The MT-07 Forum

1st Mod ~ Suspension?

z324u

Hello All....
I'm picking up a brand new Matte Silver FZ-07 tomorrow, and want to setup the suspension as my first mod.  I want to stay around 6-800$ if possible (parts not labor).  I'm 6'2" and about 200 / 33-34" in seam (I'm all legs!).  This is my first street bike, but I'm a very experienced off road / mx racer.  I know suspension is the absolute first thing I do to my offload bikes every year when I get one, so I figure it's got to carry over to street to some degree?  At the very least as a safety net for learning the ropes.

Could one of you fine gents direct me to the absolute best option for setting up the bike to my weight?  I attempted to look through some of this forum, and others, and I'm more confused now than before!  I have no problem doing the work myself, as I'm quite experienced rebuilding shocks and forks on much more complex closed cartridge systems (dirt bikes).

Hello All.... I'm picking up a brand new Matte Silver FZ-07 tomorrow, and want to setup the suspension as my first mod.  I want to stay around 6-800$ if possible (parts not labor).  I'm 6'2" and about 200 / 33-34" in seam (I'm all legs!).  This is my first street bike, but I'm a very experienced off road / mx racer.  I know suspension is the absolute first thing I do to my offload bikes every year when I get one, so I figure it's got to carry over to street to some degree?  At the very least as a safety net for learning the ropes.

Could one of you fine gents direct me to the absolute best option for setting up the bike to my weight?  I attempted to look through some of this forum, and others, and I'm more confused now than before!  I have no problem doing the work myself, as I'm quite experienced rebuilding shocks and forks on much more complex closed cartridge systems (dirt bikes).

Welcome to the forum! Suspension is one of the best first mods for the fz07 with noticeable performance improvement that will actually make you faster and more comfortable in the corners and in weaving around cars.

FZ-07. Great bike for a very low price, low price is due to the absolute shet suspension that comes on this bike.

1.You you need to have the fork springs changed for your weight as the forks are set up for a 165 lb rider, which is heavy in Japan but many of us Americans are well over that. There is also some other mods that should happen on the forks like a revalve and some other options.

Good news, we have a couple of great suspension guys on the forum. Stoltec and Forks by Matt are both on this forum and give great rates to us members and they have forgotten more about suspension than I will ever know. Go to their sections on this forum and read and send both of them a PM. New members must have 10 posts before they can send pm's, as an anti spam measure and we also want people to post instead of just read and split.

You can call Stoltec at 610.252.7232 or email at sales@stoltecmoto.com. Tell Nick that Rob sent you.

I'm not sure of Matt's number but will alert him for you by putting an @ before his username, which will send him a notification and he will chime in. @pattonme

Suspension can be done in stages, as money comes available. Main goal is to stop the bouncing in the corners and also spring it right so that you can actually set sag.

• Premium Member

Welcome to the club. I wish I could help out on this but its safe to say Im more confused than you. The vendor here "forks by matt" really knows his stuff and I base that opinion on the fact that everyone here have been very pleased with his work/offerings. He's been solid with responses as well.   ....oops and Stoltec slipped in there under my radar. (thanks for pointing these guys out @Cruizin)

Enjoy that new ride.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

Sending my forks to Hord Power for K Tech cartridges has been the easiest mod on my bike all winter. :) Awesome service!

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Sending my forks to Hord Power for K Tech cartridges has been the easiest mod on my bike all winter. :) Awesome service!
Ditto, installed a set of GP Suspensions 25mm cartridges from Hordpower, very nice units. Hord is very forthcoming with help and advice whether by phone or email. 

Some stoletec springs and aftermarket preload adjusters would be a nice cheap upgrade
Good idea, maybe heavier oil also and if happy with this set up then use the money saved for a decent rear shock. 

And you can always buy some GVE's and toss them in your forks too, kinda work your way up for the front end... just see what you need with some basic upgrades and then supplement if you need

Archived