The MT-07 Forum

Anyone was like the amount of engine braking?

crsnhppr

I like the injector cutoff actually , makes the engine grab nicely off throttle and assists in deceleration. When I back the rear into a supermoto slide/turn I find the engine braking helps me control the rear wheel speed better too more controllable, I'm not sliding thru like I'm on a sheet of ice, I can feel the friction of the engine load and road and helps a bit. Anyone else like the engine braking?

• Premium Member

I like it because it stops me from the bad habit of operating the throttle like an on/off switch.
Although, I have been trying to use less engine braking. More engine braking = colder front tire.

I've ridden for awhile and it didn't bother me too much. Like you, at times it can come in handy but I am happier being in more control on a regular basis of how fast I decelerate. I usually don't need or want the engine braking. Anyway, it's mostly gone now since my EJK.

Beemer

• Global Moderator

The engine braking was main reason I got the 2wdw ECU flash. I am far happier now, and the bike is so much smoother throughout the power range.

• Premium Member

Doesn't bother me one way or the other. I have driven/ridden so many things over the years I just adapt and go on. No biggie.

I ride supermoto also so I'm used to it. If anything I think engine braking is a good thing. It helps tremendously in emergency braking situations and I've been in a couple situations where I was glad the engine braking was a big assist in that.

I've become too used to it, enjoy it even, it makes getting that perfect rev match all the more satisfying. That being said I probably rely on it too much for slowing down.

Honestly, it is a bit on the heavier side, but not the worst - I'm used to revmatching anyways and got used to it, but I agree it'd be more pleasant if it wasn't so abrupt.
(Mmmhh... slippery clutch just in case? Hehehe)

Safe riding!

I'm glad it's gone now with my re flash. So much smoother now.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

It's not as savage as a Vtwin but before the reflash I didn't like it much. I prefer racing 2 strokes actually so am used to virtually no engine braking and prefer the predictability of just actual brakes doing the slowing. On that note my Kawaka er6n was way more controllable under brakes with a slipper clutch ( ie virtually no engine braking)than without.
Most of the guys I used to race with, that raced Motards had slippers, so they seem to prefer it that was as well.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived