The MT-07 Forum

ECU Flash Power Curve Change

philthyphil

I've been riding my FZ-07 for a couple days now with the new exhaust and flashed ECU. I am more than satisfied with the results. I noticed something kinda strange almost right away, and I just want to check in and see if any of you all with a flashed ECU have experienced anything similar. I'll do my best to describe what I'm talking about here. So, there's been a few times when I'm chugging along at around 40 mph with the bike in 4th gear. I'll go to accelerate by twisting the throttle and applying slightly more gas and the bike accelerates at what seems to be an expected force. I'm talking just a slight throttle input. Then all of a sudden, and without changing the amount of throttle that I am giving, the bike noticeably picks up speed in a non-linear type of way. Its like it hits a certain rmp in 4th gear and the boosters just kick on. At first I noticed it very subtly, but earlier tonight the bike boosted so much that it literally threw me back a little bit.

I never experienced this on the stock ECU setup. I suspect that it has something to do with how the ECU is telling the bike to deliver air and fuel now. I also have the snorkel removed now as well, so maybe this has something to do with it. I'm not complaining. It's actually kinda cool. I have very limited experience with street bikes so I hope I'm explaining this in an understandable way. To put it very simply, it seem like the power band isn't as linear as it was before the ECU flash, exhaust upgrade, and snorkel removal. Anyone else notice this?

I've been riding my FZ-07 for a couple days now with the new exhaust and flashed ECU. I am more than satisfied with the results. I noticed something kinda strange almost right away, and I just want to check in and see if any of you all with a flashed ECU have experienced anything similar. I'll do my best to describe what I'm talking about here. So, there's been a few times when I'm chugging along at around 40 mph with the bike in 4th gear. I'll go to accelerate by twisting the throttle and applying slightly more gas and the bike accelerates at what seems to be an expected force. I'm talking just a slight throttle input. Then all of a sudden, and without changing the amount of throttle that I am giving, the bike noticeably picks up speed in a non-linear type of way. Its like it hits a certain rmp in 4th gear and the boosters just kick on. At first I noticed it very subtly, but earlier tonight the bike boosted so much that it literally threw me back a little bit. 
I never experienced this on the stock ECU setup. I suspect that it has something to do with how the ECU is telling the bike to deliver air and fuel now. I also have the snorkel removed now as well, so maybe this has something to do with it. I'm not complaining. It's actually kinda cool. I have very limited experience with street bikes so I hope I'm explaining this in an understandable way. To put it very simply, it seem like the power band isn't as linear as it was before the ECU flash, exhaust upgrade, and snorkel removal. Anyone else notice this?

I absolutely noticed it in the butt dyno when I had my ECU reflash done too. The flash noticeably fixed a lot of the 'dead' spots in the RPM range as you twist the throttle. Not only did I notice the acceleration was alot more aggressive, but it was also not so linear as stock. There were def jump points where the powerband would swell harder and feel like the bike caught a second wind haha. It's been super enjoyable and useful when you become expectant of the power. It's also helped to give me a stronger drive out of corners in the canyons when it hits right as you're exiting the apex turn! It still catches me off guard from time to time when I'm being lazy on the bike. I'll accidentally slip a bit more throttle mindlessly and end up losing my upper balance for a hot second. I try to make it look casual lol. I'm currently running a full Yoshi R77 carbon exhaust with stock air filter and snorkel removed, and ECU reflashed by Graves Motorsports.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

Guest 2wheeler

I haven't noticed that problem in the 2000ish miles since my flash by 2WDW. I'm running a stock exhaust with a half snorkel and a MWR air filter from BellissiMoto.

I haven't noticed that problem in the 2000ish miles since my flash by 2WDW. I'm running a stock exhaust with a half snorkel and a MWR air filter from BellissiMoto.
Whats a half snorkel??

Guest 2wheeler
Whats a half snorkel??
The snorkel extends quite a ways into the air box, so some folks have cut off the portion that actually extends into the air box and keep the L-shaped portion attached to the lid. I did this because my bike was flashed for no snorkel, but I couldn't stand the suck sound the intake made with no snorkel. The half snorkel helped a lot with that. The more free flowing MWR filter was added to compensate for the decreased air flow from adding the top half of the snorkel back into the equation. 

If you're not flashed for snorkel removed, you need to be. It's a big change in air intake. Get back with 2WDW.
I just can't stand the noise or I would remove my intake snorkel.

I bet you can hear the difference even over an aftermarket exhaust and I'm stock exhaust.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Whats a half snorkel??
The snorkel extends quite a ways into the air box, so some folks have cut off the portion that actually extends into the air box and keep the L-shaped portion attached to the lid. I did this because my bike was flashed for no snorkel, but I couldn't stand the suck sound the intake made with no snorkel. The half snorkel helped a lot with that. The more free flowing MWR filter was added to compensate for the decreased air flow from adding the top half of the snorkel back into the equation.
I can't hear the intake suck sound over the Akrapovic Carbon w/o db killer. All I can hear is the exhaust. I've even tried listening for the air intake when I gas the bike, but the exhaust just drowns it out. I've contemplated doing the same type set up as you with my intake, but for a different reason. I ride my bike in the rain quite often, and I'm somewhat worried about water getting inside through the intake. I've been told that this shouldn't be an issue unless riding in like monsoon downpour or something, but I know next time it rain, and I have to go somewhere, all I'm going to be thinking about, and worrying about is water getting into my engine through the intake. I figure cutting the bottom half of the snorkel off, and just replacing the top snorkel part itself into the air box should still allow for decent airflow.  

If you're not flashed for snorkel removed, you need to be. It's a big change in air intake. Get back with 2WDW. I just can't stand the noise or I would remove my intake snorkel.

I bet you can hear the difference even over an aftermarket exhaust and I'm stock exhaust.
I actually can't hear it at all over an Akrapovic Carbon w/o db killer

pineappleunderthesea

My flash does the same, I've posted about it some months ago. I notice it on the freeway when slowly opening the throttle, at one point it feels like you're twisting and nothing is happening, then Bam! a bit of a power surge.

Whats a half snorkel??
Ah ok.  I may be exploring that option cause I want the water protection but plan on a flash soon when my exhaust comes in.   
Thanks for clearing that up.

Dan

• Global Moderator
Ah ok.  I may be exploring that option cause I want the water protection but plan on a flash soon when my exhaust comes in.   
Thanks for clearing that up.

Dan

Water protection isnt needed as much as you think
I have the DNA filter and lid, ive ridden through a few rainstorms with no issues. Whatever gets past the filter still has to find its way into the intake runners

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

My flash does the same, I've posted about it some months ago. I notice it on the freeway when slowly opening the throttle, at one point it feels like you're twisting and nothing is happening, then Bam! a bit of a power surge.
Exactly! 

I wouldn't worry about rain until you're fording standing water up to your crotch. Rain dribbling in is not a problem.

I'm going to have to remove my snorkel, ride and listen. Have done it on other bikes and it sounds terrible. Just haven't done it on the FZ-07 yet. OEM exhaust BTW.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Archived