The MT-07 Forum

dna stage 2 cover?

chrisburges

It'll work with whatever you want , stock snorkel won't fit and that's good because it's just for noise pretty much.
im asking because i dont want to buy a 90 cover piece if i dont need to

Definitely don't need the airfilter plate or the snorkel imo. I've kept mine off because I use a EJK with a stock exhaust and the snorkel plate and snorkel both removed for a little more midrange and top end power. Without a fuel controller and no snorkel plate or snorkel it just makes the bike a little louder

Definitely don't need the airfilter plate or the snorkel imo. I've kept mine off because I use a EJK with a stock exhaust and the snorkel plate and snorkel both removed for a little more midrange and top end power. Without a fuel controller and no snorkel plate or snorkel it just makes the bike a little louder
and which air filter do you have? i bought the 2wdw flash and gotta send it in by march 1st, so i gotta change from stock airfilter now, becuase i dont want to pay for shipping twice

How do they ask $100 for a plastic cover?
I think you can hold down the DNA filter with the 4 factory screws. Maybe with washers.

DNA filter should come with the cover.?

I've watched 2 different videos of guys installing DNA filters and then putting the super restrictive European cover back on top of it.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

How do they ask $100 for a plastic cover? I think you can hold down the DNA filter with the 4 factory screws. Maybe with washers.

DNA filter should come with the cover.?

I've watched 2 different videos of guys installing DNA filters and then putting the super restrictive European cover back on top of it.

Exactly what I'm saying. Doesn't look like there is a way to screw in the DNA. Just sits in there. And my bike didn't come with the stock cover or anything. The mwr filter looks like it might stay in better without a cover. May consider that for a bit more so I can save on not getting the cover. Thoughts?

If you already have the DNA filter don't scrap it. Get some screws to hold all 4 corners like stock.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member

Man, at this rate just save a few more pennies and buy a proper airbox from Hordpower. IMO this filter cover is a ridiculous gimmick.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

hugson2wheels
Is the benefit worth the 80 bucks for the filter? Have a fuel controller and have always hesitated with the filter upgrade.
Definitely worth it. We've seen dyno charts in this forum proving horsepower and torque gains via high flow drop in filters. As long as you tune for it to add more fuel.

If god created us in his image, does that mean god is an egomaniac as well?

IMO this filter cover is a ridiculous gimmick.
Frankly the benefit of a venturi cover vs. the DNA filter alone, no cover, clamped to the airbox is probably under 5 percent difference. I decided 100 bucks for 5% is not worth it so i made my own, took a day, and I like making stuff. 

• Premium Member
 IMO this filter cover is a ridiculous gimmick.
Frankly the benefit of a venturi cover vs. the DNA filter alone, no cover, clamped to the airbox is probably under 5 percent difference. I decided 100 bucks for 5% is not worth it so i made my own, took a day, and I like making stuff.
I suppose I should have elaborated on that some more...I meant for the price they're asking to actual benefit to performance I see it as a 'gimmick'. Gimmick was probably the wrong choice of words there.   :D Yeah I saw that post of your project very cool! Looked like it was fun to do.  I would have taken your route as well. I also love every aspect of the research etc involved in making stuff. Most of my life Ive done countless art projects, sculpting molding casting wood metal feathers you name it, anything really to get the desired finished product, its an extremely satisfying process for me.
For the bike I made some DRL / turn signals which are resin cabochon domes with red yamaha symbols to replace the logos on the scoops.
Some of these guys here with their machining skills though...man, its something else.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

hugson2wheels

The top plate they sell is very functional (much larger entry and beveled edges for a less turbulent air flow into the intake) .... But yes.. IMO that much money just for the top is too much. As far as high flow filters go..... With a proper tune they all work well if they flow more than stock.

If god created us in his image, does that mean god is an egomaniac as well?

I suppose I should have elaborated on that some more...I meant for the price they're asking to actual benefit to performance I see it as a 'gimmick'. Gimmick was probably the wrong choice of words there.   :D Yeah I saw that post of your project very cool! Looked like it was fun to do.  I would have taken your route as well. I also love every aspect of the research etc involved in making stuff. Most of my life Ive done countless art projects, sculpting molding casting wood metal feathers you name it, anything really to get the desired finished product, its an extremely satisfying process for me.
For the bike I made some DRL / turn signals which are resin cabochon domes with red yamaha symbols to replace the logos on the scoops.
Some of these guys here with their machining skills though...man

I, however do not have any of those machining or crafts skills and prefer to buy the next best bet. maybe ill just put some type of fasteners on the 4 screws that would hold down the filter

Found a nice discounted one on ebay. Think I might take the advice I saw somewhere and just dremel out the stock cover.
link?
LINK 
Saved myself a whopping 5-6 bucks but with better shipping.

