speed freak :/. I'm hope I am not disappointed. Of course I cant leave anything stock either so I have already ordered parts. My bike is a 2016 silver/black/blurple.

Ermax Satin Blue sport windscreen
OES Frame and axle sliders with rear spools
Cyclops 7000lumen headlight
Amber LED front parking light
Motodynamic fender eliminator/integrated taillight/flush mount turn signals

• Premium Member

FZ07 was also my first bike I plowed out 20,000 miles and a few track days before I decided to upgrade and I know I was still the limiting factor on what the bike could do. I still have the FZ07 because its a fun comfortable bike and I want the wife to start riding.

Good news it the FZ is the perfect bike to find out what it is you are looking for on your next bike.The thing to keep in mind is this bike can still get you in trouble fast. Take a MSF course and take your time learning how to ride Watch twist of the wrist a few times,

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

FZ07 was also my first bike I plowed out 20,000 miles and a few track days before I decided to upgrade and I know I was still the limiting factor on what the bike could do. I still have the FZ07 because its a fun comfortable bike and I want the wife to start riding.  
Good news it the FZ is the perfect bike to find out what it is you are looking for on your next bike.The thing to keep in mind is this bike can still get you in trouble fast. Take a MSF course and take your time learning how to ride Watch twist of the wrist a few times,
I took the MSF course and that helped. I know I have a lot to learn and practice before I would be ready to upgrade. But you are right this bike can get you in trouble quick. I like the fact that the power is actually useable, I feel like when you start getting bigger you might have the power but how much can I really use on the street?  

Welcome and congrats! Hopefully the 0-60 times will be enough to satisfy your need for speed for awhile before you move on to bigger, faster things. If nothing else, it is undeniably a fun bike and not many super sports are that.

Beemer

• Premium Member

IMO
Most of the time the FZs power is all you will need, suspension is another story. If you get board of the power then you should to do a few track days before you decide to jump ship. Track days will build confidence and help you realize the capabilities of the bike but that after you feel comfortable on the street.

Once you get to a pint where you feel you are ready for more (a few years or 10,000 or more miles) you will be able to get and ride any bike you like or can afford.

For now focus on mastering your skills and having fun and staying safe.

• Premium Member
Welcome and congrats! Hopefully the 0-60 times will be enough to satisfy your need for speed for awhile before you move on to bigger, faster things. If nothing else, it is undeniably a fun bike and not many super sports are that.
Yeah exactly, I love my GSXR but its not as fun and relaxing, nothing I've ridden so far has been IMO. These bikes are super popular and the reason is because it checks all the right boxes! 

Yeah exactly, I love my GSXR but its not as fun and relaxing, nothing I've ridden so far has been IMO. These bikes are super popular and the reason is because it checks all the right boxes!
The sit up riding position, like a super moto or dirt bike, offers a different kind of aggressive other than just going straight line blazing fast. You feel more in control at lower speeds and can get more squirrely with it which = fun! Some may say it just handles better in the city and that's alright, too. 

Beemer

• Premium Member

+1 for what everyone else has said. This is my first bike as well and I gotta say there's more than enough power here. I took the course and read up everything safety related I can get my hands on. I also researched countless accidents/photos etc etc and that sh*t shook me to the point that it comes to mind when I ponder f'ing around, and when I researched and bought appropriate gear. Reading is one thing but practical application for me has been baby steps as its clear without years of riding experience this bike can really get out from under you fast. I realized quickly one doesn't have to take those extra risks to have a sh*t-ton of fun on this thing (and there definitely are a sh*t-ton of risks one can take in the heat of fun.) Other riders zip past weaving in and out and that desire to speed up and join them takes hold but I take a second and sit back and carry on in my own way. I respect whats between my legs every second Im riding because I like my body parts and fleshy bits right where they are. 
But of course this is just my approach to a better appreciation of proficient riding. Stay cool out there. ;)

There's a bunch out there but a couple of good reads I found valuable that you might want to check out are by David Hough:
https://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding-ebook/dp/B004CLYCPM
https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Ride-More-Proficient-Motorcycling-ebook/dp/B008L0NS4Q/ref=pd_sim_351_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BY3HJKA4EZ090D7TD1NB

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

hugson2wheels

IMO it's perfect for the "mature" new rider who is use to speed. It's a very light bike with plenty of power so if you are not smooth with your throttle it can ruin your day for sure. I'm a speed freak as well and I've hit 128mph easily (on a private road) and the bike has LOADS of pick up from a stop, the trick is keeping it from lifting the front haha. Exhaust, intake and a tune really make the bike shine!! (although I should have done suspension first). One might say why not just buy a more capable bike. Truth is I'd mod that as well so yeah.... Until I gather some more funds to buy an R1 and sell off some of my other toys I'm very happy with the fz-07. Go for it and good luck... For 7k $ new it's the best bike on the market. I get compliments on it's looks and sound every time I ride.

If god created us in his image, does that mean god is an egomaniac as well?

IMO it's perfect for the "mature" new rider who is use to speed. It's a very light bike with plenty of power so if you are not smooth with your throttle it can ruin your day for sure. I'm a speed freak as well and I've hit 128mph easily (on a private road) and the bike has LOADS of pick up from a stop, the trick is keeping it from lifting the front haha. Exhaust, intake and a tune really make the bike shine!! (although I should have done suspension first). One might say why not just buy a more capable bike. Truth is I'd mod that as well so yeah.... Until I gather some more funds to buy an R1 and sell off some of my other toys I'm very happy with the fz-07. Go for it and good luck... For 7k $ new it's the best bike on the market. I get compliments on it's looks and sound every time I ride.
you are right. I cant complain for picking it up for $5400 with 1500 miles and a factory warranty for another few months. Ill modify it and hone my skills. It could end up just being a really solid street bike for me. If I want to get more aggressive or drive like a speed demon, well some 17 year old kif probably has an R1 he dropped recently pretty cheap on craigslist that I can make a track bike one day.  

hugson2wheels

@titleist

Exactly brotha. That's awesome! Grats... And enjoy!

PS... Watch out for peeps texting and driving! I almost got hit last summer ?

If god created us in his image, does that mean god is an egomaniac as well?

Welcome and nice choice!! Everything said before is more than helpful, so... just be mindful on the road and ride preventing situations! :)

Safe riding!

Archived