The MT-07 Forum

ARRGH!!! Slider choices...I just can't decide!

pgeldz

• Premium Member

ARRGH!!! I can't seem to decide. My OCD is really kicking in (haven't been actually diagnosed, but may as well be, lol)

I was about to order the complete OES set tonight (fork, frame, and spool sliders). I've been going back and forth between this and the full set by Evotech Performance. There are things I like/dislike about each.

Evotech - I like the rounded edges, and think the frame slider bolt looks beefier. Also like the rod with the nylock nuts on the ends for the fork and spool sliders. I dislike all the logos on the face of all the sliders though, and they are expensive. Plus, the spool slider in the rear doesn't look like much of a slider (end is pretty thin).

OES - I Like that the spool slider looks beefier (matches their fork sliders well), and no logos on the face of any of the sliders. Also like the fact that the one logo on the frame slider is inboard and comes in different colors, and I can make my own sticker if I wanted to. Like that they are made from Delrin also. Don't like that the frame slider bolts don't look very beefy, and the rod system for fork and frame sliders use screw in allen bolts instead of nylock nuts (although I have to say it does look much cleaner).

With that said, I thought I decided on the OES full set, until I came across...

Vagabond Motorsports frame sliders - The diameter is flush with the frame diameter tubing, and I think it's a very clean look against a black frame.  They don't have any logos, and don't use the frame bolts to hold them in at all.  From the pics I've seen of them, they look like they install like a set of bar end sliders - the kind that use expanding rubber to hold them in place, only these have stainless steel inserts also, and the rest is Delrin.  In a crash, I"m thinking if they stay in place, they should do their job without worry of bending/breaking the frame bolts or motor mounts/threads if the sliders get snagged on something during a crash or slide.

The edges are beveled, just like the OES stuff.  I'm seriously leaning on the Vagabond frame sliders, and OES fork and spool sliders.  Their beveled edges seem to match well, and are made of the same material.  I think that may be the cleanest look overall.

Thoughts?

- Paulie

I think OES for all of them is the way to go. I'm not sure how I like the idea of the vagabond frame slider being attached by expanding pressure. I feel like a fall at any speed could just rip them out and potentially damage the frame opening. Idk I just feel like a bolt holding the slider on would be much more durable in the event of a crash. I'll be ordering the OES sliders pretty soon.

• Global Moderator

I have been happy with the OES sliders. The bolt is pretty beefy and I checked the torque last week (after about 400 miles) and they were still torqued down properly. I agree with qjohnson that sliders that are just held by pressure will probably just rip out and not give you the protection you want. Just my 2¢, though. Also I have not tried, but I believe the logo on the OES ones are just stickers and will probably be easily removed if you prefer.

• Premium Member

Well, Vagabond just got back to me...they are not held in by pressure. It looked like that on my little phone, but it's not rubber at all. They are held in place by a screw that goes through the drain hole (I presume on the bottom of the protruding frame tube?).

So that changes things...what are your thoughts now?

:)

- Paulie

Depends how big the screw is but I still feel like it might not hold up in a crash. IMO you can't beat mounting it directly to a frame/engine mount bolt.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

One guy on this forum already went down on his bike with OES sliders on and has proven that they work very well in the actual event. No brainer in my mind.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I think the OES sliders look better than the Evotech. The bolt holding the OES sliders on is very beefy and it looks like the Vagabond sliders are held in place by a set screw. There's no way "crash bobbins" can protect as well as "frame sliders".  ;)

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

The size of a bolt isn't the only characteristic that determines strength. Material and temper play a role too. The OES bolts are plenty strong for the job.

In my experience OES has really good cust service. I ordered blue, but ended up with a red bike. Asked if I could buy new stickers amd they sent them out right away free of charge.

I was skeptical about the frame sliders appearance initially (preferred Puig Pro sliders), but have come to like it overall.

I'd buy again for any future bikes.

Everything went braap.

OES here. They fit right in, all the pieces are high quality. Haven't tested them - hopefully I will keep them untested, but aesthetically, if this is a concern, they are flawless. Plus, you can't beat the value.

I just purchased my FZ07 and picking it up tomorrow.  Today I ordered the OES combo fork, frame, and spool sliders.  They look great and the price is very attractive.  Can't wait to get the bike and install them.

• Premium Member

It's a very easy installation, takes about 10 minutes if your tools are organized. Don't forget blue loctite.

Everything went braap.

It's a very easy installation, takes about 10 minutes if your tools are organized. Don't forget blue loctite.
I thought I read somewhere on here that OES advises against using loctite?  I could be mistaken.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Global Moderator

The instructions do not say to use Loc-tite. I just put some oil on the threads as they give a wet torque value. The bolts are holding just fine and staying torqued.

• Premium Member

For the front and rear sliders in the installation pdf it said use loctite. It stated to oil the threads for the main slider, but I still used blue loctite. Almost every bolt on a motorcycle gets blue loctite, at least for me. The bolts are subject to a lot of vibration, contraction, expansion and shock so it seems logical.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Ok, well after some more consideration, I've decided on the full set by OES...

...now all I have to do is figure out what color sticker I want!!!

Oh man...I'm doomed lol.

- Paulie

I just installed the OES frame sliders. I did not use any loctite and did notice that the engine mount bolts that are removed also had no signs of loctite ever being used on them. Just an observation - not a recommendation to anyone. To each, his own.

That was seriously the easiest mod I think I've ever done on a bike haha. I don't think it took me more than 3 minutes to install both frame sliders.

On a cosmetic note... I got the ones with white decals, but decided to just remove the decals altogether. The more black the better I say!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Hubs and I just put mine on too. Super easy and we didn't use loctite, just mineral oil. The red labels look good on my red bike.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

On a cosmetic note... I got the ones with white decals, but decided to just remove the decals altogether. The more black the better I say!

Is the area where the decal goes, "recessed"? As in, is there a groove in the slider the width of the sticker for the decal to sit flush in? I looks that way in the pics I've seen, but since you removed the sticker I'd like to know for sure :)

- Paulie

Is the area where the decal goes, "recessed"? As in, is there a groove in the slider the width of the sticker for the decal to sit flush in? I looks that way in the pics I've seen, but since you removed the sticker I'd like to know for sure :) 
- Paulie

Yes, it is.  Just a little.  Not sure if this pic shows it too well:  

C5Lm78l.jpg

I think it looks just fine though.  

• Premium Member

The pics shows it perfect, and I LOVE IT. I already have an idea of what to do if the color on the OES sticker doesn't match...thank you so much!

- Paulie

Archived