• Premium Member
Some of these guys here with their machining skills though...man

I, however do not have any of those machining or crafts skills and prefer to buy the next best bet. maybe ill just put some type of fasteners on the 4 screws that would hold down the filter
Right.... if you want to keep it simple and uber cheap you could simply bend up a thin and narrow piece of metal, drill a couple holes for the screws and lay it across diagonally. (if it even needs bending to make contact and depress the rim of the filter I have no idea...)  

I beg to differ on whether this is a big deal or not - it's not.

Yes, it's likely "better" than a sharp-edged corner, but if you look at the entire flow path and all that goes into the HP production, this change is trivial and will have no measureable affect. It's negligible - and at $100, silly. As part of a group of changes, yeah, it goes in the right direction and if you need to change the cover, you would choose the one with a better design, but still, it will have no measurable affect.

And believe it or not, a *poorly* designed cover with a radius on the edge can actually flow worse than a sharp edged one because you can get a venturi effect, actually decreasing the effective cross-sectional area of the flow path. Not suggesting their cover is poorly designed, just that blanket statements of better/worse are not always true.

The cost of the cover is high because they are CNC-ing the covers, not a mass-production injection mold, which would be much cheaper. The initial costs for an injection mold are high, and are only acceptable if you are going to sell thousands or tens of thousands to recoup the initial costs. They prob thought it was a better move to do the single items via CNC rather than injection mold . . . and they were probably right IMHO.

FWIW.

I beg to differ on whether this is a big deal or not - it's not.  
Yes, it's likely "better" than a sharp-edged corner, but if you look at the entire flow path and all that goes into the HP production, this change is trivial and will have no measureable affect. It's negligible - and at $100, silly. As part of a group of changes, yeah, it goes in the right direction and if you need to change the cover, you would choose the one with a better design, but still, it will have no measurable affect.

And believe it or not, a *poorly* designed cover with a radius on the edge can actually flow worse than a sharp edged one because you can get a venturi effect, actually decreasing the effective cross-sectional area of the flow path. Not suggesting their cover is poorly designed, just that blanket statements of better/worse are not always true.

The cost of the cover is high because they are CNC-ing the covers, not a mass-production injection mold, which would be much cheaper. The initial costs for an injection mold are high, and are only acceptable if you are going to sell thousands or tens of thousands to recoup the initial costs. They prob thought it was a better move to do the single items via CNC rather than injection mold . . . and they were probably right IMHO.

FWIW.

Agreed on all points and it is amazing that if you put the name "racing" or "stage two"on something people will rush like lemmings to buy it with out knowing or understanding what it does or does not do. If you have a radius of 1/8" to 3/8" you have a 99% chance of improved airflow, but quite un-measurable against a squared off hole. Vs the stock cover probably dyno measurable, but you won't feel it in your butt.  
The exception I take is the cost of CNC prototyping, its quite cheap these days, but maybe in the U.S, companies are greedy. I had some one off pcs, done here out of 6061 T6 and it was under 30 bucks including material. Granted I provided the CAD files, but it is not expensive especially for a simple part. And for all we know they could be jobbing out to China.

forkbrace_3db.jpg

IMG_20160715_085602.jpg

upload pic

You got that stanchion/slider bracket made for $30 including material!? I would say that that is quite cheap and am impressed. But then again, I live in Si Valley, and they charge us for the air we breath out here, so a part like that would be 2x as much in my neck of the woods.

That said, if you have an injection mold that can produce 8 at a time and it can kick them out in a minute or so and onto the next batch, and the material costs are negligible, you're producing a part that costs less than a dollar if you have runs of 5000+. The kicker is the initial engineering costs and molds - that and the need to produce large quantities for a given run. And I'd be surprised if they sell more than a 1000 throughout its lifespan, so I.M. is not feasible here.

All in all, I still think they are charging a lot for that cover . . .

Archived