The MT-07 Forum

Blown signal relay??

rhoust64

I just upgraded to LED turn signals and a LED TST Industries tail light. After riding around for a bit, I noticed that my turn signals were not working anymore. The front stock turn signals are still on as running lights and the hazards do not work either. I am thinking it may be the turn signal relay that is under the fairing. The turn signal fuse under the seat is not blown. Has anyone run into this issue when upgrading to LED lights? 

• Premium Member

Did you swap out the stock incandescent flasher relay for an LED flasher relay? If not then you need one of these...(Im sure there are other brands but this one has worked flawlessly)

https://www.customled.com/products/elfr-1-electronic-led-flasher-relay

The stock relay is hidden under the left tank panel behind the large silver heat-sink, cant miss it. Its an overly simple plug and play operation.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I did not put in a new relay. I just assumed it would work fine since overall there was less of a load being pushed through to the LED lights. I was fine with the hyper flash. But, I did a bit of looking around and found this one and ordered it to see if it would help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RM26LXO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Premium Member
I did not put in a new relay. I just assumed it would work fine since overall there was less of a load being pushed through to the LED lights. I was fine with the hyper flash. But, I did a bit of looking around and found this one and ordered it to see if it would help.  
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RM26LXO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cool. Hopefully that'll do it and your flashers havent been damaged. I dunno. Unfortunately my meager offering is near the limit of my "electrical expertise".  
Everyone here is amazingly helpful with this stuff so I'm sure a bunch of options/answers will come down the line for you.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I just used the relay from TST and it works perfect. Usually though when you convert from incandescent to LED you want to swap all the lights on that circuit to LED. I swapped both my fronts and rears to LED at the same time. Your front lights being stock and rear LED, they will most likely flash at different rates. Hence why most guys that only do rear LED's install the resistors and leave the relay stock. It tricks your relay into thinking that all lights are still stock incandescent.

• Global Moderator

Check the fuses. I am not sure but I think you may have blown the signal fuse. There are two fuse boxes under the seat so do not give up after you have found one. Keep us updated on what you find.

Check the fuses. I am not sure but I think you may have blown the signal fuse. There are two fuse boxes under the seat so do not give up after you have found one. Keep us updated on what you find.
When I changed my turn signals I blew a fuse and still had a problem. I then went back and checked the rest of the fuses I hadn't checked before finding the first blown fuse and found another blown fuse so yeah, check all fuses to be sure. 10 amp fuses. 

Beemer

I thought I checked all of the fuses. But, when I installed the new relay the turn signals would still not turn on. Turns out the Parking light fuse(fuse [HASH]8) was blown and that was causing the running lights to be on, but no signal. It was kind of odd that the turn signal fuse was fine and the parking light fuse caused the blinking action to not occur. I still installed the new relay. I would definitely recommend it to to anyone looking to get rid of hyper flash.

• 2 months later...

My bikes blinkers decided to take a crap today also. My fault for putting crappy Chinese led blinkers and not replacing the relay I suppose. So tomorrow I'm going to try and find a new relay for regular bulbs (going back to stock lights) and I'll have to check the fuses also. Forgive my lack of knowledge but is a fuse for this bike something particular or could I walk into autozone or even cycle gear and find the fuses there??? Thanks for any info

It's just a micro fuse. Any hardware/automotive store will have them. Even most gas stations have them in stock but you will pay a little more there.

There's no reason the org flasher unit would actually fail if LED's are fitted
the LED's just don't draw enough currant to activate it, if you put the ORG
lights back on it will likely work why things act strange if the side light
fuse fails is that the current will try to find a path back to earth and
that's when strange things start to happen on other associated circuits

Is the "signal" fuse actually for the turn signals or is it for the horn? Seem to remember this conversation coming up. If that's the case, then it would make sense to have the turn indicators on the parking light circuit.

Keep in mind, the bike did not come to the US first, so the manual might have some colloquialisms we're not gonna recognize

Two fuses are blown, the park and the auxiliary. Going to autozone right now to get new ones and hopefully it works. If not I'm screwed because I don't wanna deal with electrical gremlins

do you have something plugged into the aux plug? It's only a 2 amp circuit, but would be really odd for that fuse to blow if not used.

do you have something plugged into the aux plug? It's only a 2 amp circuit, but would be really odd for that fuse to blow if not used.

No there's nothing plugged into the aux, i know for sure because I had the left plastic off last night.

So I just put a new fuse into the 10A park slot, turned the bike on, clicked the signals and it popped/blew right away. Damn it.

Does it blow which ever side you turn the indicators to?
if not you likely have a short on one of the indicators
on the side that does.
Could you have a trapped wire or one touching earth anywhere.

I think I clicked right and it blew right away. I'm gonna change the signals out right now and see if that changes anything. If not, I'll have to find a mobile mechanic on Craigslist. Bleh.

• Global Moderator

You need to check all your wiring on the new signals to make sure they are not shorted out. Also make sure the positive and negative wire are correct on the LED signals. You should be able to find the problem without resorting to paying a mechanic. Keep us updated on how it goes.

Ok update, threw out the crappy LEDs and put in the regular bibles signals from cycle gear. Got them all connected, turned the bike on, clicked the signals and they worked. But then I went to turn on the hazards and boom it blew the fuse again.

This is the 10A parking fuse. What's my next move guys? I made sure no wires are bare/exposed

Could it be the relay? How can I tell if the flasher relay is bad?

Update:

I changed all the red 10 fuses and it seems to be working now. Gonna check on it every few hours

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2017 at 8:06 AM, ralph said:

There's no reason the org flasher unit would actually fail if LED's are fitted
the LED's just don't draw enough currant to activate it, if you put the ORG
lights back on it will likely work why things act strange if the side light
fuse fails is that the current will try to find a path back to earth and
that's when strange things start to happen on other associated circuits

I put the old back on and my signal light aren't working. I checked the fuse, 2A and is fine. Also I replaced it with a new one and the signal lights aren't working. Please help not sure what to do.

Archived