The MT-07 Forum

Flash Tune Data-Link?

blackout

• Premium Member

Has anyone here installed and used the Flash Tune Data-Link on their FZ-07?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/flash-tune-data-link-ecu-flashing-kit-yamaha-fz-07-2015-2016

I'm debating whether to go this route.  I read the other thread on the Reflash Forum and think the Naysayers need to give this another look.  While you could surely mess up your fuel map, using the uploading feature of Power Commander maps should be quite safe.  I will have a custom Tyga exhaust on my bike come spring, so no reflash will be perfect.  One of my options is to install the Flash Tune Data-Link on my bike, upload the online PCV map for an aftermarket exhaust to get me in the ball park, and then when I get a chance take my bike to Hord Power for some dyno pulls.  He could then use the Data-Link to upload a new map without having to pay for a new ECU license.  It seems Flash Tunes charges a licensing fee for every new ECU being flashed. 

Any thoughts?

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Has anyone here installed and used the Flash Tune Data-Link on their FZ-07? 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/flash-tune-data-link-ecu-flashing-kit-yamaha-fz-07-2015-2016

I'm debating whether to go this route.  I read the other thread on the Reflash Forum and think the Naysayers need to give this another look.  While you could surely mess up your fuel map, using the uploading feature of Power Commander maps should be quite safe.  I will have a custom Tyga exhaust on my bike come spring, so no reflash will be perfect.  One of my options is to install the Flash Tune Data-Link on my bike, upload the online PCV map for an aftermarket exhaust to get me in the ball park, and then when I get a chance take my bike to Hord Power for some dyno pulls.  He could then use the Data-Link to upload a new map without having to pay for a new ECU license.  It seems Flash Tunes charges a licensing fee for every new ECU being flashed. 

Any thoughts?

adding link of the previous discussion http://fz07.org/thread/7307/tried 
I think in your specific case you have the right idea. You realized the limits/risks of using the flash tune on your own, and also realize that dyno tuning is real gain of this system. In your case i see it as a good buy, since you're running a custom setup and plan to get it tuned at a dyno shop. I take it since they wouldn't have to charge you for the new license you'd pay shop/tune hours only. 

• 2 months later...

I just installed it last night.  I have an akrapovic exhaust I'm planning to install in the next week which is why I bought it.  I have no intention of going to a dyno or interest in mailing my ecu somewhere but I did feel that flashing for the new exhaust would be important.  I also found fuel maps on the power commander site so I'll be loading all that up tonight.  stock map for now.  Akra map once new pipe is on.  Love the fact I can just do it myself.

• Premium Member

Yeah, I got the data link because I installed the Yoshimura R77 full system. I just got the Active tune module, too, because the exhausts pops very loudly on hard deceleration, so I know it's not quiet correctly tuned even with the Power Commander 5 appropriate fueling map. Besides, now I will be able to add the DNA filter without going to a dyno.

I surely would not change the fuel maps myself as I don't know what I'm doing.

If you do get the data link, be sure you use the stock map first - THEN apply your Pc5 fuel map over top. The "unrestricted" maps have different (wrong) AFR targets (or something?) and your bike will not run nicely.

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

My 2cents is go with flash tune, download and load a pcv5 map on it, buy ftecu's auto tune w/ wideband sensor and let the bike tune itself the rest of the way.

What happened when you used the unrestricted map Noodles? I don't want to break anything but that's what I loaded last night. I was hesitant to change anything at first since my bike is a '16 and the US map is '15, but I did it anyway and its seems to run just fine. Snappier even.

I was going to ask what your source was for that as well. I'm on an unrestricted map right now, it did run rough on idle at first but I disconnected the battery and that seemed to settle it out. I do have an SD--17 check engine code right now, which i'm about to message FT ecu about since I can't find it in the service manual chart to see what it means.

topazsparrow

I installed FTECU with the active tune module. It's expensive, but it lets me add and remove the snorkel / exhaust baffle at will.

No regrets, still looking to get my bike dyno'd.

The flexibility is more valuable to me than the 2 - 3% improvement a dyno tune would get me. The Active tune gets you 95% of the way there and is more consistent at all altitudes and temperatures.

• Premium Member
What happened when you used the unrestricted map Noodles? I don't want to break anything but that's what I loaded last night. I was hesitant to change anything at first since my bike is a '16 and the US map is '15, but I did it anyway and its seems to run just fine. Snappier even.
The engine was idling up and down in RPM like it was seeking an equilibrium it couldn't find. Warming the engine helped marginally but the problem persisted. Mind you I used that map on the stock exhaust. I tried to again with the R77 exhaust and the idling problem was gone, but it was rough - idle, gearshift, everything. I changed to stock map and then applied PC5 map over top and all of the problems disappeared and the bike was buttery smooth. Even more so than before I added the exhaust, but had applied the Pc5 stock map.

