The MT-07 Forum

Akropovic...Check, Flashed ECU....Check, Clear for take off!

philthyphil

After what seemed like forever, but in reality was only 8 days, my 2wheel dynoworks flashed ECU, and Akrapovic Carbon exhaust have finally united. All I can say is OMFG. She's a beast! During the eight days of my bike being down I was able to do some inexpensive cosmetic improvements, as well as getting the exhaust installed. I added some red pinstripe to the wheels, and a Yamaha sticker to the tank. So not only does she feel like a slightly different bike mechanically, her looks and sound have improved also. 

IMG_20170210_142230.jpg
IMG_20170210_142357.jpg

• Premium Member

I'm waiting to hear back from 2wheeldyno about my setup and (hopefully) available flash.
Nothing like the grumble of a new exhaust, better than brand new! Enjoy!  8-)

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I just installed my Akra TI the other day and have to wait a couple days till payday to mail my ECU in. Can't wait! What's your initial impressions of the flash? I've read a few but just want to hear yours.

I just installed my Akra TI the other day and have to wait a couple days till payday to mail my ECU in. Can't wait! What's your initial impressions of the flash? I've read a few but just want to hear yours.
The first thing that I noticed, and I think the biggest change, is the lessening of the engine braking. It took me a few minutes to get used to it. Before the flash, I had gotten use to the engine braking doing allot to slow the bike down when coming to a stop at a light or stop sign. I had made that part of my technique for stopping the bike. Downshifting and engine breaking. Even letting off the gas in 4th gear pre ECU flash would provide quite a bit of engine breaking. Now, after having the ECU flashed, the engine braking is still present, but it is a fraction of what it was. Can't rely on it to slow the bike down as much as before. When I first got on the bike after reinstalling the flashed ECU, I was of course riding a bit spiritedly because I was enjoying the belligerent low pitch growl of my new exhaust, and when I approached a red light I needed to shed some speed in somewhat of a hurry. Nothing dangerous, just spirited. When letting off the throttle the bike just kept steaming along. It slowed a tiny bit, but nothing like before. I had to get on the brakes and commence to downshifting. After that one time I became aware of it, and now make the proper adjustments when coming to a stop. So yea, watch out for the change in the engine braking. It definitely makes stopping the bike a little bit different. It's not a bad thing. I actually like it better. Just have to be aware of it.  
Beside the engine breaking the throttle is just generally smoothed out. No more clunking when rolling back on the the gas in 1st or 2nd gear, and it's a little smoother when shifting between gears. I guess this is because the stock ECU setup would completely cut off fuel to the injectors whenever you completely close the throttle. This caused the severe engine breaking, and throttle jerkiness. No longer an issue with flashed ECU. 

I don't know how much this is placebo, but the bike feels a little more snappy down low when you crack the throttle. It seems to have a bit more pull, and seems even more eager than before to bring the front wheel up. Nothing unmanageable but maybe a bit more torquey. It also seems to get up to speed a little faster than before, and the speed pick up is a little more sneaky than it was before. What I mean by this is that when pulling away from a light, shifting through the gears up to like 4th gear in town, I would look down at the speedometer and notice that I was going just over 60 mph. The few times that I did that I was like, oh crap, and slowed back down. I wasn't really intending to be going that fast.

And last but certainly not least, and I know this isn't placebo, is that the bike has more get up and go up on the top-end now. When taking her on the freeway I was up to 100 mph effortlessly, and almost unintentionally kinda like the 60 mph thing in town. Before the ECU flash the bike would kinda feel like it was reaching it's limits when up around 100 mph. Even around 80 mph in 6th gear it really didn't feel like there was a whole lot left. The power would flatten out up top. After the ECU flash the bikes power curve, or whatever you wanna call it, still exists up high. I think this is a combination of less restrictive exhaust, and the improving of the ECU. I also removed the snorkel from the air filter, so that may be playing some part. So as far as power gains, it feels a bit more peppy down low, but the power his improved on the top-end significantly. 

• 2 months later...
copamundial
Got a question about my Akra headers. The right header is bluing but the other is not. Should I be concerned?
I would check throttle body sync. https://fz07.org/thread/765/fz-07-throttle-body-sync

2015 FZ-07 White: Penske 8900E shock & spring, Spiegler Stainless brake lines, Woodcraft clip-ons, engine guards and frame sliders.

Archived