The MT-07 Forum

Fuel gauge off

edgar

I've never had a bike with an accurate fuel gauge.
the only way is to measure miles per gallon.
on my bike(tracer 700) the fuel gauge reads one bar flashing onto two bar and back to one.
done 149 miles ,filled her up 9.45 litres .that means there's still 7.25 litres.
that equates to 70 mpg so going by that I've got roughly 110 miles left .
on average I get about 60/64 mpg.
USA 1 gal is 3.78 ltr.
the MT07 suppose to do 60 UK mpg.
USA should get on average 50 us mpg the equate to 185 miles to a tank.
once you get to 150 I'd be looking for petrol.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/yamaha/mt-07

yeah, the fuel pump will stop when the motor stalls and that's good cause the fuel helps to lube the pump's bearings. And in the long run, a couple times of this happening is probably not gonna kill a pump outright.

But that's only part of the story as the fuel surrounding the pump also helps to keep the pump's motor cool. If you run near empty often (and that's easier as the tanks get smaller), it will take a toll over time.

KTM street bikes (especially the 690 Duke as it has a really small tank) are notorious for burning up OE fuel pumps. The pumps start to misbehave after the motor gets hot and the heat transfers to the fuel. The pump motors actually start to seize up and quit, leaving you stranded.

But KTM's are not alone - just do a google search for "motorcycle fuel pump failures"

• 2 weeks later...

I am now pretty confident that Yamaha has tried to make a "smart" fuel gauge. Instead of giving fixed number of litres remaining, the bike tries to guesstimate the remaining number of km or miles before empty. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to to this based upon the actual consumption since the last refueling, but on some kind of average over time. This is then why we find ourselves with different amounts to fill up after the E(mpty) starts flashing. It's either that, or the gauge/sensor is highly inaccurate.

On my bike, for the first 4 times, the E began flashing after 233 km, but the amount of fuel I could get in varied by 20 %. The higher the consumption displayed by the on board computer, the more fuel I had to put in.

Then, today something strange happened. My display was down to the final block with 205 km since last reset. However, after about 15 km, I got another block showing up on the display, as if more fuel had been added. In the end, the E began flashing after 256 km. I rode for another 59 km and filled it to the brim with 11.43 litres for an average of 3.6 l / 100 km. Or 65 mpgUS.

Hopefully, the thing will continue to increase in accuracy as time goes by. Ideally, in my world, the 7 segments (6 bars plus flashing E) should have been equally split in 2 litre segments. That way, you would know that when the final bar only was showing, you had 4 litres left. When the E began flashing, you had 2 litres before empty. That way it would be very easy to calculate how far until empty, and you could also slow down to stretch that a bit if required.

As it is, which is overly pessimistic, all the tank gauge does it make me worried I'm about to run dry 130 km (80 mi) before I actually would. Way too much warning.

after putting in 3 gallons (11.4 liters) I'm thinking you only had a bit more than liter or so left to run on. So 35-ish km or so? I just don't believe Yamaha's 3.7 (14 liter) gallon claim. That might be the volume of the tank w/o its internals, but until someone says they drained it and refilled with a accurate measurement, I don't think it's possible to get that much fuel in it.

Still, that's a pretty decent range. And no one's gonna complain about the performance:fuel economy ratio

One of these days I'm going to bring a bottle of fuel and run it dry to know how much it will take on.

• 2 months later...

Today, my engine began missing after a little less than 360 km. I was certain there should be at least one litre left of fuel. The stuttering became worse, and I still had a bit to go to the gas station. In the end, I began shaking the bike from side to side, which helped momentarily. We did make it to the petrol station with 365 km showing, 70.9 km since the "E" began flashing. When the fuel sat above the filler neck I had 12.9 litre on the pump, meaning there should have been 1.1 litre left in the tank. Perhaps there was. Perhaps not. Anyway, it means that there is 10 % less capacity than promised until sputtering. Pretty annoying.

That translates to 3.4 gallons.Yep, I would have guessed there was only 3.2 or 3.3 available. But clearly, Yamaha was a bit optimistic with that published 3.7 gallon (14 L) capacity

Start seriously looking for fuel at 320km (200miles) or better yet, not long after the the flashing E.

• Premium Member

if we could remove the filler neck that goes into the tank we could fit the extra gas...or at least get a vent holes around the very top to allow air to escape when trying to squeeze gas in past the fill neck

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

Tank capacity is not the same as usable fuel. There was probably still a few tenths of a gallon left in the tank, so 3.7 gallons is probably correct.

I will reiterate that if the engine, probably due to programming to warn us fuel is getting critical, is cutting out for the final 20 miles or so, it isn't usable.

Considering just how small this tank is to begin with, it would have been nice if they got their specification and reality bit closer.

The saving grace is that the actual range is still plenty good. My last fill saw 70 mpg.

Yes, the range is pretty decent thanks to the low consumption, but once you start cruising at 60-70 mph facing a headwind, climbing some mountains, I get less than 50 mpg, and then the range become rather limited.

I've had 402km from a tank which I'm pretty happy with. I filled up at that point because I didn't feel like pushing my luck (or the bike). I got 12.62 litres in so in theory there was a bit left but how much of it was usable I'll never know. Best advice is to just reset the 'avg l/100km' or 'avg mpg' (whichever you have) after each fill up. That along with the trip meter should tell you all you need to kmow and with a bit of basic maths you should be able to predict pretty comfortably how far you can get

Archived