The MT-07 Forum

How does the fz07/mt07ho stack against the cb500 range?

nugdam

Currently riding a cbr500. But looking to upgrade to a naked something. I am looking at the mt07ho and the new gsxs750 when it comes out. I have considered the mt09/z900 but I think they may be too much for the street.

Did anyone go from the cb500 range to the 07? I am a 100kg 182cm rider which makes things fun

I'd love to go demo one but the local yamaha only has mt07 learner models to demo.

suspiciouspackage

Almost as tall as you and 60% your weight. This is my first bike, got it almost 2 years ago and I still enjoy it to this day. I was looking at a CBR500 too but naked bikes appealed to me more. No regrets.

I rode a ninja 500 before owning my fz07. Not sure how the ninja 500 and cbr500 compare, but the 07 is a definite upgrade. Light weight, enough power to have fun, not enough power to lose control and kill yourself on. After the 500, it's easy to jump on the 07, just know your throttle control well cuz it's a bit twitchy. Great bike though, I absolutely love the 07

I test rode both the 07 and cb500 when I was shopping. The 07 was noticeably quicker and more responsive. I have not had the chance to try the Suzuki but hoping to change that this spring. On that note I am very happy with my FZ-07 and not looking to get rid of it. Just like trying as many bikes as possible.

You won't be sorry moving up to a 07 after the Honda. Power, weight, and torque make the 07 a very fun ride. The 07 is not high horsepower but it pulls like a train.

You won't be sorry moving up to a 07 after the Honda. Power, weight, and torque make the 07 a very fun ride. The 07 is not high horsepower but it pulls like a train.

Yea thats it, it sounds low on HP but on paper its got some poke.

Best thing to do is go and test ride one. Most capital city yamaha dealers will have a HO/full power demo available.

That's what I did on my lunch break - when I came back to the dealer grinning like an idiot I simply said "I'll take it!".

Best thing to do is go and test ride one. Most capital city yamaha dealers will have a HO/full power demo available.  
That's what I did on my lunch break - when I came back to the dealer grinning like an idiot I simply said "I'll take it!".

True that, might have to travel to brisbane because on the coast they only have lams bikes for demo.

I watched one of those early youtube rides and the guy was giggling within 10 seconds. It was clearly great fun so a test ride came next for me. The engine is THE BIG difference.

Just do it! 

I am in Thailand riding all the best roads for several months. I know both bikes well. As a tourer I ride the CB500X and have a 500F. My new bike of choice I have been riding is a Yamaha MT-07 / FZ-07. The Honda is a great touring bike and very forgiving and comfortable to sit on for 6 hours of riding on mountain roads and highway stretches. Predictable and a little boring if you have ridden long but an excellent bike. The Yamaha is a beast with far more horsepower and definitely the lighter flickier bike. Solid into corners as long as you don't engine brake too late. Can be a little squirrelly exiting corners if you get on the power too fast. A really fun bike and more challenging than the Honda lineup. Definitely suggest you get ecu flashed. The Yamaha is not an immediate touring setup (maybe the Tracer next year will be) and requires a better seat and good windshield as high speeds for 6 hours gets tiring fast. I am 5'10" and 85 kilos. If this isnt your first bike get the Yamaha unless you just need a daily commuter then get the Honda

Archived