The MT-07 Forum

Wrist Pain in Clutch Hand

philthyphil

That's great! I wasn't thinking about lane splitting at stops to keep you safe since I don't live there and it's not legal here. It just didn't come to mind but you're right. Since I don't practice lane splitting or see it other than in video's occasionally do people always do it, even if there's just one or two cars in front of them at a stop do people always just go between cars and cut in front of people when those people are sitting right on the line for the stop? Do people really do that? It seems rude and unlawful if they do.
i would split lane even if its just 1-2 cars... im not sure about how the drivers feel but at the red light but i usually take off pretty fast at green. im not saying that im speeding (nor am i saying im not) but i definitely accelerate to speed much quicker than cars do (on occasion... i have a video of a dude in a car "trying to race me" at the light... it got dangerous pretty quick) so i usually get out of the way of those 1-2 cars. its like as if i was never there. in terms of the law, you can still share lanes in any situation. but im now a lawyer, so dont quote me lol 
i should say though, when i first rode (i believe it was my third time on my first bike, 1985 honda shadow vt700) i was turning left at an intersection and as i was waiting i heard the tire screech behind me. all my hairs stood up and feared the worst. i check my mirror to find the car stopping at the nick of time. i was very lucky.

in that situation, i was in gear and clutch in. but usually im always in gear and clutch in when turning left or right. i guess the only time im not is when i know im not going with 15 seconds at the light?

and i know better now. since i know where im going to turn, i make sure there are plenty of room behind me (having the fz07 helps alot with that... compared to the old honda lol), give a long hand signal with turn signal, and constantly check my mirror at the stop just in case.

The very first friend that was killed in a motorcycle accident was killed by a behind hit. Stopped at a stop light, light went green car behind didn't slow and hit him full speed.

The weight on the bars thing. Light hands on the bars is a great goal except that the 07 has a crap rearward weight distribution and I find myself pushing down the front even with all the changes I have made to get front end feel partiucularly mid corner and exit. It's NOT the way it should be , but it is the way it is. It will be interesting to see if the new Tracer with it's longer swingarm rights the situation.

Botticelli is right this thing has a really light clutch ( or should). ( He is pretty good with angels also I have heard...lol).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

Yupp direct line to the angels, right here.... Who needs what? :D

The very first friend that was killed in a motorcycle accident was killed by a behind hit. Stopped at a stop light, light went green car behind didn't slow and hit him full speed. 
The weight on the bars thing. Light hands on the bars is a great goal except that the 07 has a crap rearward weight distribution and I find myself pushing down the front even with all the changes I have made to get front end feel partiucularly mid corner and exit. It's NOT the way it should be , but it is the way it is. It will be interesting to see if the new Tracer with it's longer swingarm rights the situation.

Botticelli is right this thing has a really light clutch ( or should). ( He is pretty good with angels also I have heard...lol).

'16 FZ07

philthyphil

Sorry to hear about your friend. Yea, being stopped in traffic, whether it be at a light, or stopping to make a left turn, is definitely when I feel most vulnerable on my bike. I try to keep a good eye on what is happening behind me in my mirrors. As far as lightness of the FZ 07s clutch, I don't have allot to compare it to since I haven't ridden allot of motorcycles, but I wouldn't describe mine as light. Maybe medium? It takes some amount of pressure to bring it in and hold in there. Not allot, but some. The one bike that I do have to compare it to is the Harley Davidson Street 500. These were the bikes used when I took my MSF course. The clutch on those things were SUPER light. Like the pressure was almost non-existent. I would say that the pressure to pull in the clutch on my FZ 07 is significantly more than the Street 500

• Premium Member

I had a problem with arm pump from dirt biking, till I saw at Redbud MX about 3 years ago at the 4th july races... I saw on Jeremy Martins bike had " bulged sloped" ends like on the handle of a sword from the dark ages on his bars...im thinking not much of it at the at the time till im back at work using a slide hammer type tool to expand tubes and each part had 300+ tubes...the slide weight was like 6#...after a few hrs im getting arm pump and for some reason i thought of Jermery Martins bike at Redbud...arm pump comes on quicker the more you try to grab harder on the bar with your pinky and thumb, so the solution was to increase the diameter of the grip to lessen the required force...

i used cut down pieces of popsicle sticks between the grip and throttle tube to crate a bulged sloped end on my bar ends, wont work with a flimsy plastic throttle tube...i just taped the ends over...when i did that i notoced my arm pump was drastically reduced and noticed less pressure on my wrist...you can buy MX grade wrist braces or even knee braces if you have knee problems...if you got the tools and machine to make a nice plastic piece to replace my 10 cent idea, to for it...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Well said norcal616.
Tennis players have known for decades about the importance of the grip sizing. It isn't a nice simple formula but the old way ( may still be) is the optimium size is where you get a full grip when you thumb and forefinger just touch, up to where your thumb end is about where the first knuckle on the forefinger is.
Unfortunately humans are not all the same geometry but that rule gets you a good starting point.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 1 month later...
philthyphil
Off topic, but I'm jealous you live in a place where you can put 2k miles on your bike in the middle of winter.
Haha, yea it isn't always the nicest weather in the winter here, but its usually doable. I was just super excited with having a new bike and I was riding it come hell or high water. People look at you like you're crazy when they see you riding in 35 degree weather in the rain... lol

Off topic, but I'm jealous you live in a place where you can put 2k miles on your bike in the middle of winter.
Haha, yea it isn't always the nicest weather in the winter here, but its usually doable. I was just super excited with having a new bike and I was riding it come hell or high water. People look at you like you're crazy when they see you riding in 35 degree weather in the rain... lol
You're a bigger man than I...anything under 45 and sunny and I'm taking the truck!

Archived