I compared the two maps, the stock FTECU map and the "unrestricted" FTECU map and saw differences in fan Temps, top speed, rev limiter (disabled entirely - no thanks!), and changes (I think) to target AFR. I think the AFR target is what caused the problems. To be honest I didn't investigate further because my machine worked again and I didn't want to fix what wasn't broken. And, like I said, I don't want to mess with engine timing or fueling as I don't know how to do it properly.

Now that I have the Active Tune on the way I expect the popping on deceleration to disappear and maybe get a bit extra power and smoothness. Then I'll add the DNA filter once it's all settled.

So, I've just been riding my bike around all day today with the new unrestricted map and I have to say it does feel noticeably smoother. I was getting some idling issues yesterday but it seems to have sorted itself out. The engine braking is much lighter making throttle on off situations much less jumpy. clutchless downshifts with throttle blips are smoother. I can also take slow corners way better since I don't have to touch the clutch so much. Overall I like it!

• Premium Member
So, I've just been riding my bike around all day today with the new unrestricted map and I have to say it does feel noticeably smoother. I was getting some idling issues yesterday but it seems to have sorted itself out. The engine braking is much lighter making throttle on off situations much less jumpy. clutchless downshifts with throttle blips are smoother. I can also take slow corners way better since I don't have to touch the clutch so much. Overall I like it!
I said the same thing until I tried the stock map plus the fueling changes. World of difference from the unrestricted map plus fueling changes. And bear in mind your rev limiter is disabled with the unrestricted map - you CAN exceed redline and damage your engine if you are not careful!

• Premium Member
Is there an "unlocking fee" for the ecu after buying this? 380 is enough lol

There is not. The $380 includes one "unlocking fee" for your ecu. You would have to buy another license to flash a friend's ecu.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Alrighty, I'll try the stock tune and overlay it with the PCV map.  Safer's always better to me!  I might finally install the Acrapovic this week too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I know this is a flashtune thread, but I bought the flashtune specifically for the Akrapovic addition. So, after installing the exhaust, I took your advice noodles and flashed the bike with the stock map with the PCV Akra map on top of it. It's perfect!!! Thanks man! You even still have the option to change fan temps and engine decel cut too. The exhaust note is night and day epic from the stock exhaust. Up hwy 33 there's a few mountain tunnels you go through and revving through there was pure ear candy.

• Premium Member
I took your advice noodles and flashed the bike with the stock map with the PCV Akra map on top of it. It's perfect!!! Thanks man! 
So I've done some thinking. The stock image with the PC5 fuel map on top isn't as smooth or as powerful as the unrestricted map with the PC5 fuel map on top. The unrestricted image has problems at idle for me though. So if it's fine at non-idle engine speeds, could it just be that the retune requires me to resynch my throttle bodies? The last time I heard my engine "seeking" an idle RPM it couldn't obtain was when I synched the throttle bodies. Until the adjusting screws were in place the idle was all over the place such that I had to give the engine throttle to keep it from stalling. I've installed the ActiveTune module and it still has the same idling problem, but the map feels smoother with more power than before. 
Anyone think the throttle body synch could be the issue with a retune like this?

I'm going to try it next time I have the tools. I'll record a before and after so you know what I was talking about with the weird idle with the unrestricted map.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Anyone think the throttle body synch could be the issue with a retune like this?

I'm going to try it next time I have the tools. I'll record a before and after so you know what I was talking about with the weird idle with the unrestricted map.
I did the TB synch last night. The idle is much smoother. It still seeks occasionally, but not as severely. And I've never felt it close to stalling on its own even with heavy deceleration or sudden throttle inputs (think blipping in neutral at a light or blipping during braking). 
Of course, the FT Active Tune module was designed to be used with their "unrestricted" map - so there's way more power and torque on tap at all times, especially in 5th and 6th on the highway. It pulls like a freight train now in comparison to the stock map.

I also pulled the snorkel and replaced he airbox cover - but kept the stock filter in place for now.

In summary: synch your TBs when you flash to the unrestricted map for your new exhaust. It'll help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I did the TB synch last night. The idle is much smoother.  ...
In summary: synch your TBs when you flash to the unrestricted map for your new exhaust. It'll help.
The problem has resurfaced - I'm going to try the solution listed here
Perhaps it's running to lean at idle, still, even with the ActiveTune module in place. I'll try to adjust the target AFR first, then the fuelling map at idle and 0 TPS and hope for the best...

Archived